Approaches to Composing Glitch?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Intelligent Dance Music / Electronica IDM, braindance, ambient techno, electronica or whatever else you call Warp/Skam/Schematic/Planet-Mu/Rephlex/Raster-Noton type music goes here.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
CAZABON
Learning The Ropes
CAZABON is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Approaches to Composing Glitch?

Hey all,

My name's Darryl and I'm an electronic DJ/Producer from Ireland. First off, let me say thanks for having me, I look forward to expanding my knowledge a bit more in the world of IDM! I'm currently studying for my masters in Music Technology at the University of Limerick. The reason, I'm here is because I'm in need of some guidance with regrards my research topic for my thesis. I've chosen to investigate the use of psychoacoustic phenomena as a compositional tool in post-digital/glitch music.

I'm relatively new to the world of glitch music and could only name a few of the more popular artists from the genre such as Ryoji Ikeda, Alva Noto, Autechre, Oval & Fennesz. Furthermore, I've never tried my hand at producing post digital, glitch or any form of IDM before now. So, I'm hoping that some of the more experienced members might be able to advise me on some of the well established approaches to composing glitch music. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

- CAZABON

Advertisements

CAZABON is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Traxdata by Christian Fennesz
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841
Re: Approaches to Composing Glitch?

Load this plugin into the master channel of your tracks:

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Done.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478808
Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,053 Posts

I see you use Logic, check this out:
http://nextstepaudio.com/drums/trifo...-beats-part-1/
And part 2 and everything else Trifonic put on their blog.
I followed that tutorial even if I don't use Logic, plenty of good ideas, even if you, like me, are not a fan of Trifonic. Brian is doing a great job on that blog.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
CAZABON
Learning The Ropes

Cheers guys, thanks for the replies but I think we're on different pages when we speak about glitch music (or maybe we're not?). I'm talking about the post-digital sub genre that is glitch music. Works by the likes of Ryoji Ikeda, Alva Noto & Christian Fennesz. . . Using a vst to purposly create glitches bypasses the ideas upon which glich music was originally founded. Not that I have anything against this approach, but for the purpose of my research, I'm looking for a purist approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

-CAZABON
Old 07-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478808
Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,053 Posts

That's why I was suggesting that link, as it explains how to glitch manually...

If you want to have shitloads of control on glitches, try a tracker, like Renoise and get to know your commands...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
CAZABON
Learning The Ropes

@ Automageddon; cheers again for your reply but I think there's a slight inconsistency between the two types of glitch at hand. I think that the glitch you are referring to involves simply cutting up drum samples up and re-arranging them in a 'glitchy' rhythmic pattern as opposed to music being created from sounds that emerge as a result of glitches in digital equipment. Although the glitch music that I'm referring to does display 'glitchy' rhythmic patterns aswell, there is a much more extensive process involved in finding real glitch sounds (i.e. by scratching CD's, databending, circuit bending, etc.) as opposed to cutting and re-arranging drum loops into glitchy sequences. Some examples of the work I'm trying to emulate are as follows; transform m 04 by Alva Noto, Block m by Christian Fennesz and Data.microhelix by Ryoji Ikeda.

I guess that I'm slightly confused myself as my supervisor mentioned that everyday DAWs like Logic or Pro-Tools aren't suitable platforms for composing glitch music and that a more basic program such as MaxMSP would be more suitable. I've also heard that Oval's Markus Popp uses Max MSP to create glitch music and was just curious as to what part max msp plays in a glitch composers workflow? Hope the specifics help a bit and thanks again for the previous replies!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205

You may then want to give a look at this

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Load this plugin into the master channel of your tracks:

http://illformed.org/plugins/glitch/

Done.
Sweet tits I want that shirt!.. If you want manual glitches...circuit bent and manipulated devices are about as natural as it gets. (though I could be wrong)

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
mischjok (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5746393

While this guy does stuff for Ableton, it might still be useful. He actually has a crap ton of tutorials, and makes them pretty regularly. Plus his music is pretty cool.

Link and stuff...

------------------
Say :|

bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
BeckmannM
Minor Glitch
BeckmannM has a spectacular aura aboutBeckmannM has a spectacular aura aboutBeckmannM has a spectacular aura about
padova
MC Status: 210

hei! try this max/msp based program, gleetchlab 3.. sorry i can't write urls right now, but you'll find the app very easily on google! it's cheap and very.. representative of the glitch way of thinking, like you can't save patterns - that's meant to improve your research.. you'll see what i mean!
BeckmannM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: mohn
Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #11
orodjinni
Granular Poster
orodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really nice
Texas
MC Status: 373

On the hardware side, coming form someone who uses software and basic computer hardware primarily, digital audio glitches usually occur from bad sampling and buffer overflows - basically digital hardware failures. Here's a few examples of hardware glitching:

1) One method of producing audio glitches is to use a damaged (or purposefully damaged or circuit bent) sound card. Route the output back into a working sound card and you have real, purist digital glitch sounds.

2) Use any interesting, circuit bent, or broken electronic device which might have an audio output (or any voltage output at the correct voltage matching your input equipment, for that matter) and route that into your recording equipment.

On the software side, there are many ways to produce glitch sounds. Here are a few examples:

1) Sampling any data from a non-sound file (binary or otherwise) into an audio file (.wav) will generally produce some strange hisses, groans, artifacts, glitches, and occasionally even musical scales, chords, or tiny melody-snippets (if you're lucky). This is all dependent on what sample size and sample rate you use.

2) Sending bad data to the soundcard. (eg. wrong sample-rate)

3) Sampling a sound at a lower sample rate and/or bit-rate that it was originally sampled.

4) Use a programming language to produce sounds. I often try strange C++ programs using DirectSound or OpenSound and adjust low-level parameters of the audio stream, the drivers, and direct communication with the soundcard. Many cheap $5 Soundblasters have gone the way of its brethren by that method - some have fried in a really neat and useful way!

5) Most importantly, chopping and arranging glitch noises, modulating, granularizing, beat repeating, and all other kinds of high-level sampling techniques that modern DAWs provide is the best way (in my opinion) to get music (or something like it) out of raw, nasty, 8-bit death-croaks.

6) Mid-level audio production tools like Max/MSP and PureData are also good tools - I can't explain everything that those wonderful gems do.

Hopefully this was something you were looking for. If you want some more specific info on any of this, lemme know.

Last edited by orodjinni; 08-06-2012 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: formatting for clarity

------------------
orodjinni is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #12
orodjinni
Granular Poster
orodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really niceorodjinni is just really nice
Texas

Just thought I'd throw this in as well. Modern glitch uses basic glitch components which were first used (probably not intentionally) in the earliest electronic music. The best productions combine nice organic analogue sounds with raw glitch sounds. This way is doesn't sound like a Chernobyl Gameboy is playing to you 'the song of its people.' But sometimes that's a nice thing, but very few people can pull it off. Autechre's Gantz Graf seriously sounds like nothing but a binary sampled down, chopped up, and tuned here and there for some slight musical resemblance.

------------------
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by orodjinni View Post
The best productions combine nice organic analogue sounds with raw glitch sounds. This way is doesn't sound like a Chernobyl Gameboy is playing to you 'the song of its people.'
This its the best quote ever. Rivaled only by the wisdom and wit of Brainfucked.

------------------
Thanks to jVs
orodjinni (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Hosaka
Minor Glitch
Hosaka will become famous soon enough
Tropical paradise on another planet
MC Status: 60

Great posts orodjinni! Even though I didn't ask anything, I have to thank you for this information.
Hosaka is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hosaka
orodjinni (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
Jbinary sampled down,
what does this mean

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAZABON View Post
I guess that I'm slightly confused myself as my supervisor mentioned that everyday DAWs like Logic or Pro-Tools aren't suitable platforms for composing glitch music
With the exception of that horribly useless dBlue Glitch plug in garbage, and other things like it, I personally don't think there is any right or wrong way to make "glitch."

For me I find sampling, effecting, resampling, chopping, rearanging and repeating this process ad nauseum to work just fine.

Saying this one thing can make glitch, whereas that other thing isn't "suitable" is kind of like telling someone they can't break glass with their foot because the proper way to go about it is to smash it with a hammer. Either way you go about it shits going to wind up broken.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
orodjinni
Granular Poster
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpuercofeo View Post
what does this mean
All data files are strings of binary. A .wav file is a binary (not to be confused with an executable binary) which has all of its sampling information stored with it. This information includes the bit-rate and the sample-rate. With this information intact in the file, an audio player knows how to read the binary to produce sound. Bit-rate and sample-rate allow you calculate the number of bits in each bin (8-bit music uses 8-bits for each bin). Bins are the rectangles which approximate the waveform (like the rectangles in a Riemann sum).

If you take a random file, say the Windows Solitaire executable, and stream those bits into a sampler, you can produce many sounds simply by adjusting the sample-rate and number of bits in each bin.

Worth noting here, if you decide to try these methods, is that low sample rates, low meaning significantly lower than the frequencies in the samples (look up Nyquist frequency on Wikipedia) create harmonics in the resulting waveform. You've probably noticed the change in pitch resulting from changing sample-rate in a bitcrusher.

------------------
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
orodjinni
Granular Poster
Texas

Quote:
This its the best quote ever. Rivaled only by the wisdom and wit of Brainfucked.
Quote:
Great posts orodjinni! Even though I didn't ask anything, I have to thank you for this information.
Pahaha! Thanks guys. Jhon, I'll make sure to team up with Brainfucked in the next thread you make an appearance in!

------------------
Currently Listening To: my neighbor's alpaca screaming at a goat
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #19
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74605010
Thanked 1,242 Times in 856 Posts

Quote:
All data files are strings of binary. A .wav file is a binary (not to be confused with an executable binary) which has all of its sampling information stored with it. This information includes the bit-rate and the sample-rate. With this information intact in the file, an audio player knows how to read the binary to produce sound. Bit-rate and sample-rate allow you calculate the number of bits in each bin (8-bit music uses 8-bits for each bin). Bins are the rectangles which approximate the waveform (like the rectangles in a Riemann sum).

If you take a random file, say the Windows Solitaire executable, and stream those bits into a sampler, you can produce many sounds simply by adjusting the sample-rate and number of bits in each bin.

Worth noting here, if you decide to try these methods, is that low sample rates, low meaning significantly lower than the frequencies in the samples (look up Nyquist frequency on Wikipedia) create harmonics in the resulting waveform. You've probably noticed the change in pitch resulting from changing sample-rate in a bitcrusher.
ok gotcha. i am aware of the process, just never heard a non-audio file called a 'binary' before

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

All this talk about glitch....kinda makes me tingly inside. Makes me wanna destroy artificial sound with a slicer and fx!

Advertisements

------------------