Logic Environment - route modulator data to a parameter
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 24-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #1
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC
MC Status: 13439
Icon5 Logic Environment - route modulator data to a parameter

hi there! I'm struggling with lfo / modulations in logic pro x. I know what I'm trying to do can be achieved just using logic environment, which is total mistery for me (yet).

so, I have an audio track with an active channel eq set as low pass and I just want to modulate the lowpass frequency with logic's modulator.

I imagine that the best way is to set up a new midi track with a modulator midi fx and route it's CC data to the audio track's eq. as far as I know you can do that in logic's environment using a trasformer object but I can't figure out how to do this.

also, this is just an example. I know there are a thousand workarounds to do this but I need to learn midi stream routing in logic's enviroment!

thanks!!!!!!

Advertisements

Cat3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 03:28 AM   #2
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI
MC Status: 1760
Re: Logic Environment - route modulator data to a parameter

Hmm, my first question would be: why not just find a plugin that does this? Or are you looking to affect the filter in a specific way? There are obviously a TON of plugins that do pretty much everything under the sun...

I also highly recommend logicprohelp [dot] com/ for Logic questions.
clocolan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
Cat3
Deep Underground
Cat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MCCat3 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat3 View Post
this is just an example. I know there are a thousand workarounds to do this but I need to learn midi stream routing in logic's enviroment!!
thanks for the advice but as I said I was just trying to learn logic's environment. modulations are core part of my sound design so I tried working in bitwig instead of logic pro and I just love it!

------------------
Old 30-12-2016, 02:49 PM   #4
clocolan
Analog Lurker
clocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant futureclocolan has a brilliant future
Providence, RI

Ah I see. I'm amazed that I've never heard of Bitwig; it looks fairly comprehensive.
Old 30-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Cat3
Deep Underground

it's basically a hybrid of ableton live and logic, the two daws I used formerly. it's really great if you already have a comprehensive 3rd party plugin range since bitwig's native synths and effects are rather... ehm... basic.

------------------
Old 30-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
clocolan
Analog Lurker
Providence, RI

I think 3rd party plugins/instruments are all I use anymore...what a wonderful time to be writing.
Old 30-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51010
Thanked 1,020 Times in 755 Posts

I looked up Bitwig and I am intrigued. What do you see as the main advantages? How well is Maschine actually integrated? I sort of know my way around in Logic, but it's still rudimentary, as I do the vast majority of my production in Maschine and on hardware, so Logic really is a recording medium only (for me). I may need some MIDI or automation functions, but I know those well enough.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 01:31 AM   #8
Cat3
Deep Underground

I always used ableton for the clip view, the sample browser and the modulations devices that come with maxforlive. love the signal splitter for parallel processing and the mixer routings. I hate ableton's arrangement view and automations.

logic sounds better imo, mostly since the native plugins are really great. the arrangement is a lot easier and all the panels (mixer, piano roll, browser etc) are in the same window accessible via simple shortcuts. cpu impact is lower. modulations are just a mess, sometimes you have to patch the environment just to put an lfo on a eg frequency.

bitwig takes the best bits of ableton and logic I said above plus a couple bonus, as the browser, hybrid audio+midi tracks, layered editing, mpe suport, 32 bit plugins support, smart collections for plugins and samples, moreover, clip and arrangement view can be opened side by side. the cons are poor native devices and cpu hit just slightly higher than ableton.

regarding maschine, I just love how the maschine channel on the mixer can just be expanded to see all the individual outs without having to mess with mixer groups. midi to groups and to notes work well, you can create an empty instrument track and route the midi to maschine in a second. I always sequence maschine from the daw so I never tested the integration on that side. what issues are you worried about?

Last edited by Cat3; 31-12-2016 at 01:43 AM..

------------------
Thanks to Cat3
liquid_air (31-12-2016)
Old 31-12-2016, 02:54 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Not really worried, just curious about it. Especially since I saw they came out with a Maschine Jam mapping.

------------------

Old 31-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Cat3
Deep Underground

just try the demo, now that they solved almost all the bugs it's a pretty solid daw. I really don't miss anything from live and logic if not some of the native content

------------------
Old 31-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

I might just do that.

Don't the native plugs stay available as AU/VST from your Logic or Ableton copies?

------------------

Old 31-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744022991
Thanked 7,111 Times in 4,429 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #13
Cat3
Deep Underground

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
native plugins of a daw are never available to use from another daw as they are embedded in the daw itself, not installed in the system vst folder. unfortunately.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
sorry for the off topic

------------------
Old 22-01-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
Cat3
Deep Underground

hallelujah, in logic pro 10.3 you can modulate any native plugins' parameter in a click. finally!!!

edit: it works also on third party plugins. chapeaux.

Last edited by Cat3; 23-01-2017 at 08:43 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Cat3
lolirl (23-01-2017)