Glitch Art With Notepad Anyone?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 27-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno
MC Status: 610
Glitch Art With Notepad Anyone?

Hello everyone.
I just love bug stuff and glitch things and from some days I'm interesting about Glitch Art - if
we can call it that way - basically it is to open a .jpg file or any digital image, using the Windows Notepad, we just see a very long "programming string" with a lot of strange stuff inside xD
it's just impossible ricognize something about the origianl image, is just a code that we can modify (cutting some parts o duplicate some other parts??) for try to create some image distortion, filters, zooming...

there is some free seite u can use to create a easy glitch file from a random image, but i'm realy interesting to understand some about this codes, anyone have try/made some things like this?

it's not a c++ lenguage or script/Java, it's just a strange code and is so hard to make it work! in 99% of try I have made I've create just a trash image that no software was able to open, maybe there are more powerful image viewers that can "force the opening of these compromised files" but have created virtually nothing.

By experience people have to say that the best thing is to create many clones of the same image to intervene these and not ruin irrimediabilmnete in original file. I also add that to find the notepad on your comp it just right click on an image and do "open with ..." and look for the notepad
really easy

sorry for my bad english hope all is understable

EDIT: http://blog.animalswithinanimals.com...imer-part.html i've find this nice tutorial, or primer, about glitch art, si more accurate and i got why a lot of my .jpg file just destroyed ahaha

is a nice way to make are i think ^^

Last edited by l3ug; 27-07-2017 at 01:52 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69886519
Re: Glitch Art With Notepad Anyone?

This reminds me of the old fad for opening random files as raw wav files (almost everything sounds like Merzbow).

I'm going to give it a shot... brb....

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

All I can make is a junk file that GIMP and MS Paint can't open, so fuck it!

------------------
Thanks to brb
A.M (27-07-2017)
Old 27-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
All I can make is a junk file that GIMP and MS Paint can't open, so fuck it!
Ditto here..no matter what I do, add, edit or delete, all I get is a corrupted file at the end of it, that no image viewer will open.

So..yeah..fuck it times two! :notafinga:

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11710

Yeah I played around with it a bit over the last few years. Used it on an EP cover of mine as well

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
I have more but I can't find the folder I put them in.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 02:43 AM   #6
brb
Commie SJW

Unfucking it.

Original:
Code:
Glitched:
Code:
It seems the thing to do is to tell GIMP to open it as a RAW file by clicking on the doodah that says "Select File Type (Automatically Detected)", then you get a load of different options that you can preview.

------------------
Old 28-07-2017, 03:01 AM   #7
brb
Commie SJW

One more...

Code:
Code:

------------------
Thanks to brb
l3ug (03-10-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744030091
Thanked 7,253 Times in 4,508 Posts

I'm pretty sure there's an old thread on here somewhere about this exact same thing from a few years back,
but can I find it?
Nope.
If I see it I'll link it here.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
l3ug (03-10-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387899
Thanked 5,078 Times in 3,312 Posts

The start of a file usually contains header information. Edit further along in the file perhaps?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (29-07-2017)
Old 28-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #10
brb
Commie SJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post
The start of a file usually contains header information. Edit further along in the file perhaps?
Wordpad makes its own edits kind of randomly though, whenever it finds a string that looks like a line break or whatever.

I think you basically just need to force open the corrupt files as a raw image (afaik ms paint cannot do that).

------------------
Old 29-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #11
Khouroux
Granular Poster
Khouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to allKhouroux is a name known to all

You have a pretty good site for all the glitch and datamoshing stuff (but i'm not allowed to post link ^^), it's datamoshing.com

Personally, I had made this thing, I don't really know if it's good or bad
Code:
Khouroux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #12
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

it's useful to do this for quick glitch effects in images that you can cut up and photoshop for more control
kinda like splatter painting on a computer
Just make sure you rasterize a lot

Code:
You can also glitch videos by opening them in audacity and applying reverb, echo, etc.
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:43 AM   #13
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

I used one of those sites to do this sort of thing a while back when creating a little promotional piece for one of my past mixes.

Code:

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #14
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimal Prime View Post
I used one of those sites to do this sort of thing a while back when creating a little promotional piece for one of my past mixes.

Code:

That looks pretty cool, OP..don't have the link to that site by any chance, do ya?

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

I can't actually remember the site I used as it was a while ago but I just found this cool looking site with many different interesting applications you might be interesting in playing with.

https://www.airtightinteractive.com/demos/

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #16
l3ug
Microknight
l3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to alll3ug is a name known to all
Livorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
Unfucking it.

Original:
Code:
Glitched:
Code:
It seems the thing to do is to tell GIMP to open it as a RAW file by clicking on the doodah that says "Select File Type (Automatically Detected)", then you get a load of different options that you can preview.

thank u! i pretty love this stuff, some things:
i discover that .bmp, .jpg and other file type have a different programming line explenation for notepad ++, notepad ++ is super good for make this stuff

the shortcuts:
Cntrl C copy
Cntrl V paste
Cntrl D dulicate
Cntrl Z annul
Cntrl Y back
Cntrl S save.

with this command are so fast and easy make glitch stuff, the danger si that some stuff don't work and is sooo random

personaly i just make some clone of the original image and work on this ^^

i have make a lot of glitch stuff in this weeks

https://www.instagram.com/checco_bug/?hl=it

this my instagram profile, u can see here 30+ glitched stuff i made
with notepad++, paint (for zooming, cut, copy-paste, resize stuff) and Gimp for add contrast and drapping with artistic effects

quite easy and good

------------------
Philip K. Dick

Thanks to l3ug
Daggit (07-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
l3ug
Microknight
Livorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
it's useful to do this for quick glitch effects in images that you can cut up and photoshop for more control
kinda like splatter painting on a computer
Just make sure you rasterize a lot

Code:
You can also glitch videos by opening them in audacity and applying reverb, echo, etc.

the immage here is soooo deamn cool boy!
loove it
can't get it about audacity and open video here :0
i never try to open a video or a audio file with notepad xD
can u say me more about? that's sounds soo cool! I really want to make some editing video under my music for my YT channel, maybe this can be cool! pM me if u want or just type here ^^

------------------
Philip K. Dick

Thanks to l3ug
Daggit (07-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #18
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

If you want slight effects, using Notepad++ is way better. It can actually open .raw files without fucking with them, so you can do your own (slight) edits. Wordpad is kind of a pain, but sometimes it greats results when you re-import to photoshop with different settings.

Original:
Code:
Here's notepad++: I just erased some text, replaced some parts with DICKS DICKS DICKS and smashed my keyboard gently.
Code:
Here's Wordpad. Nothing but export/import. Effect basically uncontrollable but holy shit I got lucky with this one. This is basically the most useful one in a while - the top looks great. Usually the entire image is like the bottom part of this picture.
Code:
Generally it is best to do composites. Bend same image a few different ways and photoshop the parts you like together.

You can also save, re-import, rotate, etc. Here's a few passes of np++ and flipping around in photoshop in between in 90 degree increments.
Code:

Last edited by Blingley; 08-10-2017 at 06:15 AM..

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:56 AM   #19
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Shit! That last one is beautiful

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote