The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #161
angry_reindeer
Regular Freak
angry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MC
MC Status: 31643
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknowjuno View Post
Anyone else think this basslines made on a a moog voyager. ?[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Idk, i'm skeptical. But possibly, it's pretty versatile. Gartner always gave me the impression he used modular rack synths...

Advertisements

angry_reindeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #162
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
douknowjuno is currently spamming hard
England
MC Status: 10

He doesnt seem to have any modular setups I found this on the youtube
Would'nt mind his setup. After more research I've found alot of the track's he make's are just chopped up sample's of different analogue synth's with hardware fx thrown on top to get the fat sound.

Last edited by douknowjuno; 15-02-2011 at 03:04 PM..
douknowjuno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #163
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC
MC Status: 5055099

Are you kidding? Wolfgang Gartner is just all about chopping up sounds. Any. Any decent V/A plug-in can recreate any sound he has ever made and then it's just about chopping it up and having a really good mastering engineer.
shotguns is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #164
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
England

I've tryed to recreate some of the sound's in the box using only virtual analogue soft synths but can't get the same fat sound. I find V/A plug's lack the bottom end of the sound generated with true analogue synths. I've tryed layering with sub's and detuning oscillator's and still don't find the sound as good as the real thing.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #165
angry_reindeer
Regular Freak
angry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MCangry_reindeer is a savage MC
MC Status: 31643

Quote:
I've tryed to recreate some of the sound's in the box using only virtual analogue soft synths but can't get the same fat sound. I find V/A plug's lack the bottom end of the sound generated with true analogue synths. I've tryed layering with sub's and detuning oscillator's and still don't find the sound as good as the real thing.
Yeah, they also tend to lack a lot of the characteristic body to the sound, depending on what the waveforms are like that the synth has. Even some of the more 'analoguey' digital synths aren't quite as fat as fully analog synthesizers.
angry_reindeer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #166
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

">

Mark 3:30

Regarding the vox sound. I was talking with some producer and we couldnt identify if it was made with a time streched loop, a bitspeek or my idea was some vocal cut on exs24 and then pitch bended.

Any ideas?
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 10:37 PM   #167
shotguns
Banned
shotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MCshotguns is a savage MC

Quote:
Here we go.
You believe ALL HIS BASSLINES are made using a Moog Voyager.
You also say that plug-ins lack low-end and in the same breath you called the Voyager a "true analog synth".

Now, this is a fact:
MiniMonsta, the Moog emulation by Gforce, provides fatter low-end than a Moog Voyager. It's just fact. Those sounds are about letting a simple patch do what it can do and layering/detuning will only obscure it.
Old 17-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #168
shotguns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nerub View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Mark 3:30

Regarding the vox sound. I was talking with some producer and we couldnt identify if it was made with a time streched loop, a bitspeek or my idea was some vocal cut on exs24 and then pitch bended.

Any ideas?
Nothing special. They probably used Sampler in Ableton, chucked in some random sound, then made a really short loop, plonked in some generic sequence and then automated loop length + portamento to get it to sound fluid like that. If you turn down the loop length, you get those higher harmonics and the glide is all about automating the portamento.
Old 18-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #169
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

Hey!

Thanks for replying man!

Im just wondering if you could give me an example or video on this, because for what i read, i need to learn more about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotguns View Post
... made a really short loop, plonked in some generic sequence and then automated loop length + portamento...
(How to automate portamento)

Last edited by 4nerub; 18-02-2011 at 01:01 AM..
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #170
shotguns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nerub View Post
Hey!

Thanks for replying man!

Im just wondering if you could give me an example or video on this, because for what i read, i need to learn more about it:

(How to automate portamento)
How to automate portamento?! Well, if you're in portamento mode, notes that are sequenced into each other will glide, so automating portamento right before a glide note will allow you to choose how long that glide is going to be. HOW to do it, you should already know. Just automate the portamento.
Old 18-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #171
shotguns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_reindeer View Post
Yeah, they also tend to lack a lot of the characteristic body to the sound, depending on what the waveforms are like that the synth has. Even some of the more 'analoguey' digital synths aren't quite as fat as fully analog synthesizers.
Characteristic body? I'll nuke ANY sound with Ohmicide and modulation anyways. The body achieved from those operations out-do any analog synth.
Currently Listening To: michigan and smiley
Old 20-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #172
Face Invada
Learning The Ropes
Face Invada is currently spamming hard
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persiflage View Post
Oldy but goody. Can also work well with delay sometimes, depending on the material you're effecting. du-duh-dUh-dUH-DUH. As for other effects, unless the effect is time dependent, like delay or reverb, where it adds sound after the dry signal, the effect is going to sound pretty much the same backwards as forwards.
HAH! all this time if been writing my midi backwards chucking on reverb bouncing it and then reversing it, you just saved me 1000 hours right here
Face Invada is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #173
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotguns View Post
Here we go.
You believe ALL HIS BASSLINES are made using a Moog Voyager.
You also say that plug-ins lack low-end and in the same breath you called the Voyager a "true analog synth".

Now, this is a fact:
MiniMonsta, the Moog emulation by Gforce, provides fatter low-end than a Moog Voyager. It's just fact.
Those sounds are about letting a simple patch do what it can do and layering/detuning will only obscure it.
First of all I DONT BELIEVE ALL HIS BASSLINES ARE MADE ON A MOOG VOYAGER I asked peoples opinions whether or not they thought this was maybe the case on this particular track and maybe I never got my point across correctly. Did you even watch the video I posted of his studio and take notice of the analogue keyboards and Empirical labs distessor unit he has in it. Also another point I would like to make is that alot of dance music producers layer, kicks, bass, snare and claps to make them sound fatter for a fuller soundin mix LAYERING/DETUNING AND OBSCURING THEM I THINK NOT and personally I prefer Arturias minimoog v emulation.
Old 20-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #174
shotguns
Banned

Quote:
First of all I DONT BELIEVE ALL HIS BASSLINES ARE MADE ON A MOOG VOYAGER I asked peoples opinions whether or not they thought this was maybe the case on this particular track and maybe I never got my point across correctly. Did you even watch the video I posted of his studio and take notice of the analogue keyboards and Empirical labs distessor unit he has in it. Also another point I would like to make is that alot of dance music producers layer, kicks, bass, snare and claps to make them sound fatter for a fuller soundin mix LAYERING/DETUNING AND OBSCURING THEM I THINK NOT and personally I prefer Arturias minimoog v emulation.
It doesn't matter what gear he has on show. His stuff sounds like software synths. Drums, sure, but we were talking about synths and you said that you couldn't get it right with software, so I gave you a friendlt tip.

You know, you're not supposed to DEFEAT friendly tips. Listen to what I'm actually saying and try it out for yourself.
Old 21-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #175
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
England

Ok tip taken ill keep you posted on my results thanks for the advice
Old 21-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #176
shotguns
Banned

Also, as a master bus compressor for that genre, I havn't heard anything that sounds as good as the software version of Elysia's mpressor. Fuckin' blindin' and it won't sound as terribly squashed as wolfgang gartners shit does.

For overdrive in the genre, to make it a bit fatter, Decapitator by Sound Toys is quite possibly the best thing you can buy for the money. Absolutely brilliant. I wouldn't call it distortion, but if you just want to make a synth simply sound fuller and better without really altering the sound that much - it's the best thing out there.
Old 21-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #177
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
England

I was looking at gettin a new setup, adam a7x s, and an rme uc card but am confused on the card choice I also want to get a uad2 card the emulations are really good and save you a fortune compared to the cost of there hardware equivelants dont no if you have any of these if you could give me any help making my mind up ?
Old 21-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #178
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisha View Post
I can't figure out what the hell Dettinger was using in this one.
If there was a question in there I think the answer is "synths, samples and effects".

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Fat Electro Pumping Bass
Old 22-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #179
eyehavenoi
Granular Poster
eyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond repute
Vermont
MC Status: 5737

Want to get a nice clean bass sound similar to the one on this track

Synth or an actual bass guitar?

Last edited by eyehavenoi; 22-02-2011 at 01:40 PM..
eyehavenoi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: some dirty dirty dutch
Old 22-02-2011, 11:24 AM   #180
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehavenoi View Post
Want to get a nice clean bass sound similar to the one on this track

Synth or an actual bass guitar?
Sounds like a simple lowpassed saw.

Oh, and put the "youtube-serial" inbetween the youtube tags, or just post the entire youtube video url.

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote