Best reverb for reverse clap/snare sucking effect.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
bigdaveo11
Radial Developer
bigdaveo11 is currently spamming hard
Washington
MC Status: 10
Best reverb for reverse clap/snare sucking effect.

I am trying to create a reverse clap/snare sound. I take a sample, add reverb, reverse the audio and just use the reverb tail. However i am having trouble creating that good "sucking" sound. I am using logic and was experimenting with the silver verb and space designer. Are there are "types/settings" of reverbs you use when trying to create this effect?

thank you.

Advertisements

------------------
Start a Ripple!

Check out my monthly podcast
http://soundcloud.com/start-a-ripple-podcast
bigdaveo11 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268
Re: Best reverb for reverse clap/snare sucking effect.

use less damping and a longer decay on the reverb. then reverse it as usual. once it's audio, you can also sculpt it in a standalone audio editor such as Wavosaur. You could also time expand it too.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Maybe you are forgetting to reverse the sample, before you apply the reverb (render, and then reverse it back again)?

Try compressing the reverb, to alter the shape of the tail/ramp of the reverb. Play around with reverb decay settings until it fits with the tempo of the track, or just sounds good. Usually you just need short to medium length reverb times/decay.
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

or instead of compressing, you could use a DAW's volume envelope on it or gain envelope in a standalone audio edtior. Doesn't Audacity have that?
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
bigdaveo11
Radial Developer
Washington

thanks guys. appreciate the responses. i will try those things.

------------------
Start a Ripple!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
bigdaveo11
Radial Developer
Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Maybe you are forgetting to reverse the sample, before you apply the reverb (render, and then reverse it back again)?

Try compressing the reverb, to alter the shape of the tail/ramp of the reverb. Play around with reverb decay settings until it fits with the tempo of the track, or just sounds good. Usually you just need short to medium length reverb times/decay.
quite possibly. i did not reverse the sample, i just applied the reverb then reversed the sample and cut out the end of the sample to just use the reverb tail, placing the original unreversed sample on another track so it would suck into the original sound.

------------------
Start a Ripple!

Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Enneagram
Granular Poster
Enneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improveEnneagram can only hope to improve
MC Status: -51895

The way I usually do this (In Ableton) is to duplicate the track you want this for. Then apply your Reverb with 100% Dry/Wet. This is where I mess around with the Decay Time/Size/Predelay etc to get the right tails on all those hits. THEN reverse it and experiment with how much you want to leave in. I usually end leaving the whole reverse reverb track in if it lines up right, not just the tails as your signal is 100% Wet on the reverb so you won't be getting a "double" snare hit.

Lemme know if this gets you the sound you're looking for!
Enneagram is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
reds91
Soundwave Mangler
reds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MC
MC Status: 535371

It's not even necessary to use reverse reverb IMO, I just reverse the sample and fade that in before the snare/clap. I've also found that claps work better for the reverse, and also that you don't need to use the same sample if you're reversing it. No ones going to know if you reversed a different clap anyways...
reds91 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
bigdaveo11
Radial Developer
Washington

thanks guys. actually ended up using ultrabeat to reverse the sample and playing two of the same samples but one reversed. sounds decent. will experiment more though as well. appreciate it!

------------------
Start a Ripple!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18030069

you seem to have it sussed, but ill throw some ideas out there anyway.

what enneagram said about layering a wet track over the dry one is good advice in many instances. with this concept you are free to alter your reverb without damaging your sound too much. for example you could put some distortion on it and automate the amount to get more distorted as it builds up, or countless other things like that.

also i personally never use a single drum hit reversed. i will layer different sounds over eachother (not just drum hits either) and often have them begin to fade in at different points to give it more of a building up sound.

a delay can also sound good. it wont give you the sucking feeling but its a fun thing to do anyway. it works the same as reverb, as in, add it when the sound is not "reversed" so you get the tail, then reverse it so it builds up. the same goes for any effect with a tail.

again, as mentioned, compression can really help you shape your buildup.

also automating filters an be a simple yet effective way to give you a buildup. it sounds more interesting than automating volume. with this technique you can make a sound get "closer" by using a low pass filter with a low cutoff at the beginning of the sound and raising it towards the end of the sound.

and automating pitch can be fun too. this can also make your sound get "closer".

theres so much more too but im all out of ideas right now.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222283184
Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaveo11 View Post
quite possibly. i did not reverse the sample, i just applied the reverb then reversed the sample and cut out the end of the sample to just use the reverb tail, placing the original unreversed sample on another track so it would suck into the original sound.
yeah but the 'suck' is from the end not the start of the drum sample. you have to reverse it first so the 'suck' will match up with the start of the clap

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote