making and using old school chord stabs (jungle techno etc)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 17-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
making and using old school chord stabs (jungle techno etc)

I have been basically trying to learn the chords and melodies from my favourite songs for practice and it occured to me that with the old school stuff I really like which has melodies often made up of about 2 or 3 chords, it is always the same shape- I dont know theory so just to describe it, you would have your pointer finger on the c then middle and ring finger each on a white key with one white key in between ie the most basic shape.

Anyways just to do a test I played one chord into my sampler and low and behold I could play all the melodies from my favorite songs pretty much by just using a single key since its always the same chord shape.

So, what I want to ask is: whats the deal here? When they were making this music were they actually playing the chords as a musician would or were they just using 1 chord sampled onto their samplers and making their melodies from that one chord?

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Barry Acid
Eternal Echoer
Barry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MCBarry Acid is a savage MC
Dublin
MC Status: 77072
Re: making and using old school chord stabs (jungle techno etc)

a lot of that of old stuff was made up using Minor chords. As for your question, I suppose they could of done it either way. Btw, Let's hear an example of the tunes ur talking about. Here is a nice one I like anyway,

------------------
Try only to surpass your own previous accomplishments instead of beating others
Barry Acid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Acid View Post
a lot of that of old stuff was made up using Minor chords. As for your question, I suppose they could of done it either way. Btw, Let's hear an example of the tunes ur talking about. Here is a nice one I like anyway, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
The stuff starting at 2:34 in your track!

also 5:30 and after in this song:

Also starting at :38 here (the chords)

These kinds of chords almost characterize the whole time period and Im wondering if these were actually individually played or if this sound was perhaps a result of the musicians only working with samplers and then just borrowing synths, playing one chord and sampling it to be used across the keyboard...??

Nice track BTW!
Old 18-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378667

I think I know what you mean. Like a chord that's sampled and then just playing it it whole over the keyboard. I used to do this early with loops and samples. Just pitch the chord sample up and down a bit. It's technically a different chord but has that sampled quality when you pitch up and down. Too much and it will start to sound bad.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
henryspencer
Digital Surfer

Is there some sort of historical context as to why this sound was used so much in those days? Does it have to do with the fact that synths were expensive so people would just borrow a synth and sample a few chords and then just work with those?
Old 21-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryspencer View Post
Is there some sort of historical context as to why this sound was used so much in those days? Does it have to do with the fact that synths were expensive so people would just borrow a synth and sample a few chords and then just work with those?
I wasn't working on electronic music at that time, but based on what I have read and what I can figure: the answer is basically yes, furthermore, samplers had limited sample memory.

Somewhere on IDMf there is another thread floating around about jungle sample CD's. Even though I started making music much later, the number of electronic music sample CD's today is still exponentially larger than at that time - as far as I understand there was basically not really an industry catering to colour-by-numbers electronic music (unfair characterisation I know ). To me this is cool because it meant that it gave a lot of coherence to those old tracks, but on the other hand could also result in forumlaic garbage. There also were of course no DVD's so the amount of samples was less. Among other things this would mean that you would be unlikely to get a range of samples across the keyboard for a given sound.

Since no one else has mentioned it: the chord you are describing is a C major chord. Having also recently began to compose with sampled stabs more, one of the things about them is you can really only use one or two notes without the track structure going completely insane.

While my music theory is shaky, the reason has to do with modes. If you have a track where you are using only the white keys, traditionally musically speaking you could use the C major stab on the C, the F and the G. The reason, if you play it on any other keys you are effectively pressing the black keys (which may clash with other notes in your track), which is changing the key of your track for that moment.

Hope this makes sense. I wrote far more than I should have.

Last edited by TL072; 21-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: fixing my illiterate writing

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote