Who uses loops?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 16-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
alturic
Regular Freak
alturic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Who uses loops?

Ok, so I've lurked the forum long enough and got alot of really good information as well I might add but something's been bugging me for a few months now. I'm not trying to bash any of the "small guys" since we are all small in the beginning (and I am by no means a household name) but how many of you guys who have and do consistently sell their works use loops?

I'm not talking about samples of drum hits, claps, kicks, etc, I'm talking actual loops that are longer than ~2-5 seconds worth of those hits/claps. I'm talking intros, breakdowns, etc style loops. Things you didn't actually "produce" in the first place.

I don't know why, but as much as I see the reasoning for wanting to cut down on production time I just feel like it's cheapening your creation. I know that 10+ seconds worth of a loop isn't the full song and the other 3+ minutes worth of your "producing" is what makes the song, but I don't know it's hard to explain my exact thoughts on it really. I just feel as though I'm cheating myself if I was to use them.

I guess I'm really curious if any of the "big boy" producers use loops (ones that anyone can buy and aren't made exclusive for them) in their works which would probably change my view on it (lol) but yea. Sorry to make a wall of text asking a simple question.

Thanks for all the information you guys have contributed to the site though!!

Advertisements

alturic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026
Re: Who uses loops?

Unless you're hip-hop, or radio/commercial music producer, don't use loop.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
edwin_sagayaraj
Learning The Ropes
edwin_sagayaraj is currently spamming hard

loops sounds not good a and not acoustic...
edwin_sagayaraj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
alturic
Regular Freak

Thanks guys, I figured as much but with the amount of loops and construction kits around I didn't know if it was more-so to show "anyone" can make music or if it was a staple of the industry.
Old 19-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
nooob
Minor Glitch
nooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MCnooob is a savage MC
MC Status: 35822

Use anything that inspires you.
nooob is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooob View Post
Use anything that inspires you.
this.

I use loops i make myself (and martin does too) for our theMaLm live project. we wouldn't be able to do it otherwise
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #7
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

I'll happily use loops and have zero problem with them, I've even contributed to commercial sound libraries that included loops I wrote from scratch.

Loop use and mashing is something I enjoy, in fact there are certain types of sound that are incredibly hard to get if you dont first render a loop and then play with it afterwards in your sampler.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

I use loops plenty, but I do have my reasons. Probably like 90-95% of all the loops I use are drum/percussion based. Lets assume I do not own a drum set, drums, or any percussion instrument of any kind. How would I go about "producing" my sounds? well...sample packs, right? ok... Say I want to make a drum loop of actual drumming? yeah yeah get a kick drum sample, snare sample, crash cymbal sample, etc etc.
Sure, I'll be "producing" all right (even tho you didn't make/record the samples in the first place, you just stuck them together and called it "your own," but that's a different topic), but it would sound like shit, no matter how original it was.

If I want to get a real, organic drum sound, I can get the next best thing (and best sounding in many cases): loops.

"But YoMyEx, that's cheating! wtf are you doing using loops, you lazy, good-for-nothing, worthless, unoriginal bag of cunts? You are not worthy of music! Get the fuck off my forum!

/rant

TL;DR - I don't use loops because they are loops, I use loops for the recordings, which can sometimes be unattainable. You got a problem? well fuck you.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

You mean pre-made loops? Because I'm pretty sure i use one shots and loop them...lol

I only use guitar licks when need-be or i sample hits, chop them up, render, comb filter them, compress, etc and repeat, resampling is AMAZING, learn to utilize it.

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
:mayonesa::mayonesa:
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #10
alturic
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paggos View Post
You mean pre-made loops? Because I'm pretty sure i use one shots and loop them...lol

I only use guitar licks when need-be or i sample hits, chop them up, render, comb filter them, compress, etc and repeat, resampling is AMAZING, learn to utilize it.
Heh, yea I mean pre-made loops. Using instrument hits is a different story. I don't know I've seen a few people talking about "can't come up with ideas? download this loop pack" and thought to myself, jees just but loop packs and mash them all together and call it a hit.
Old 19-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

Quote:
Originally Posted by alturic View Post
Heh, yea I mean pre-made loops. Using instrument hits is a different story. I don't know I've seen a few people talking about "can't come up with ideas? download this loop pack" and thought to myself, jees just but loop packs and mash them all together and call it a hit.

Honestly, just listen to music to get ideas for little loops or something, and if it works, use it...but i personally don't...i edit them and get the same time signature / groove, but make the sound my own, i also apply etch or something if i REALLY love the sound of the original loop, and take my loop and layer it with the original, works, and technically you're making your own sound out of it.

------------------
www.fb.com/page.paggos
:mayonesa::mayonesa:
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478408
Thanked 3,096 Times in 2,049 Posts

I didn't know there were so many "non-musicians" here.
I'm so musician that I draw my waveform cycles in photoshop then import them in a sampler so I can create sounds out of then then I import in different sampler so I can create loops that I can later export as loops and actually use as loops...

In other words, nothing wrong with using loops as a starting point, but I'd never make a song out of untreated loops only or "construction kits"...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
alturic
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I didn't know there were so many "non-musicians" here.
I'm so musician that I draw my waveform cycles in photoshop then import them in a sampler so I can create sounds out of then then I import in different sampler so I can create loops that I can later export as loops and actually use as loops...

In other words, nothing wrong with using loops as a starting point, but I'd never make a song out of untreated loops only or "construction kits"...
I suppose I should have been a little more descriptive with my wording of "loops" because I meant loops in the sense of construction kits.

I know most people consider a loop something different from a sample/one-hit (hell everything is a sample if you didn't make it technically) just as it's something different from a construction kit which I haven't downloaded or bought any but I assume is basically pieces you COULD string together to make a full song with minimal production by you.

Last edited by alturic; 19-04-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 19-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Unless you don't care if another producer uses the same loop (essentially the same compositional idea) as you do, don't use pre-made loops as they are.

Unless you don't have original ideas for loops or don't know how to create/arrange your own custom loops, don't use pre-made loops as they are.

Unless you're forced to take shortcuts in production due to time constraints etc., don't use pre-made loops as they are.

Last edited by Blank^; 19-04-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Merk&Kremont
Learning The Ropes
Merk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MCMerk&Kremont is a savage MC
MC Status: 125467

Loops are not that bad, something they really get your track sounds like how you'd like, and something they easily offer nice rhythim ideas.
We use them but of course they are not that easy to manipulate instead of creating your own loops, so sometimes it's nice to recreate a loop that you like
Merk&Kremont is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
aurex
Regular Freak
aurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MC
MC Status: 3899266

I actually try to avoid loops for these reasons (except for like a shaker loop or conga loop):

1. You learn a lot from making them yourself.
2. You can create your OWN sound and be original.
3. There's always something that doesn't quite fit timing- or soundwise.
4. Loops block my creativity and make me lazy.
5. I don't like the sound from most libraries.

I hate that the latest samplepacks contain like 450 loops en 35 single hits.

But that's just me of course.
If you like loops and you can create good stuff with 'em just enjoy and use as many as you want!
aurex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #17
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12852260

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurex View Post
I actually try to avoid loops for these reasons (except for like a shaker loop or conga loop):

1. You learn a lot from making them yourself.
Agreed.

Quote:
2. You can create your OWN sound and be original.
You can do this with loops too, in fact many of the most creative artists out there use cut up and re-assembled loops all the time.

Quote:
3. There's always something that doesn't quite fit timing- or soundwise.
Yes, and quite often that is a GOOD thing. The bits that dont fit often actually add texture and interest.

Quote:
4. Loops block my creativity and make me lazy.
That's your personal issue not anyone else's.

Quote:
5. I don't like the sound from most libraries.
Fair enough steal loops from stuff you DO like.

Quote:
I hate that the latest samplepacks contain like 450 loops en 35 single hits.
I agree. I tend to only buy sample packs with lots of single hits these days myself.

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false.
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
aurex
Regular Freak
aurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MCaurex is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikighost View Post
You can do this with loops too, in fact many of the most creative artists out there use cut up and re-assembled loops all the time.
Yeah okay I have to agree with that, if you start cutting them up then you actually can make your own sound.
My bad, I had to say "standard loops with no alterations, used as is". I also use bits and pieces of loops but in a way that you would never recognize the original after my mangling and abusing.

Quote:
Yes, and quite often that is a GOOD thing. The bits that dont fit often actually add texture and interest.
Although I occasionally find this truth, most of the time the groove sits "in the way" because it hasn't been made for my track. But you're right that once in a while it can provide you with something interesting.
For me that's like 1 out of 20 times but that can be different for you.

Quote:
That's your personal issue not anyone else's.
I never said it was anybody's else Everybody makes music in their own way.

Quote:
Fair enough steal loops from stuff you DO like.
Who said I would steal haha

Conclusion: like I said before - you have to do what suits YOUR workflow.
If you use loops - fine - if you don't - equally fine.
I just gave my personal opinion and I'm well aware that other people work differently!

Piece :victory:
Old 19-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #19
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurex View Post
You can create your OWN sound and be original.
from using pre made single shots? that makes you "original"? really?
two words: double. standard.

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
aurex
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMyEX View Post
from using pre made single shots? that makes you "original"? really?
two words: double. standard.
I make my own hits regularly and I'm constantly looking for unconventional sounds and non-commercial samples. I sample a lot myself and freesound gets it's use too.
But I definitely see what you mean, I do use samples from commercial packs also Being truly original is quite hard indeed.

Last edited by aurex; 19-04-2012 at 09:42 PM..

Advertisements