Tips to save CPU on lower performance computers
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 13-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Z4dok
Regular Freak
Z4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of lightZ4dok is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Icon4 Tips to save CPU on lower performance computers

I apologize in advance for how lengthy this post is. I tried to condense things as much as possible!!

I'm trying to minimize the processing my computer is doing running Ableton. Usually about half way through working on a track, once many plugins, tracks, and fx are running, Ableton starts to lag and the audio is sometimes choppy. Additional tips anyone wants to contribute would be hugely appreciated, and maybe this will provide some value to others.

This what I'm already doing and have heard of so far:

• Close any unnecessary programs
    Closing everything I don't need, sometimes disconnecting my internet, closing virus protection and firewall programs.
  • Optimizing Windows for low-performance
    I switched my visually appealing Windows 7 default theme and assigned the classic Windows theme. Turned off all of the Windows sounds and animations, (I do keep a wallpaper, though). I just disabled as many programs as possible from starting up with Windows.
  • Tidy hard drive
    My laptop has a 500gb HD. I keep no music, pictures, or videos of any kind on it. I've also uninstalled all software that isn't absolutely imperative.
  • Make it easier for my computer to access files when Ableton is running(?)
    My DAW and VSTs and libaries VSTs use are installed on my computer, but my Ableton project files, wavs, and such are all on an external hard drive. I heard this can help. Also, I took the battery out of my laptop and I use the A/C whenever possible.
  • Freeze Tracks
  • Turn off unused EQ filters
  • Keep sample rate at 44100
    There's a "high quality" button as well, which is currently on. Truthfully, I'm not really sure what this function does. Maybe someone can explain this to me? (Note: I don't do any midi or audio recording, and I don't have any physical gear right now-just a laptop and a mouse).
  • Increase Output Buffer Size
    Again, I'm not -entirely- sure how this one works. I think it works somewhat similar to headroom but for processing? But if so, then why an option to increase it? Why not have it maxed out by default?
  • Enable Multicore/Multiprocessing Support
  • Use auxiliary tracks for FX
    Instead of having, for example, 6 reverbs on 6 tracks, route the 6 tracks to 1 bus with a reverb on it.

I've been considering using multiple projects. Might be the surest way to minimize processing, though a hassle. Each step a new project:
  1. "Drawing Board"
    This is basically where I'll create my drum sounds. I'll load in any waves I'll use, do the layering, EQing and some compression. I'll export all my drum sounds as new waves for the next project. This one I do anyway.
  2. Composition
    This will run the VSTs and focus on composition and arrangement from start to finish. Even though I consider the mix itself, (and accompanying automation) as sometimes part of the composition itself, I'll have to alter my mindset by approaching this step as creating rough blueprints or sketches that will be fine-tuned in the next project. This could mean writing my music with underdeveloped tones, as I usually have a chain of effects (distortions, filters) to alter the timbre, not just mixing things together. From here I'll convert everything to wave files for the next project.
  3. Mixing
    This is for everything else except mastering. EQs, compression, sidechaining, automation, etc. As well as creating the actual tones I want.
  4. Mastering

A bit of a pain, but I think it's doable. Until I can get a high-performance rig, these are some challenges I'm facing.

I'm very curious to hear anyone's thoughts/objections regarding multiple projects. How would you split your workflow into separate stages/projects to eliminate going back-and-forth between projects?

Thanks a lot for any help!

Advertisements

Z4dok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529430
Thanked 6,770 Times in 4,823 Posts
Re: Tips to save CPU on lower performance computers

Nice one. That pretty much covers it in one tidy sheet.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

Disable scheduled services which are not needed. There's tons of them and most of them run at startup time and will even restart if they fail the first time. This often gets overlooked by people used to XP Optimizations and not Windows 6 (Vista), 7, & 8 Optimizations.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6610

On this page you can find some more usefull tips apart from those already mentioned:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I also found some good tips on this page:

Cheers

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to sbj
Alert (01-06-2015)
Old 13-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Might be a good thing to get some sort of compendium going here. Thread is highly relevant to my interests.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Alert (01-06-2015)
Old 14-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

Your hard drive usage shouldn't matter, it is in no way associated with cpu usage. Just make sure you defragment it occasionally.

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
hiddensound
hiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nicehiddensound is just really nice
Phoenix, AZ
MC Status: 360

couple things I've found handy... running Reaper though...which is AMAZING <3

the routing is a big one, huge effect

* you can freeze a track up to a selected fx, meaning freeze up that synth + whateva but keep the delay on etc....

* when you get the basics of the track, bounce that and test new elements with it in a new project

* resampling

*sometimes adjustments within the synth / plugin itself (ex. unison voices) have a huge effect on cpu usage (and may sound better anyways)

just the routing alone means I don't really have to freeze anything running a 2007 macbook pro
hiddensound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to hiddensound
Numerical (21-05-2014)
Old 14-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59060
Thanked 1,181 Times in 787 Posts

Some wireless chips can cause audio driver latency issues so if you are using wireless it can help to turn it off while working on music.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Drawing Blanks
Learning The Ropes
Drawing Blanks will become famous soon enough
Edinburgh
MC Status: 60

This can be a problem even on a fairly decent computer.. after upgrading I've started hitting high usage again.

The best solutions I have is sticking with native plugins, even max4live eats cpu - especially any with radomize functions. Course you'll want those verbs tho.

If I want to process something hard, I route the audio to another track and re record it post-fx, deleting the original.

Trying to get more into a flow of creating and bouncing bus channels for processing after, rather than during now.
Drawing Blanks is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #10
Mattiil
Minor Glitch
Mattiil has a spectacular aura aboutMattiil has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 160

Bounce to audio or freeze
Send tracks to reverb/delay bus.
Less is more.

------------------
Mattiil is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mattiil
Alert (01-06-2015)
Old 22-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

check out the configurations for each Windows OS. Find yours that matches. Commence winning.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684405

I admire your reasoning for the multiple projects thing, I have considered this myself. I think the one major flaw with separating your rough copy stage from your mixing stage is this; as you are building a track, the mixing (timbre, quality of sounds, space created through eq'ing, fine tuning groove etc) has a direct effect on how you proceed with the track and also directly influences and inspires the final outcome and every step it takes to get there.

See if you have a shotty mix half way through the process, things aren't very ear pleasing, it may sound muddy, out of tune etc, it can discourage you from progressing. You might think to yourself "hmmm I like this new element but there's no room in the mix for it without making it more muddy or busy". Or it may just be harder to keep the inspiration and creative juices flowing.

I think we are both methodical, systematic brain types. This can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. I have learnt over the years that creativity has little to do with logic, it doesn't always thrive in a perfectly scheduled, perfectly organized environment. While a cluttered work area (ie project) can mean a cluttered mind, we need to shoot for the happy medium and let things flow out of us organically without getting too sidetracked by excessive color coding and categorizing etc. Everything in moderation

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Deep Dose; 28-05-2014 at 06:13 PM..
Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #13
edwingeraldvanwyk
Minor Glitch
edwingeraldvanwyk will become famous soon enoughedwingeraldvanwyk will become famous soon enough
Cape Town
MC Status: 110

I think you have hit the nail on the head there.
edwingeraldvanwyk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #14
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271
Icon4 Re: Tips to save CPU on lower performance computers

maybe buy some extra RAM memory

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #15
EquinoxMiller
Learning The Ropes
EquinoxMiller is currently spamming hard
Houston
MC Status: 10

Whoa, awesome! Thank you very much!
EquinoxMiller is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
I admire your reasoning for the multiple projects thing, I have considered this myself. I think the one major flaw with separating your rough copy stage from your mixing stage is this; as you are building a track, the mixing (timbre, quality of sounds, space created through eq'ing, fine tuning groove etc) has a direct effect on how you proceed with the track and also directly influences and inspires the final outcome and every step it takes to get there.

See if you have a shotty mix half way through the process, things aren't very ear pleasing, it may sound muddy, out of tune etc, it can discourage you from progressing. You might think to yourself "hmmm I like this new element but there's no room in the mix for it without making it more muddy or busy". Or it may just be harder to keep the inspiration and creative juices flowing.
One thing I've done in regards to separate project files is keep the bounced audio with the same name as the project file. For example, say I mixed the fart noise and the vuvuzela and the mooing cow in one project file, then rendered all three into one file to put into the main mixing project file; I'll keep the old project file and the rendered sample titled FVMblokrokkinbeet so if I want to re-render it, it will automatically load in the main mixing project file and not interrupt juice flow.

Bear in mind this was for running out of RAM (32bit floating point ftw) on only a few projects, not dealing with an old senior citizen computer, but I think the workflow concept can apply to both.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts

more audio less live VSTi's

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #18
Stereo Surgeon
Savage Mad Cunt
Stereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MCStereo Surgeon is a savage MC
Bumblefuck, GA
MC Status: 12606174

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
more audio less live VSTi's
>this

+1 to Render that shit

Also Learn how to turn the VSTs u are using to their low cpu settings(Eco, efficient mode...ect) wile your working.
I.e don't rune U-he Diva at full resolution until your rendering the whole track.
Or don't produce with your master bus effects on.

------------------
Stereo Surgeon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:13 AM   #19
jamison
Regular Freak
jamison will become famous soon enough
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 60

Keep a close eye on how much CPU is being used in the top right corner. When you see the CPU peak notice what is going on in the track. It's a good idea to freeze and flatten tracks that use lots of CPU. Also, many third party plugins take lots of RAM to run. If you can, try to limit the number of very "heavy" plugins (things like Massive and Serum) you use to how many you actually need.
jamison is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #20
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

simplify your composition..........................

Advertisements

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote