What books are you currently reading?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 17-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!
MC Status: 2413671
Icon11 What books are you currently reading?

I didn't see this thread anywhere in the forums

Been reading The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
https://g.co/kgs/gJ6VXG

This book is absolutely beautiful, except it's not narrative and it carries no plot. It's basically a new form of poetry; Pessoa writes his deep contemplation of life, and it's deep man.

another book I picked up because I figured I'd read Pessoa every now and then, is Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer
https://g.co/kgs/qTnfoj

basically just a book on memory and the essence of memory; Really easy book to read, most I've read (around 60 pages a day), almost done with it.

The next book on my list is The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud
https://g.co/kgs/Dc1CxD

haven't read any of it yet, but I'm interested in what he has discovered by analyzing dreams.

Interested in what y'all are reading!

Last edited by Qianta; 17-06-2017 at 01:59 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
COME SHOW YOUR CREATIVITY, MAKE SOMETHING IN LESS THAN 20 MINUTES!

Qianta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Qianta
Lug (17-06-2017)
Old 17-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538730
Thanked 6,956 Times in 4,948 Posts
Re: What books are you currently reading?

I tried reading Dhalgren by Samuel Delaney but had trouble getting into it. I think the last novel I finished was Fuckness by Andersen Prutny, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I kinda has a Catcher in the Rye feel, but magical realism and the main character makes Holden Caulfield sound like a whiney trust fund hipster millennial.

Was thinking of re reading American Gods because of the show coming out and all.

Oh, also got a good bit of the way through Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds, but I've left the book in an odd place at home and keep forgeting to bring it to work.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Lug (18-06-2017)
Old 17-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52060
Thanked 1,041 Times in 767 Posts

Just finished "War Without Mercy" about racism and it's influence on the war in the Pacific. It's a case study in how racist ideas develop, are leveraged during conflict, and how adaptable they are once the conflict ends.

Followed that up with Conquistador by Buddy Levy, which details Hernan Cortez' conquest of the Aztec Empire. The story of the discovery of the New World is probably the grimmest in all of history. For a more holistic perspective I'm now reading American Holocaust by David Stannard. In the prolog he sets the tone by outlining the stunning duration of the systematic extermination of native populations in the America, which has continued unabated from 1542 through the 20th Century. Go far enough back in history and there is dirt to be found for any country and culture.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu - hard sci-fi/socio-political thriller from China's best sci-fi guy. Highly recommended thusfar.

Playing at the World by Jon Peterson - a brief 700 page history of table top wargaming.

Swing Time by Zadie Smith - on deck to read once my wife finishes it.

A whole heap of comic books.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Qianta
IDMf Artist
Qianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MCQianta is a savage MC
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!

Damn I wasn't expecting this kind of feedback so far haha, I was expecting some troll to say "yo mayne we in a mosik forum mayne ain't nobody here no read no book mayne"

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I tried reading Dhalgren by Samuel Delaney but had trouble getting into it. I think the last novel I finished was Fuckness by Andersen Prutny, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I kinda has a Catcher in the Rye feel, but magical realism and the main character makes Holden Caulfield sound like a whiney trust fund hipster millennial.
I liked Catcher in the Rye... ok and while I was going to type something, I changed my mind. I was going to say that he just complains during the whole story, but then again he's just a teenager, with good intentions. And I can totally relate to him with that. I think I should re-read it again soon, it's a nice short story.

Also that book Fuckness, jesus what is it about? I just read a small review/summary and it's about demons? but you say it's like catcher in the rye?
@liquid_air

I really like that you're reading books on global/local history/happenings. I want to read more on the same topic, but my primary focuses (mathematics/computers) keep me very busy. What would you say would be a great start in understanding, and/or formulating a concrete political opinion structure? I hope I make sense :p
@Artificer
"Playing at the World" look really interesting! I've had to program some original board games/card games in my life, and the theory behind some games are extremely interesting! Thanks for sharing mate

------------------

Old 17-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

There was totally a thread for this a while back with quite a huge number of posts. I wonder if it got lost in a forum cleanup

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Code:
Only juggling 2 for now, usually I have like 5 going at once

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Qianta (17-06-2017)
Old 17-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #7
Qianta
IDMf Artist
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!

What's "The disaster room" about ?
Yeah I made sure I "searched" Books but I didn't find anything

edit:
I just found the other thread.....

------------------

Old 17-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #8
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39960

Greg Sestero talking about the making of Tommy Wiseau's The Room (Greg played Mark, if you've seen that terrible movie).

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52060
Thanked 1,041 Times in 767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qianta View Post
Damn I wasn't expecting this kind of feedback so far haha, I was expecting some troll to say "yo mayne we in a mosik forum mayne ain't nobody here no read no book mayne"

I liked Catcher in the Rye... ok and while I was going to type something, I changed my mind. I was going to say that he just complains during the whole story, but then again he's just a teenager, with good intentions. And I can totally relate to him with that. I think I should re-read it again soon, it's a nice short story.

Also that book Fuckness, jesus what is it about? I just read a small review/summary and it's about demons? but you say it's like catcher in the rye?
@liquid_air

I really like that you're reading books on global/local history/happenings. I want to read more on the same topic, but my primary focuses (mathematics/computers) keep me very busy. What would you say would be a great start in understanding, and/or formulating a concrete political opinion structure? I hope I make sense :p
@Artificer
"Playing at the World" look really interesting! I've had to program some original board games/card games in my life, and the theory behind some games are extremely interesting! Thanks for sharing mate
That's a tall order, your opinion structure. Start by reading opposing books, don't shy away from (intelligent) books by people holding views you don't agree with. Such as, if you're US based: Francis Fukuyama, Noam Chomsky, and Pikketty. I personally like to read about stuff that went really badly wrong. Such historical lessons tend to be important. Read things your hear and read a lot about. Turning points in history. Biographies of people that have shaped history. Don't waste time reading pundit books or obstuse philosophical waxings. What cannot be said in a few simple words that make a clear point, most often tends to lack substance and is not worth your time. Worst of all are business books and self help guru BS.

Some really eye opening books were: Everything is Obvious - Ariely; Thinking Fast, Thinking Slow - Kahneman; Gods Jury - Cullen Murphy; Red Terror - Robert Conquest; Hitler's Hangman; Pol Pot; Legacy of Ashes - Tom Weiner

That should cover human deviance across ideology, cultures, and ages.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993430
Thanked 4,064 Times in 2,636 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qianta View Post
The next book on my list is The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud
https://g.co/kgs/Dc1CxD

haven't read any of it yet, but I'm interested in what he has discovered by analyzing dreams
funny, I just bought myself a book that explains how Freud himself, and then after his death, his daughter and members of the Freud Archives have made, and are still making (I'm so sorry for the structure of this sentence) great effort to make unavailable or even destroy many writings of Sigmund's and his correspondence with colleagues. The bottomline is that Freud is such an "idol", that they seem to be afraid those documents might be bad publicity for the man they consider a genius alongside Einstein, Newton, and Galileo.

More than a few books have been edited here in France that try to undermine the influence of Sigmund Freud and his psychoanalysis on popular beliefs about human psychology, and on psychotherapeutic practices.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Currently revisiting two oldies..Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig, who dies earlier this year..and Does God Exist? by Hans Kung.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7110

Just finished American Gods and Anansi Boys by Neil Gaimann. I liked Anansi Boys better of the two. Both were good. I don't know why I never read them before, I have read almost every other NG book out there...just never got to it I guess.

Now I am reading some interesting Sci-Fi by Greg Bear called Strength of Stones. Very interesting read revolving around religion and the concept of sin...... IN SPACE!!!!!!

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #13
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181510
Thanked 3,630 Times in 2,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
Now I am reading some interesting Sci-Fi by Greg Bear called Strength of Stones. Very interesting read revolving around religion and the concept of sin...... IN SPACE!!!!!!

Check out another of his called "EON" if you haven't already..really great read and a classic.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Artificer (20-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #14
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33160

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Check out another of his called "EON" if you haven't already..really great read and a classic.
Absolutely. Eternity, the follow up, was good as well. Blood Music is another classic of his. Unfortunately, the latest one of his I read, City at the End of Time, was a confusing mess that never went anywhere for me. I still need to check out Hull Zero Three.

If people are looking for hard sci-fi, Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence are both pretty amazing.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (20-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #15
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107300
Thanked 2,120 Times in 1,381 Posts

Reading some really depraved erotic science fiction online right now. Amazing series, but fucked up as hell. If a 4 balled alien who's semen grants super powers doing battle across the universe appeals to you, hit me up for the link.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Vault O))) (21-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #16
Qianta
IDMf Artist
YEAH THAT'LL SHOW EM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Reading some really depraved erotic science fiction online right now. Amazing series, but fucked up as hell. If a 4 balled alien who's semen grants super powers doing battle across the universe appeals to you, hit me up for the link.
Code:

------------------

Old 20-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #17
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993430
Thanked 4,064 Times in 2,636 Posts

got this manga, collection of stories by jiro ishikawa. Main bit is about a literal knobhead who whacks people with his elongated penis. The artist is a sad character, basically homeless. Intense shit. Demented.

Code:

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
Oatbag (20-06-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 12:00 AM   #18
Ms.DeeWelch
Minor Glitch
Ms.DeeWelch is just really niceMs.DeeWelch is just really niceMs.DeeWelch is just really niceMs.DeeWelch is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I'm currently reading 'Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus'..
Such a helpful book. I totally love the approach and style of the writer of this book.
Ms.DeeWelch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 12:56 AM   #19
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329124900
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,163 Posts

what? you guys actually read books?
currently reading
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 01:59 AM   #20
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Genetics: From Genes to Genomes to (yes it is a textbook, I am teaching Genetics next year. )
also reading...
The Martian Chronicles Bradbury
after that
Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury (for some reason I escaped this one in school.)

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote