iPad music making apps
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 22-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
reticent
Knob Twiddler
reticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nicereticent is just really nice
Montreal
MC Status: 351
iPad music making apps

Is ReBirth worth the money? Or nano studio?

Advertisements

------------------

reticent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
panten
Granular Poster
panten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MCpanten is a savage MC
MC Status: 52283
Re: iPad music making apps

The lack of audio tracks on Nano Studio is a bit of a dealbreaker for me. Can't vouch for Rebirth as I haven't used it.
The other one for me was Beatmaker 2 but I find it's workflow convoluted and clunky.
panten is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #3
velqn
Analog Lurker
velqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura about
Sofia
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by reticent View Post
Is ReBirth worth the money? Or nano studio?
Nano studio is the best out there that exists for iOS. It`s better than Garage Band and all relevant softwares - it`s a whole music production suite, with sequencer, drum machine&synth and effects.

Curious enough - you can check latest album by Vector Loverz called iPhonica - created/produced entirely on... iPhone using Nano Studio and released by Soma records.

There is also FL Studio mobile for iOS - I did not use it - I stick to Nano Studio for mobile music creation.

------------------
velqn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

Idk how would you make a whole track just from an Ipad dosnt seem like its worth the hassle to me :/
Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniol View Post
Idk how would you make a whole track just from an Ipad dosnt seem like its worth the hassle to me :/
Different workflow = different results / challenges your thinking. Good for trains, planes & automobiles. Good for lying in the grass making music on a hilltop, under a tree. And with most apps supporting audiobus these days - you can route and record pretty much anything into your ipad DAW of choice.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
loco_dave
Minor Glitch
loco_dave will become famous soon enoughloco_dave will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I dont now to much of Mac, what i now is that haves great audio quality on his formats, but if i going to spend some money on apps and a ipad for music produccion, i prefer buying a synth ,becuase it has better audio quality and better sounds combined whit you computer its a great tool... alot of people tells me that FL studio is a toy, but an ipad with apps,...what is it??????
loco_dave is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #7
Lehsyrus
Granular Poster
Lehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really niceLehsyrus is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco_dave View Post
I dont now to much of Mac, what i now is that haves great audio quality on his formats, but if i going to spend some money on apps and a ipad for music produccion, i prefer buying a synth ,becuase it has better audio quality and better sounds combined whit you computer its a great tool... alot of people tells me that FL studio is a toy, but an ipad with apps,...what is it??????
FL Studio is far from a toy. As for iPad audio production apps, I find they're useful for putting down melodies in a fly. If I have a nifty song in my wad I'll quickly jot it down for later reference.
Lehsyrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Just got Nanostudio and Animoog, and I'm loving them both.

I'm looking forward to using Animoog a lot more.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
charlton1
Microknight
charlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of light
Peterborough
MC Status: 510

Animoog is supposed to be really good but i dont have it.

I got rebirth on the iphone and its terrible with the touch interface. doesnt work properly, i dont know if the same issues are there with the ipad version. its free on PC anyway isnt it?

Sunrizer synth is a good and very very well priced for what you get.

The only thing i have ever actually used in a tune is sunrizer. everything else i have are just toys on the ipad.

cheers
charlton1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

I think I'm going to do a whole EP using nothing by Animoog for the sound design. Once you dive in, it's a very deep and complex little wavetable synth.
Old 18-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Exibyte
Granular Poster
Exibyte is a jewel in the roughExibyte is a jewel in the roughExibyte is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

The apps I currently use: Animoog (the best for sound design, IMO), Korg iMS-20 (very nice sound and virtual routing/patching), DM-1, filatron, a-delay.

The apps I have but do not use so much: Reactable, traktor dj (curious).
Exibyte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
D_Davis
Seattle

Test with Animoog, Launchpad, and Ableton.

All synth sounds from the Animoog. Drums from Ableton.

Old 18-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
The Snakes of Eden
The Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MCThe Snakes of Eden is a savage MC
MC Status: 173418

The only one ive been able to make anything useful with is tabletop...it feels a bit dodge the way you buy extra components in-app...and they just copy the look of other devices...but it is actually useful despite all that...

Its good for making beats/loops but with the exception of the arturia synth, the rest of the synths are shit.

------------------
The Snakes of Eden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Governmentyard
Regular Freak
Governmentyard will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I've had my iPad a year and been on a bit of a splurge with app buying, so I've got most of the decent things. You can do this relatively cheaply by creating an account with appshopper.com and selecting "want it" next to each app you fancy, then you get notifications when it comes down in price. Everything except Lemur and Cubasis have price drops, Korg sell their stuff at half price about a quarter of the time, for example.

Nanostudio is great but I occasionally get slightly bewildered by the file system, looking froward to Audiobus import there. That you can get it free for Windows is a huge bonus.

FLSTudio is not something I'm a fan of, but if I have a beat in mind, I suppose I can port it to my DAW seamlessly, so as a sketchpad it's as usable as anything, though the interface, for me, is ugly and faffy. Some less-than-obvious icons and there's no mouseover on iOS. The bundled sounds, too, are functional to my ears, nothing I'd choose given ther options.

Must-get synths - Magellan, Animoog, Cassini, iMS-20 (iPolysix is shiny but the synth itself is not nearly as essential, plenty of other options on iOS).

The more innovative stuff is what makes the platform, though - Samplr, Borderlands and so on - no compromises with the medium there, a whole new dimension to your music making kit.

Watch the Sonic State 'Sonic Pouch' Youtube playlist for loads of in-depth analysis of the apps.

Last edited by Governmentyard; 12-05-2013 at 11:56 AM..
Governmentyard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

List of every app I currently use: Animoog, Sunrizer, Samplr, Magellan, NLog, Funkbox, Sir Sampleton, iPolysix, iElectribe, iMS-20, iMini, Audulus, Loopy HD, Auria, Echopad and Turnado. And Audiobus of course. All of them are worth getting. iPads are awesome.

Oh, I use Lemur for controlling Ableton too.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239

I'm new to iOS devices but recently got an ipad mini. Those music making apps are lightyears ahead from android apps, and lets not even speak of windows phone apps

I've bought samplr and nanostudio, but what got me really exited was tabletop. It's so easy to create fun stuff with that. Audiocopy is also a very impressive invention, love how everyting connects.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #17
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeboo View Post
I'm new to iOS devices but recently got an ipad mini. Those music making apps are lightyears ahead from android apps, and lets not even speak of windows phone apps

I've bought samplr and nanostudio, but what got me really exited was tabletop. It's so easy to create fun stuff with that. Audiocopy is also a very impressive invention, love how everyting connects.
Tabletop is cool but I find a lot of the paid for instruments kinda shitty. It's nice for sketching out ideas though.

Impressions on Samplr? Its probably my favourite app atm, but I'm a bit of a sample mangling whore.

------------------
Quote:
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
Old 16-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #18
D_Davis
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Oh, I use Lemur for controlling Ableton too.
Why that over TouchOSC?

------------------
Old 16-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Why that over TouchOSC?
Physics. In app template building. Pretty new skins

Also at the time I bought Lemur, TouchOSC didn't have MIDI support.

------------------
Quote:
Old 16-05-2013, 07:31 PM   #20
D_Davis
Seattle

What do you do with the physics?

I'm curious because TouchOSC does everything I want for free. I'm interested in the Lemur app, but man, it's expensive, so I'm looking for reasons why it's worth the price.

Thanks!

Advertisements

------------------