What should I buy- $1000
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 15-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910
What should I buy- $1000

I am getting my studio repaired and up to par for the summer. I have a little extra money to help upgrade and add to to my studio. (From working so hard and not having time to spend money, lol.)

So this is what I have at the moment:
HP Computer with a terabyte hard drive
KRK 5's 3rd generation speakers
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Reason 8
Ableton lite
Shure SM58
AUdio-Tech M50 headphones
An acoustic guitar
Piano (actual)

Some things I would like:

A field recorder
A condenser mic
Maybe a DAW upgrade or different DAW
Basic VST's (a few basic ones everyone should have)

Suggestions?

Advertisements

U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029891
Thanked 7,249 Times in 4,505 Posts
Re: What should I buy- $1000

A field recorder
A condenser mic
Maybe a DAW upgrade or different DAW
Basic VST's (a few basic ones everyone should have)
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8538530
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts

There are some pretty cool VSTs out there in VST land these days. How are you at sound design? There are so many to pick from. Unfortunately my favorite one, Alchemy, is no longer available. What are you looking for/feeling you are lacking in VSTs...come to think of it with Reason do you feel you are lacking synths or FX? U-he has had some great offerings recently and Valhalla for reverb is always a nice tool to have around.

I really like my Tascam DR-07 MKII. It was like 100 dollars. Never felt the need for more than that and usually I just use my smartphone half the time. I don't know anything about microphones, so I can't make a suggestion there.

Personally, I think your monitors and headphones could use an upgrade, but if they are working for you don't worry about it : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860

Ableton live suite maybe?
I really like the ableton effects and instruments, and it is worth spending a few uninspired days building your own racks.
Other than that I am really liking absynth, works for crazy sounds and as a deep effect processor!

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51910
Thanked 1,038 Times in 765 Posts

Maschine and a DAW upgrade

For $1000 you should get the MKII and Logic Pro X

That will get you started with Massive, Monark and a decent set of FX.
If you have some flexibility on budget, get Komplete. With Kontakt and Reaktor you have a killer sampler, a rad set of FX and a modular soft synth. Nothing left you can't do any more.

Logic comes with Absynth.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

New DAWs always feel like a "reset" rather than an upgrade to me. YMMV Logic X also comes with Alchemy 2 I think...

Maschine is pretty cool and Massive and Monark are worth the price of entry alone.

To me it seems you are pretty sorted DAW wise. You have the most recent Reason. I could see upgrading live. I'm not sure I'd buy a DAW just for a few included VSTs...if I were on Mac I wouldn't buy Logic just for Alchemy.

------------------
Thanks to relic
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25860

Although with reason rewired into ableton suite there really isn't much else you could need
Unless you want really niche things like reaktor, that would be a learning curve I would think, I don't have it, but then you would be set for a long time.
Also maybe a good pad controller for drums

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Although with reason rewired into ableton suite there really isn't much else you could need
Unless you want really niche things like reaktor, that would be a learning curve I would think, I don't have it, but then you would be set for a long time.
Considering the OP's stated set up I think Reason rewired into upgraded Ableton is the ticket here as far as software goes. I've seriously considered investing in Reason several times, but I've got so much software it is a sin.

If OP is wanting a new mic for vocals or recording piano/guitar and is serious about that I think getting a good mic and a good preamp might be worth considering to. Its hard to know what would be the best.

-----------------------------------------------

I've got Komplete (speaking of Reaktor et. al.) and besides the price break it is just a lot of damn software to learn. I bought it because as a Maschine user Kontakt and Komplete were the same price, so why the hell not? I've barely touched most of it.

------------------
Thanks to relic
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I am not planning on buying an apple machine any time soon so Logic is out.

I appreciate the dialogue because it is helpful to narrow things down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
I really love Reason and I forgot to mention that I have bought several extensions that work as "Reasons" VST's.

I think upgrading Ableton and wiring Reason is probably the best move. I still have much to learn so I think adding reaktor to the mix would not be effective at this time.

As far as monitors go I am a bit reluctant to upgrade them as I don't have a treated space and wont for a while.

I would really like a mic for vocals.

Great suggestion about pad controller for drums. I work better playing things instead of clicking them in.
I could possibly do machine and an ableton upgrade but I would probably need to finance a little as that would be a big chunk.
Thanks to U-235
relic (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Maschine is much more than just a drum controller. If resampling is part of your workflow, that's the less mentioned killer app. I can't compare it to Push, but that may be an option if you're committed to Ableton.

Personally, I find the way Maschine integrates everything, including samples (great packs for different styles) very intuitive and accessible. I would suggest to go with the MKII and not micro. I opted for the Studio, but most of the functionality I ended up using is also available in the MKII. (Looking at their site, the MKII is now called only Maschine).

You can get Maschine for $599 and Ableton Standard for $449. Via ReWire you can integrate Reason and Maschine will run as a plug in inside your DAW. Pretty close to your budget. And you get a couple of synths this way (good ones).

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 06:46 PM   #11
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

$1000 could buy a lot of plugins
Honestly I think you should be able to figure out what your music needs the most just by thinking about how having that piece of gear/software would change your workflow.
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #12
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Maschine is much more than just a drum controller. If resampling is part of your workflow, that's the less mentioned killer app. I can't compare it to Push, but that may be an option if you're committed to Ableton.

Personally, I find the way Maschine integrates everything, including samples (great packs for different styles) very intuitive and accessible. I would suggest to go with the MKII and not micro. I opted for the Studio, but most of the functionality I ended up using is also available in the MKII. (Looking at their site, the MKII is now called only Maschine).

You can get Maschine for $599 and Ableton Standard for $449. Via ReWire you can integrate Reason and Maschine will run as a plug in inside your DAW. Pretty close to your budget. And you get a couple of synths this way (good ones).
I have been thinking about Maschine for some time. I have played around on it and checked out the new version at Guitar Center a few months ago. I really want to work on my percussion...I think that is where I could improve the most. Since I am pianist I think I get stuck using a keyboard controller sometimes and I think the pad controller would help me go in a new direction.

I would also really like a top notch piano plug in.
Old 15-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray medicine View Post
$1000 could buy a lot of plugins
Honestly I think you should be able to figure out what your music needs the most just by thinking about how having that piece of gear/software would change your workflow.
What are your top three favorites?
Old 15-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Okay, so I am looking at Maschine and they have packages that come with complete. What is the difference between the following that I am linking to? What is studio and why is the white version more?

Old 15-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #15
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19710

pc upgrade you can never go wrong with a pc upgrade.
i myself have just drooped 980 uk ponds on two gtx 1080 graphics cards
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:44 PM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
Okay, so I am looking at Maschine and they have packages that come with complete. What is the difference between the following that I am linking to? What is studio and why is the white version more?

Studio has a few functions more and a (fairly useful) set of color displays. It makes a couple of editing functions more accessible. Both Coke with the same standard software bundle. I'd recommend checking out native instruments website. Studio is also fairly large, so if space is an issue, you may consider that. As far as the software and all functionality goes MKII and Studio are identical.

The link you have came up empty, but looking at their website, they have a lot of cross grade options, which is useful for users that want to upgrade. I found the Komplete 10 to meet my needs and didn't fancy shelling out the cash for the Ultimate collection, though I am sure it's worth it.

Komplete 10 comes with a set of decent sounding natural pianos. The Giant seems popular. Alicia's keys also seem a favorite of some, but is not part of Komplete 10.

Oh, and white is cool, hence a different price? NI sold it at same price, though.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
What are your top three favorites?
Synthmaster, Blue II, and Serum
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
U-235 (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 10:22 PM   #18
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Studio has a few functions more and a (fairly useful) set of color displays. It makes a couple of editing functions more accessible. Both Coke with the same standard software bundle. I'd recommend checking out native instruments website. Studio is also fairly large, so if space is an issue, you may consider that. As far as the software and all functionality goes MKII and Studio are identical.

The link you have came up empty, but looking at their website, they have a lot of cross grade options, which is useful for users that want to upgrade. I found the Komplete 10 to meet my needs and didn't fancy shelling out the cash for the Ultimate collection, though I am sure it's worth it.

Komplete 10 comes with a set of decent sounding natural pianos. The Giant seems popular. Alicia's keys also seem a favorite of some, but is not part of Komplete 10.

Oh, and white is cool, hence a different price? NI sold it at same price, though.
Thank you, I appreciate the run down. I will go to the site and look at it.
Old 16-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744029891
Thanked 7,249 Times in 4,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
pc upgrade you can never go wrong with a pc upgrade.
i myself have just drooped 980 uk ponds on two gtx 1080 graphics cards
Which have 0 effect on your tunes making abilities.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
chasedobson (16-05-2016)
Old 16-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #20
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329124900
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,163 Posts

personally,i would go for a korg minilogue,and an ableton upgrade.
then you can rewire ableton and Reason.
what more could you want?

Advertisements

Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote