BB64 - Come to the Dark Side
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 13-09-2017, 01:37 AM   #1
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 9110
BB64 - Come to the Dark Side

BB64 - COME TO THE DARK SIDE

We have cookies.

>> THE RULES <<

You must follow these rules explicitly unless an optional rule states otherwise... Bonus points*^ may earn you cookies...

1 - Multi Genre:

Must pick something 'dark' in timbre including but not limited to:
Dark Techno, Darkstep, Ambient (Horror/Suspense/Thriller), Trip-hop, Darkwave, Metal, IDM... wtf is witch house?
I dunno... be creative, keep it dark.

2 - You must add at least one of the following:

An additional instrument (Organic or Electronic)

A self-captured field recording of anything but an instrument

A vocal sample of the cookie monster (BONUS POINTS)

A sample^ for the Beat Battle:
^Upload* a sample for everyone to add to their track.
Sample must be made in accordance to rule 1.
*Bonus points if anything you upload resembles a Star Wars effect.

3 - FX Limitations:

Some degree of reverb on everything - except master bus*

*NO FX to be used on Master bus! Pre-master everything separately if you feel you need to.

Optional Rules:

Exceed 3 minutes in track length - Submit 2 tracks - Make a music video - Make artwork - Make a meme...

Invert all the rules for bonus points i.e.
Light timbre
You may not add anything to the sample pack or add any of the other members samples... no cookie for you.
Reverb on master bus ONLY AND no fx on anything else...

May the force be with you.

*^Bonus points are irrelevant.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

>> THE DEADLINE <<

All submissions due by Midnight on Wednesday 27th September (A whole fortnight). This is a longer than average period for this compo so we can resume a normal Saturday start afterwards. We will still have a day to vote and a day to prepare after this finishes on Wednesday.

All times are UTC.

THE CHALLENGE

The battle host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the additional rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the battle host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The battle host must create three additional rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the battle by posting a link to their entry in the battle thread. Unless the additional rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognisable. The host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

Last edited by Neuralsphere; 15-09-2017 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: NEW SAMPLES!

Advertisements

------------------
Soundcloud|You Tube|How Do Music|Broken Beats (D&B Comp)|BB64
JOIN LE CHAT: >How Do Music< >IDMf<WARNING! DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
Re: BB64 - Come to the Dark Side

Sorry about the delay with pack 2, Will have it up today at some point. Any general requests?

------------------

Old 15-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #3
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11477804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuralsphere View Post
Sorry about the delay with pack 2, Will have it up today at some point. Any general requests?
Sounds of ninjas, darth vadar, inbred seals and people selling lemonade.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
brb (15-09-2017)
Old 15-09-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Sounds of ninjas, darth vadar, inbred seals and people selling lemonade.
All boxes ticked, definitely got all bases covered with the sounds now! That seal was tricky, found it though... poor thing...

ONWARDS SAMPLE PACK 2 NOW READY! I think... links on thread start under the first one

Last edited by Neuralsphere; 15-09-2017 at 01:12 PM..

------------------

Thanks to Neuralsphere
I/O_Madness (15-09-2017)
Old 15-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69885369

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

ISTR you saying you like digiscratching.

Edit: wow that came out shittier than expected.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
Neuralsphere (16-09-2017)
Old 15-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

ISTR you saying you like digiscratching.

Edit: wow that came out shittier than expected.
I love DJ/turntablist effects. That's essentially how I approach music production.

EDIT: I wouldn't necessarily say digi-scratching, but anything with a DJ-centric approach I think is cool (the only real scratching is with a turntable as far as I'm concerned but if you can fake it, then more power to you)

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 16-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Hope everyone's enjoying the samples I've got a drum pattern down and imported and manipulated a fair bit of the samples so far. Playing with vocals... Made a teaser trailer Great pick with vader and the seal I/O You win teh internetz today

Edit: Added light saber wubs and moar reverbs.

Last edited by Neuralsphere; 17-09-2017 at 08:24 PM..

------------------

Thanks to Neuralsphere
brb (16-09-2017)
Old 16-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Rule 2

2 - You must add at least one of the following:

A sample^ for the Beat Battle:
^Upload* a sample for everyone to add to their track.
Sample must be made in accordance to rule 1.
*Bonus points if anything you upload resembles a Star Wars effect.

I'm making cookies now

------------------

Thanks to Neuralsphere
brb (16-09-2017)
Old 16-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #9
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836877

Right dark techno finished...pure moods done...Im back for some fun stuff.!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

I've started organizing some samples - I'll try to do something with a self imposed time limit tonight!

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Neuralsphere (17-09-2017)
Old 16-09-2017, 11:32 PM   #11
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

There's my mandatory added sample. I made it from a recording of Palpatine's throne room music from Episode VI, hopefully jiggered and pokeréd enough to pass undetected through the corporate sample spotting algorithms (but since I just told the world what it is, the jig is probably up).

------------------
Thanks to brb
Neuralsphere (17-09-2017)
Old 17-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #12
brb
Commie SJW

Oh and here's a wip:

..For some reason my heavily automated/randomised/FSUified digiscratching keeps going very minimal when I render it. I'm going to have to hit the record button at some point to get it to come out right.

------------------
Old 17-09-2017, 04:43 AM   #13
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Oh and here's a wip:

..For some reason my heavily automated/randomised/FSUified digiscratching keeps going very minimal when I render it. I'm going to have to hit the record button at some point to get it to come out right.
If you're just recording midi, remember you're controlling control data only as accurate as the points in which it creates... one issue I've had with recording midi stuff... you can play and it sounds good, but the program only creates so many points that change how it's going to sound... really, you just need to record the audio.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 106800
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,376 Posts

So far it sounds like I'm making some Dark IDM. Going to have to go through and add some reverb to all the channels including the bass channel pretty soon.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Quite like that throne room sample @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Thanks for adding I might make a weird interlude thing with it. Just finished chopping up the light sabre... fiddling with levels, making an instrument...

BTW

Adding samples to the BB isn't mandatory in case people are confused about Rule 2 I'll reword, I did on discord last night but yeah: You have to tick one of the 4 suggestions I made, or more, but at least one. So you can effectively; add a sample to the BB for everyone, and add a field recording for your personal use, and add an instrument and sample the cookie monsters voice (excuse the Oxford commas).

------------------

Old 17-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #16
brb
Commie SJW

I forgot about Cookie Monster (and I thought the samples were mandatory). I like Oxford commas, but hate inappropriate use of semicolons.

------------------
Old 17-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #17
brb
Commie SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
If you're just recording midi, remember you're controlling control data only as accurate as the points in which it creates... one issue I've had with recording midi stuff... you can play and it sounds good, but the program only creates so many points that change how it's going to sound... really, you just need to record the audio.
I'm using the internal control voltage system of FLS, which has thousands of data points (0.000... to 100), and though my time domain/parts-per-quarter value isn't massive, what I'm doing in terms of forwards/backwards/fast/slow/volume up/volume down shouldn't be troubling Mr. Nyquist at all. I think the rendering fuckup is at the point when FLS bunches up blocks of audio data when rendering. That must be kind of quantising the controller data which is a realtime thing (and based on the dynamics of two different audio channels). I think most of my strange rendering issues stem from my persistence in using this process. It's just the luck of the draw if I choose a plugin that struggles with it, I think.

I really should record that sort of shit anyway and select the best takes, but I'm a lazy cunt.

------------------
Thanks to brb
I/O_Madness (17-09-2017)
Old 17-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #18
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Oxford commas ftw

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 18-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #19
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Found this cool website for sounds thought I'd share in case anyone doesn't know... probably just me... well just in case... [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Me have cookie!

------------------

Old 18-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #20
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Quote:
I forgot about Cookie Monster (and I thought the samples were mandatory). I like Oxford commas, but hate inappropriate use of semicolons.
;-)

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to Neuralsphere
brb (18-09-2017)