Velocity sensitive samplers.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7910
Velocity sensitive samplers.

I bought the Akai MPX16 some time last year. It's fucking horrible. Who ever thought the product was ready to sell is a moron.

I need a new velocity sensitive sampler. The only ones of that style that I can find is those two Akais, and the Electribe S2. Are there any others I haven't found? I don't want to haul around a keyboard sampler. It needs to be compact, able to play looping samples, and obviously be velocity sensitive. Budget is maximum 300, but only that high if it's a pretty fucking good piece of kit. Any ideas?

Advertisements

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222281334
Thanked 2,603 Times in 1,734 Posts
Re: Velocity sensitive samplers.

velocity sensitive pads or able to receive velocity data? (or whatever the term is)

quite a few samplers don't have velocity sensitive pads but they do accept velocity data. You could get a velocity sensitive pad controller and trigger the samples via midi this way

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer an all-in-one solution, in honesty, but if the price is right then that's something I'd consider.

Forgot to mention, SD capability is preferred, those old smartmedia cards are expensive and annoying.

------------------

Old 10-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
I bought the Akai MPX16 some time last year. It's fucking horrible. Who ever thought the product was ready to sell is a moron.

I need a new velocity sensitive sampler. The only ones of that style that I can find is those two Akais, and the Electribe S2. Are there any others I haven't found? I don't want to haul around a keyboard sampler. It needs to be compact, able to play looping samples, and obviously be velocity sensitive. Budget is maximum 300, but only that high if it's a pretty fucking good piece of kit. Any ideas?
Second hand mpc 1000 with jjosxl

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Second hand mpc 1000 with jjosxl
At nearly 500 as standard, that's well beyond my budget.

------------------

Old 10-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

well if you are specifically wanting to do finger drumming stuff I would probably get a quality controller with nice big pads and link it up to your computer or a sampler. most of the time the pads on samplers are there so you can work with a track and input what you need to input, smooth sexy playability is usually not a priority. the only hardware sampler I can think of right now that has large pads is the mpc range and I think those pads are dog shit tbh

ive never touched one of these but traditionally people have always really highly recommended them:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

as far as I'm concerned all akai pads are absolute wank. theres the m audio trigger finger too that has always had good reviews. you can pick up an old one so cheap if you want to try it out. you could use it to trigger your mpx16 if the pads is what you thought was shit about it

EDIT: the best pads I ever touched by a country mile were on my maschine mk1 controller. maybe you could pick one of those up cheap now too

------------------
Old 10-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Its mostly for triggering loops, not finger drumming, but I sometimes use timpani samples that need velocity. The Akai has a dip in volume when a sample loops, it's a fucking embarrassing oversight.

------------------

Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

well honestly I think in that price range youre going to be wanting to use something in conjunction with your laptop. a novation Launchpad and ableton will allow you to trigger loops perfectly in sync all day long. as many layers and loops as you like. even expensive samplers wont be as adept as this combo, usually not even as close, unless you program the loops in yourself on the sequencer. 300 euros isn't a lot to be playing with.

the only sampler you could get with velocity sensitive pads, and a great deal of functionality is the electribe 2 sampler. (I forgot about this one) check that out. let me know how you get on!

------------------
Old 11-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #9
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269455608
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,780 Posts

To be honest, I know it's out of budget, but I recommend saving a bit longer for a 2nd hand MPC1K.
Even without JJos or with the free JJos, it is a great sampler.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530230
Thanked 6,786 Times in 4,836 Posts

I think the context of what you are trying to achieve overall is important here. If you only need velocity occasionally is there some kind of work around? Like if you are already just laucnhing loops why not pre create the timpani as loops and just launch them along with the rest.

So is this for live? The studio? I agree with FMB, if vel senistive pads are only a minor part of the equation it doesn't seem to get too bent out of shape about it. I'm currently trying stop myself from overcomplicating a setup : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #11
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I think the ES2 will be the way to go. Seeing what Daniel Kerr can do with it gives me hope.

------------------

Old 13-09-2017, 03:10 AM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530230
Thanked 6,786 Times in 4,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
I think the ES2 will be the way to go. Seeing what Daniel Kerr can do with it gives me hope.
He is an Electribe wizard! I'm back with an ES2 as well, so feel free to PM me about it (not that I'm an expert or anything).

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I have a Lyra8 being made, and promised the wife either a KP3 or Empress Reverb for Christmas, so it'll be a while before I get an ES2. It's officially on my big list of gear to buy, so sometime next year I'll definitely be asking you for some tips.

------------------

Old 14-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Sheiknbeik
Regular Freak
Sheiknbeik will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

What do you guys think of the new Elektron Digitakt?

Advertisements

Sheiknbeik is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote