the nu MPC live and MPC X
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 16-06-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733436
the nu MPC live and MPC X

what do you think of it ?

it looks like it could be the sample groovebox i"ve always dream for
and it seems like a cool piece of hardware for live

Advertisements

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24710
Re: the nu MPC live and MPC X

A few people on here already have one.
I am sure you can look around for their opinions but the gist seems to be that there is room for improvement on some things but overall people seem happy with them. Just manage your expectations, it's not an octatrack killer or anything like that.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51210
Thanked 1,024 Times in 758 Posts

Now, for what it's worth, you can do your sample editing in tethered mode by re-sampling and then go standalone. How about this: all your plugins are available.

It's not an Octatrack. It's not a Digitakt. It's MIDI sequencer, sampler, DAW standin.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269455608
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,780 Posts

I have one, I have no idea about how it works when connected to your computer, I only did that to load some samples to the memory.
I'm really enjoying it so far, sampling is dead easy (compared to the Octatrack for example),i 'm using it mostly to sample from hardware or from Ipad apps and to create kits (one shot sounds assigned to pads) or programs (single or mutlisampled instruments) from samples, layerign is dead easy, effects are plenty if not really outstanding (except for the tape delay that has plenty of character and can feedback fro days).
To give you an idea, a kit can have 8 bancks of 16 pads each.
Each pad can have up to 4 samples and up to 4 effects.
Plus 4 sends.
And 4 effects on the kit.

And effects on the master.

You will have maxed out cpu and memory before you can use all of them, but as you can imagine, you can do a lot...

For me it shines in sound design and immediacy, getting something going is dead easy, the mix of touchscreen editing and manual or step sequencing is really nice.

I would not call it a DAW though, I think Akai pushed the marketing speak too much and it backfired a bit, this is a sampler/sequencer with the addition of 8 audio tracks.

I only played with clips briefly, so I wouldn't know what to say about that.

Now on the negatives.
Modulations are quite basic, you get filter envelope, amp envelope and an assignable lfo, to volume, pan or pitch.
There are some crashes (mostly when powering down but as I save often and you can set auto save I never lost anything), the interface and workflow could do with a bit of an improvement (but again, what could work for me might not work for you) the reverb is a bit basic (but resampling is so easy you can just use an external chain) and in programs samples are repitched rather than time stretched (this is a classic Akai MPC thing though, hence you mutli-sample and add loop points).

For me, the pros greatly outweight the cons.

Last edited by Automageddon; 17-06-2017 at 12:01 PM..

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Last night I connected my Ipad running Nave on midi channel 1 and Attack on midi channel 10 and had a great time sampling and sequencing it all to the Live.
Live midi out to the expansion box of the K-mix, K-mix connected via lightning cable to the Ipad for audio and midi.
With the same setup I can use the Ipad for sound processing, or if I connected the K-mix to the laptop, same setups opens up the computer for additional audio processing and resampling in the Live.

Good times were had.

------------------
Old 19-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51210
Thanked 1,024 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Last night I connected my Ipad running Nave on midi channel 1 and Attack on midi channel 10 and had a great time sampling and sequencing it all to the Live.
Live midi out to the expansion box of the K-mix, K-mix connected via lightning cable to the Ipad for audio and midi.
With the same setup I can use the Ipad for sound processing, or if I connected the K-mix to the laptop, same setups opens up the computer for additional audio processing and resampling in the Live.

Good times were had.
So, you used the MPC as a MIDI controller to play Nave? Or did you also attach a USB keyboard?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
So, you used the MPC as a MIDI controller to play Nave? Or did you also attach a USB keyboard?
I used Nave to play the mpc, record notes and play them back on Nave, but I could also use the MPC to play nave directly

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
liquid_air (19-06-2017)
Old 19-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8530230
Thanked 6,786 Times in 4,836 Posts

If I had a much larger disposable income I would give which ever the flagship one is a shot for the end of the chain in a all hardware live setup. Seems like its *almost* a DAW in a playable piece of hardware.

However a good laptop and Maschine or Ableton and Push with a good interface with plenty of I/O and a mixer could be cool was well in a similar regard.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote