Beat Battle 19 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 21-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #41
fontlame
Radial Developer
fontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant futurefontlame has a brilliant future
Paris
MC Status: 1960
Re: Beat Battle 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
Some battles had breaks, some had an extensive selection of drum samples, some expected you to design your own. Some people said they wanted to use their own, now you say the opposite. Some people tried to follow the rules in earnest, some just did their usual thing over and over. Some people focused on the samples, others on the rules. Variety is good in my bpok.

Anyway, I was remarking on the overall boringness of the rules and the reactions we've been getting over the course of 19 battles. This particular battle presented almost no challenge at all so I don't think the lack of participation has anything to do with that.
But choosing your own drums is contrary to the challenge of a sample pack battle. Of course variety is good, but i don't feel any kind of "conceptual" battle ("Here is a timestretched sample of me hitting my head against a wall, you must turn this into a DnB tune using at least for one mesure your own samba congo break in 5/4") any more stimulating and challenging than a good sample pack (good means : samples that you would honestly use as there are for the most part, and you think there is enough variety for you and others to build a whole track with them) and no rule except for "You must use these samples exclusively".

Not complaining, just proposing that we try the simplest

Advertisements

fontlame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #42
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446483

I thought the samples and rules for BB19 were good. I was going to use the rule about the drums to record room percussion which is always an interesting challenge to me. Also, to me the whole point of the beat battle is to give everyone the same limitations and starting point and then see what everyone comes up with.

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #43
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontlame View Post
But choosing your own drums is contrary to the challenge of a sample pack battle.
This is the second edition of the "beat battles" and originally, it was meant to be about making beats, like in the hip-hop way of making beats. Making beats is selecting a few samples from different sources, laying out some drums and maybe a new bassline on top of it. That's why the first edition of the beat battles were just a long sample including voices, horns, other instruments, whatever, and the rules were that you were to use this and add drums and bass to make a beat out of it.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #44
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

so TL : DR -----

BB's are taking a break and will be back. if i can say anything about the fall and winter seasons, music is made aplenty during those times.

??? - again its nobodies fault, not yours lebeux. i feel like you think that in some small way cause of your BB. not true bruv
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
lebeux (21-05-2015)
Old 21-05-2015, 11:31 PM   #45
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

It's not so much this particular battle as the overall concept, I've been tweaking it as we went along but the perfect balance of being fun, accessible, and inspiring/challenging people to try new things remains elusive.

You probably can't keep everyone happy all the time, but in the end if nobody else thinks it would be hilarious to make a reggaeton cover of the godfather soundtrack using fart sounds the whole concept was bound to fail and needs to be revamped

Last edited by lebeux; 21-05-2015 at 11:46 PM..
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
Lug (21-05-2015)
Old 21-05-2015, 11:53 PM   #46
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

haha I think people like the idea of it but actually making it needs a bit of effort

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
I/O_Madness (02-06-2017)
Old 22-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #47
LouTheOpossum
Analog Lurker
LouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Just my two cents here. It feels like giving a precise theme to work with kills the creativity and make the creation boring. A good way to replace that was when people gave precise genre to work with (ex. Drum and Bass).
LouTheOpossum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #48
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouTheOpossum View Post
Just my two cents here. It feels like giving a precise theme to work with kills the creativity and make the creation boring. A good way to replace that was when people gave precise genre to work with (ex. Drum and Bass).
I had a funny idea for a battle that I was saving for when it was my turn to host that's kind of related to this. Instead of giving a theme or a genre, I was going to give a life situation that the music had to be written for. My idea was to make a track that's designed to be played loudly by a car sitting at a stop light to look like a badass and/or impress the cute chicks in the car next to you. I think that would make it more entertaining and possibly hilarious to listen to the different tracks from a battle picturing a life situation, and the genres and styles would still be all over the place.

------------------
Old 22-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #49
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouTheOpossum View Post
Yeah the whole forcing people outside of their comfort zone was supposed to achieve the opposite of that but it seems to just end up blocking most folks.

Also, the format was supposed to allow for all kinds of wacky challenges but a lot of the time it was just kind of boring. Surgeon's idea was pretty cool. I had ideas for representing a feeling, scoring a short movie, stuff like that but I ended up posting this one because I thought it was easy, boring and not demanding in any way and could be interpreted as peeps wished. Didn't turn out too well lol

also my WIP for this was dungeon as fuck

Old 22-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #50
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Yeah the whole forcing people outside of their comfort zone was supposed to achieve the opposite of that but it seems to just end up blocking most folks.
but we all know it shouldnt [block them]
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #51
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

I don't think your rules, samples or anything related to the battle were the reasons no one did a track, I just think it's the time of year in general.

------------------
Old 22-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #52
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Yeah I know, we'll be back in september or whenever but I'm trying to figure out how I could improve the format.
Old 22-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #53
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

i think this will always happen with the battles. after a while a certain group forms and then they all start missing it a few times thinking they will go back. then when nobody takes part they never go back. theres nothing wrong with the rules!

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
lebeux (27-05-2015)
Old 27-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #54
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8760

I totally dig the battles. I didn't post anything for the last couple of ones because I've been working more and have been away from the DAW but I always download the samples and at least begin to make something out of them. I'd be stoked if they continued and would make more of an effort to contribute if they did!
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #55
Lug
Soxdix

beat battles need YOU to keep them going

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
LouTheOpossum (27-05-2015)
Old 27-05-2015, 09:15 AM   #56
nametag
Radial Developer
nametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond reputenametag has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Beat Battle Army needs YOU! iRack has modular weapons of mass beatstruction! YOU can help bring democracy to Arpghanistan!
nametag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #57
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer

All it will take for the battles to start is 3 - 4 people to commit to making something and a sample pack. I don't think this will be a 2-3 year pause like last time. There still seems to be interest. I'd spearhead it, but I'm probably out for a little while. I'll be back in by the fall at the absolute latest.

------------------
Old 27-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #58
LouTheOpossum
Analog Lurker
LouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to allLouTheOpossum is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
There are always 3 to 4 people that say on every battle that they will submit something. Then they just don't.
Old 27-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #59
lebeux
IDMf Artist
Madrid

Yeah that's the thing.

Maybe if we make them monthly?
Old 27-05-2015, 08:27 PM   #60
LouTheOpossum
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Yeah that's the thing.

Maybe if we make them monthly?
That's even worse. Stones Throw make weekly beat battles. You have 5 days to make them and these battles work like crazy.

I think there should be a prize, like 200$. That would work great.

Last edited by LouTheOpossum; 27-05-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Advertisements