Wavetable softsynth comparison (Serum, ...)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

View Poll Results: Best wavetable synth?
Massive 2 14.29%
Serum 10 71.43%
Codex 1 7.14%
Icarus 1 7.14%
Falcon 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110
Wavetable softsynth comparison (Serum, ...)

Hi guys,

I am using a lot of wavetable synthesis for sound design and I am wondering about what people think about the different wavetable synths available in comparison. The most flexible wavetable synths I currently know about are the following:
- Xfer Serum
- UVI Falcon
- Tone 2 Icarus
- NI Massive
- Waves Codex

What do you think about the different synths based on wavetable synthesis? Are they all very much alike or completely different in your opinion? Are you using more than one wavetable on a regular basis, and, if so, which ones and why?

Personally, I use Xfer Serum and UVI Falcon (this one does a lot more than wavetables). Serum is my go-to wavetable synth. I use it a lot for bass, lead, FX and drum sounds. Some time ago I I got Falcon for building more complex patches than possible with Serum, using additional oscillators and effects and I like it very much, too - but especially for the additional granular and other synthesis options.

However, recently, a friend recommended Icarus to me, and after dling the demo a few days ago, I have to say, I am very impressed. Even though I like a lot of stuff in Serum much better (modulation assignment and matrix, lfos, effects rack, design...), the oscillators and especially the resynthesis engine is awesome imo, very flexible options for quick sound design and very fast and pretty good (voice) resynthesis (the whole plugin seems to be fast and light on the CPU).

So, what are the thoughts of experienced wavetable synth users on Icarus and other contemporary wavetable synths?

Advertisements

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
RFJ (11-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25310
Re: Wavetable softsynth comparison (Serum, ...)

In theory I liked serum a lot. But the sound never did it for me. It's not a bad synth by any means, it's just one of those where I ended up beating myself over the head trying to get it to sound like something it's not.

Icarus on the other hand, got me where I wanted pretty quick. It just has a lot more life to it. Too bad about serum. The GUI is great and it's easy to work with, just never really clicked with me.

Also, I think the virus TI is a terrific wavetables synth. Sold mine though.. I don't want to talk about it

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:01 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I can't really compare because I only use Serum but I love it. I've only recently picked it up in the last 60 days so I'm far from an expert but I've found it to be very capable just using it as a standard 2 OSC subtractive synth using basic waves. Wavetables themselves sure, this I know, but standard use none the less if you get what I mean.

From a sound standpoint I've played my fair share of synths over the last year, including a Virus Ti I owned for several months, and quite honestly I've found Serum to be my favorite. Maybe it's me but I think it has the snappiest envelopes I've heard and I love how you can layer clicks and mix them into the attack right within the synth itself.

I don't really like metallic sounds or growling basses but I've found much use for the synth outside of those normally associated with Serum type of sounds.

Just posting my thoughts because I'm interested to see where this thread goes.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
mnkvolcno (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:45 AM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I can't really compare because I only use Serum but I love it. I've only recently picked it up in the last 60 days so I'm far from an expert but I've found it to be very capable just using it as a standard 2 OSC subtractive synth using basic waves. Wavetables themselves sure, this I know, but standard use none the less if you get what I mean.

From a sound standpoint I've played my fair share of synths over the last year, including a Virus Ti I owned for several months, and quite honestly I've found Serum to be my favorite. Maybe it's me but I think it has the snappiest envelopes I've heard and I love how you can layer clicks and mix them into the attack right within the synth itself.

I don't really like metallic sounds or growling basses but I've found much use for the synth outside of those normally associated with Serum type of sounds.

Just posting my thoughts because I'm interested to see where this thread goes.
Haha.. pretty great that you posted the inverse of me.

But that serves to illustrate a point. One thing I've realized over the years is to freaking trust your ears. I think a lot of us have sounds in our heads that we're trying to get to. If you pick up a tool and get to that sound, congratulations, you can stop searching now.

I guess I have a really tastes. It's pretty easy for me to tell if a synth is going to do it for me. It's almost arbitrary really. It's not that synth a is better than synth b.. just that some get closer to what I'm after.

I think that in the end you really just have to try it out and trust your gut. Text is just about the worst way to decide what synth is for you.

And by the way, if serum was the only synth I had, I'd be perfectly happy. It's a "no excuses" machine without a doubt.

------------------
Thanks to mnkvolcno
RFJ (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

^I think you're right on there about trusting your own ears and your gut. It's interesting also how you say it's easy to tell if something is going to be for you or not. I can usually tell within the first hour if I'm going to get on with something or if it's not going to be to my liking. Probably quicker than that actually if I'm honest.

I usually give things several days, sometimes a months or more if it's hardware, but I probably get that first gut level feeling in the first 30 min and it's usually that feeling that wins out in the long run.

Kind of venturing off topic here but to try and frame my question for you within what the OP is talking about I'll say it this way...

You mention the way we all know pretty well the sound we are after, to a degree. So we can get a better insight on what it was you were looking for that Serum couldn't provide, can you describe the sound you are after with words?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

massive is waste of space, dont know about others tho
my vote goes to serum because "Xfer serum" sounds just badass

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
massive is waste of space, dont know about others tho
my vote goes to serum because "Xfer serum" sounds just badass

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
aLiner (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

The only wavetable synth I use is Cakewalk Rapture, but I like it well enough. I get a lot of use out of it... But other than Massive I've never even tried any of those. Haven't really cared enough about any of them to dive in.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #9
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
can you elaborate why do you think that my argument is invalid ?

Last edited by D42K732202; 11-08-2016 at 09:27 AM..

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
Old 11-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
can you elaborate why do you think that my argument is invalid ?
Which argument are you speaking off?

You did not give one for why you dislike Massive and I don't really consider "because "Xfer serum" sounds just badass" to be an arguments for why a synth is good either...
So my comment was because neither of your answers were in any way helpful to anyone seriously trying to decide which of these synths to give a try...

Was that elaborate enough?

------------------
Old 11-08-2016, 11:37 AM   #11
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

For the Poll, my vote will go for Serum. With an enormous amount of extra Wavetables to drop into it (since there's thousands available for free online) and with the recent ability to load WAV's into the Noise OSC, it's coming even better over time. The addition of having Serum FX available as a separate VST to user as a Mixer insert is also incredibly nice. One of the things I really do love about Serum is how quick it is to work with everything and how awesome the routing is. It takes only a mere few minutes to get something absolutely amazing working out of Serum and it definitely deserves the amount of praise it gets.

Only had a Quick go with Icarus when Tone2 were offering a public test for it. To be honest I've mostly forgotten about it and I'm going to give it another try tonight and report back haha.

Off the list, my all-time favourite still has to be Tone2 Gladiator. It's abit dated nowadays but it's still the loveable little mad scientist playground that I've always remembered it to be. Alot of my 'signature sound' is purely because of this thing and the wide-range of possibilities it can throw out. The included Wave Mods & Phase Mods & Combine Mods here are the real winners, a key component which separates this from many other products. It's one of those products where it's somewhat difficult to produce something which is immediately amaing, but with enough careful mod work it can omit it's own brutal characteristic which very few, if not hardly any other Wavetable synth can replicate. Only real shitty thing with it though is Tone2 withholding certain filter, wavetable and FX options unless you buy the expansions for it.

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
Which argument are you speaking off?

You did not give one for why you dislike Massive and I don't really consider "because "Xfer serum" sounds just badass" to be an arguments for why a synth is good either...
So my comment was because neither of your answers were in any way helpful to anyone seriously trying to decide which of these synths to give a try...

Was that elaborate enough?
massive sucks because all it has is shitty fuckboyish edm presets, ofcourse you can make good sounds out of it but so can few layered 3xosc instances or harmless simple synths can do more than complex 2000$ shit with super 4d reverb and same uselss features, also it takes few seconds to load which is bugging me and takes gigabyte or few of space for god knows what, i didnt try other synths so only variable i could use to judge them was name and serum fucking sounds badass,
after all first thing that attracts you to software is either its name or screenshot, simple logic isnt it ?
when i read word serum, first association i got was glowing yelow-toxic green chemical element in syringe, which caused association of wicked laboratory with cool aesthetics, see ?

e.g :
- hey fuckface what synth did you use for that lead ?
- i used fucking serum you twat
- wow sounds good man i think i will torrent it

Last edited by D42K732202; 11-08-2016 at 11:56 AM..

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
Old 11-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51010
Thanked 1,020 Times in 755 Posts

I have worked with only Serum and Massive on the list and both are capable synths.

What makes Serum stand out is

1. Excellent visualization of wavetables, envelopes, filters, and LFOs as well as the modulation matrix: you see what you're doing, which is invaluable if you're new to the game. It's layout is intuitive.

2. Great selection of wavetables and ability to load your own

3. Great sounding FX engines, wide range of noise selection. Tunable noise and sub Osc.

4. It sounds great. From classic analog sounds to contemporary minimal.

5. Reductionist approach: 2 OSC, 1 SUB OSC, and Noise with clear layout keeps things uncluttered and somewhat old school.

6. Great selection of filters

I find it intuitive and very easy to get the sounds out of Serum that it has become one of my go-to synths. I've got a ludicrous amount of synths, but few have made it into my list of go-to plugs. They currently are Serum, Bazille, Omnisphere, and Diva. Reaktor is increasingly joining in, but beyond that the others are rather more boutique solutions.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
LichLord (12-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

have no idea quite honestly, serum did look good because of its creative features and additive resynthesis capability as well
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
You mention the way we all know pretty well the sound we are after, to a degree. So we can get a better insight on what it was you were looking for that Serum couldn't provide, can you describe the sound you are after with words?
don't think OT.

Let me see if I can describe why serum didn't grab me. I guess I like synths that have a certain quirkiness or innate character. Serum is very, er.. neutral? That's not a bad thing. I think a lot of people now are going for very clear, up front kind of sounds. I'm going for quirky, grainy stuff. I definitely made some shit like that with serum, but I did have to do a lot of work to get there. I like synths that, right out of the gate, have a kind of 3d presence. But hell, I made tracks with only the built in sampler in renoise plenty of times, and you can get any texture you want out of that. So again, it's not like I'm saying serum is incapable of anything.

Ultimately, it's a terrific blank canvas. But I prefer synths that have a bit more character. Dune 2, corona, and oxium come to mind. Also, I have a couple of analog synths that I love. An ms-20 is kind of like the opposite of serum. It has such a specific sound, and that makes me love it more. You totally have to embrace the way it sounds or find another synth, but that's cool to me.

------------------
Old 12-08-2016, 06:13 AM   #16
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
massive sucks because all it has is shitty fuckboyish edm presets, ofcourse you can make good sounds out of it but so can few layered 3xosc instances or harmless simple synths can do more than complex 2000$ shit with super 4d reverb and same uselss features, also it takes few seconds to load which is bugging me and takes gigabyte or few of space for god knows what, i didnt try other synths so only variable i could use to judge them was name and serum fucking sounds badass,
after all first thing that attracts you to software is either its name or screenshot, simple logic isnt it ?
when i read word serum, first association i got was glowing yelow-toxic green chemical element in syringe, which caused association of wicked laboratory with cool aesthetics, see ?

e.g :
- hey fuckface what synth did you use for that lead ?
- i used fucking serum you twat
- wow sounds good man i think i will torrent it
If it's just presets your after then ok but judging a synth by its presets is a bit silly imo.
I also don't get what you are on about when you speak of 2000$ Massive costs 150€ and is only a few hundred MB large which again makes me believe that you don't really know what you are talking about.
Lastly, judging you tools for making music by screenshots and names also seems a bit short sighted and borderline silly if not stupid to me. This unwillingness to look past that initial layer of marketing further makes me assume that you don't really know what you are talking about.

------------------
Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12410

Played around with Massive some time ago at a friends place - The resonance on the LP filters seems to eat quite a bit of the low end. Quite capable synths with just about the right amount of control.
But that resonance...Dunno maybe it's got analog modelled filters already..
Btw I had an LFO and an envelope on the filter cutoff; If I set macro 1 to sidechain on order to get an envelope amount control, there's no way to seperate it from controlling LFO amount at the same time, right?

I like the sound though. Massive is gritty in a pleasing digital way.
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #18
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51010
Thanked 1,020 Times in 755 Posts

The automation options that Massive offers are very useful, as are the extensive macro controls. It's quite easy to use the step sequencer to generate some very complex modulation sequence. To me, that's where Massive shines. It also excels at making gritty sounds with its clipping and tube distortion. It's thus perhaps not surprising that it became the defining dubstep engine.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #19
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280899
Thanked 1,167 Times in 750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Played around with Massive some time ago at a friends place - The resonance on the LP filters seems to eat quite a bit of the low end.
Haven't used it recently enough to remember that, but pretty cool if so. The old Roland VCF's do that too.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:08 PM   #20
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 19560

I haven't used any of these extensively, but if I were going to buy only one, it'd be Serum. Primarily, it would be for some of those crazy filters it has (Reverb filters, etc.). I have plenty of synths. These days I find I'm mostly after good effects to get the most out of what I have, and while I can't say Serum has the most effects or the best effects, it has the effects that are most interesting to me that I think I could get a lot out of.

Advertisements

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote