The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 29-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #141
destroythehead
Learning The Ropes
destroythehead is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

I've been having some trouble working out a few sounds in the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I'm still pretty early in the learning process, so I very well could be asking something laughably simple or ridiculously complex, but I would be extremely grateful to anyone who would help me approximate these sounds.

The first one is the synth that begins to fade in at around :15.

The second appears at 1:48

Advertisements

destroythehead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #142
Sine6
Radial Developer
Sine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MCSine6 is a savage MC
Cologne
MC Status: 184732

hey guys, this is probably a easy one... i cant figure out how to create that "harder" second wobble from she is dangers "hurt you".
what lfo waveform do i select?

any other input on that?

its the wobble just on 1.00 min...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

thanks a lot guys
Sine6 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #143
Noyd
Regular Freak
Noyd is a jewel in the roughNoyd is a jewel in the roughNoyd is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 258

I wonder about 2 drumsounds and how to find/tweak them.
I got addictive drums and i cant seem to make them
sound like this,( i have some sample libraries too)

1. This real drum typical pop music, dry and upfront

2. And this kind of drums, reverbed i think, heavy

-[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I guess them both are real drumkits, and like i said, i have
addictive drums, so how do i tweak them that way??

Last edited by Noyd; 30-01-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Noyd is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #144
CrazyRuzlan
Granular Poster
CrazyRuzlan has a spectacular aura aboutCrazyRuzlan has a spectacular aura aboutCrazyRuzlan has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 233

any tips on how to get some dark eary sounds out of ableton, the massive vst or any free vst plug ins you could suggest?
CrazyRuzlan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #145
Psi
Minor Glitch
Psi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MC
MC Status: 103742

Hello everyone,

today I am sitting on a guitar based song I made couple of weeks ago. It basically consists of drums and, what is important for my request, two guitar tracks. The song has been recorded in different sessions, and unfortunately the guitar sounds different from part to part (referring to the different sessions, I think that problem occured because the position of the microphone changed slightly.) Well, my plan has been to use a Match EQ (I want to use the Izotope Ozone 4 for that) to try to fix that problem. Problem now after trying Ozone is, that there is no audible difference between the guitars with and without Ozone.

OK, so this is how I tried to use Ozone:
1) Making Snapshot of the "source" signal, that has to be changed
2) Snapshot of the "target" signal, for how the guitar has to sound like
3) Choose "Match" in the main menu

Does anyone have a clue, a good tutorial or anything else how to use the Match EQ the right way for my purpose? Rerecording the whole thing unfortunately is no option. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Okay, I fixed that problem by myself.

Last edited by Psi; 03-02-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Psi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #146
sjlowy
Minor Glitch
sjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MC
MC Status: 101404
Icon2 Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Hey guys,

Lately I've just been experimenting with different sounding drums. I've come back here to ask if anyone can give some good advice on how to make a good kick drum sound. I know it must have something to do with compression and maybe even converting the midi to audio and then messing with the effects there. I'm still a beginner in Live, so any help or ideas would be a world of knowledge for me.

Much much appreciated.

cheers.
sjlowy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #147
vinnygator
Learning The Ropes
vinnygator is currently spamming hard

hi, i'm trying to figure out a couple of things that may be very basic but still have trouble doing.
In most Dnb, dubstep tunes, some songs (usually with vocals) have this effect they use just when they move from the intro to the main bit of the song and vocals kick in, to help the transition and give it more of a drop. I'm talking about the "percieved airy space" between the first kick and snare in a typical dubstep beat that enhances the first snare sound that u hear, kinda feels like a bomb launched from the kick and detonates on the snare.
In this song it happens just before the first kick and then right after moving into the first snare, it's not the same sound (before and after the kick), i'm talking about how to get that feeling. 26sec

The other thing is what seems like a pretty standard sound, u can hear it from 1min 53sec clearly
it's like a high pitched growl almost but still retains the bass. (not the pitch bend he uses throughout the track) just that bassy high frequency growl.

Sorry, some may not like the track but i just want to know how to get that sound and effect....

thanx
vinnygator is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #148
crazy.daylight
Regular Freak
crazy.daylight is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlowy View Post
Hey guys,

Lately I've just been experimenting with different sounding drums. I've come back here to ask if anyone can give some good advice on how to make a good kick drum sound. I know it must have something to do with compression and maybe even converting the midi to audio and then messing with the effects there. I'm still a beginner in Live, so any help or ideas would be a world of knowledge for me.

Much much appreciated.

cheers.

Hey mate, I had a bit of trouble with this myself when I was starting out.... The best advice I can give you is choose your samples wisely. Get an idea of the kind of kick sound that you like from some of your favourite tunes then search for a similar sound in your samples or get some new ones if the ones you have aren't sounding that good. There is so many out there that are rubbish so u have to sift through the piles of crap to find that one bit of gold.

further more, layering two kicks can also be effective. this is simply a matter of playing around with a few different samples and being a bit intuitive about what your first sample might be missing and finding another sample that can fill the gap. Then a bit of simple Eq to polish it a bit will do wonders.

Compression can be helpful but often electronic samples are fairly compressed already so i wouldn't get too obsessed with compression of electronic kick drums as a first place to start. Then only place where compression is really essential is with live drums with lots of dynamics.

Hope this helps you
crazy.daylight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #149
crazy.daylight
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattriley View Post
Hey all, two questions

1. How do I get my drop to sound bigger? (Drop = When the drums and main elements of a song come in after a break) My drops sound really weak.

2. How do I create the "dj spinback" type sound?
Here's an example of it: Go to about 1:50 in the video (just the first song I thought of when I was looking for an example)

Hey bro, here's my thoughts...

Two main things that i would recommend is checking out your frequencies. if there is any sort of mudding in the low frequencies then it will make the music sound weak so getting a real tight punchy bass and kick is important.

Also having good dynamics between the two sections is important. generally for a minimum of a few bars before the big drop i never have any full on subs in the build up so that when it drops there is a decent contrast.

A third thing is your composition. If the groove or melody is wrong compositionally when the drop comes then it will detract from the effect of the drop. Sometimes the most effective drop is more simple than you might expect. A more complicated version may be more appropriate as a development in the tune.

Lemme know if you want me to eleborate further on any of this
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #150
sjlowy
Minor Glitch
sjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy.daylight View Post
Hey mate, I had a bit of trouble with this myself when I was starting out.... The best advice I can give you is choose your samples wisely. Get an idea of the kind of kick sound that you like from some of your favourite tunes then search for a similar sound in your samples or get some new ones if the ones you have aren't sounding that good. There is so many out there that are rubbish so u have to sift through the piles of crap to find that one bit of gold.

further more, layering two kicks can also be effective. this is simply a matter of playing around with a few different samples and being a bit intuitive about what your first sample might be missing and finding another sample that can fill the gap. Then a bit of simple Eq to polish it a bit will do wonders.

Compression can be helpful but often electronic samples are fairly compressed already so i wouldn't get too obsessed with compression of electronic kick drums as a first place to start. Then only place where compression is really essential is with live drums with lots of dynamics.

Hope this helps you
This helps a ton, man. Now, in terms of samples, are you talking about samples already given to me in Live or should I do some sample hunting on the internet and download ones that I like? Or both?

Everything else you've given me here has been extremely helpful. I'd just like to know where to get some awesome samples from. I know there's a post somewhere on the IDM forum that is literally over 10 pages of just links to great sample websites, so I'll be checking those out for sure, but I guess I just need to know if I already have some "gold" waiting for me in live.

Thanks again for the help
Currently Listening To: michigan and smiley
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #151
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygator View Post
hi, i'm trying to figure out a couple of things that may be very basic but still have trouble doing.
In most Dnb, dubstep tunes, some songs (usually with vocals) have this effect they use just when they move from the intro to the main bit of the song and vocals kick in, to help the transition and give it more of a drop. I'm talking about the "percieved airy space" between the first kick and snare in a typical dubstep beat that enhances the first snare sound that u hear, kinda feels like a bomb launched from the kick and detonates on the snare.
In this song it happens just before the first kick and then right after moving into the first snare, it's not the same sound (before and after the kick), i'm talking about how to get that feeling. 26sec
Amplitude envelope (slow amplitude attack), volume modulation/automation, or even sidechain compression.

Quote:
The other thing is what seems like a pretty standard sound, u can hear it from 1min 53sec clearly
it's like a high pitched growl almost but still retains the bass. (not the pitch bend he uses throughout the track) just that bassy high frequency growl.
i have no idea what you are refering to.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #152
vinnygator
Learning The Ropes

thanx for the reply, um sorry maybe i over elaborated on describing that sound. just the sound he uses for bass on that track, when it's not wobbling( in this case he subsitutes wobbles for just pitch bends, i think). I choose 1min53 sec cause from that bit theres hardly any other distinct synths playing. Well I thought he actuallly layers two synths, one for the low end solid bass then the other for the growl, so i was interested in getting that growl (well it's not a growl, im shit at describing the sound, just listen from 1min53sec, the synth u hear then is the sound i'm looking for) sorry..... it sounds like a pretty standrd sound, but it eats me up that i cant get it right. I've heard it in loads of commercial style dubstep tracks (non-grimey tracks) it's usually their only way to add some electronic dirt to the song. infact.....yh thats how i can describe it in this song, it's the only dirty(well not exactly dirty) element in this track, the only sound that lets u know u listening to dubstep.
1min 53sec

any help plsss..... oh if u know the correct way of describing that sound, it would also help =)

Last edited by vinnygator; 05-02-2011 at 10:44 PM..
Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #153
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Maybe you mean stacked distorted saws (maybe some unison) with filter and a pinch of chorus? You could add a sine one octave below to make it fatter.

------------------
Old 06-02-2011, 02:42 AM   #154
crazy.daylight
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlowy View Post
This helps a ton, man. Now, in terms of samples, are you talking about samples already given to me in Live or should I do some sample hunting on the internet and download ones that I like? Or both?

Everything else you've given me here has been extremely helpful. I'd just like to know where to get some awesome samples from. I know there's a post somewhere on the IDM forum that is literally over 10 pages of just links to great sample websites, so I'll be checking those out for sure, but I guess I just need to know if I already have some "gold" waiting for me in live.

Thanks again for the help

I dont use the samples inside live much, all of mine have come from third party sample collections. I have had most of my kick drum samples for years so i dont really have any suggestions for which of the currently available sample packs have got dope kicks. I would recommend going through some until you find the gold.

or...

You could make a post and see if anyone can be more helpful recommending a good set of drums for your given genre.

The only one I can reccomend straight up is the 70's and 60's drums which are an amazingly well layered set of accoustic drums in .nki format. But thats more for doing fills etc if your doing electronic music
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #155
vinnygator
Learning The Ropes

hi
I forgot which movie production company it is, but at the begining of their movies theres that long VVVOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM synth, how do i get that effect, i know u make the attack increase exponentially but what parameters of the synth do u link to the attack so u get a clean vvvvooommm, cause i want to do that , but with a much shorter time for attack than in the movie. When that time is short it makes it harder to clearly hear it, I basicly want to make kind of a sustained stab...

Thank you
Old 07-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #156
sjlowy
Minor Glitch
Icon2 Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Hey there.

I'm trying to make a sub bass to go with a new electro track I'm working on. Something really low and boomy. In the same vein, how would I go about making some really low bass sounds to go along with the track? I'm talking about something to give the whole track some huge bottom sound.

Any ideas?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 PM   #157
Persiflage
Persiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond repute
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 2142

Quote:
hi
I forgot which movie production company it is, but at the begining of their movies theres that long VVVOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM synth, how do i get that effect,

Thank you

The THX audio Logo is called [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and was originally programmed in the C programming language back in 1983, requiring about 20,000 lines of code to be written. Basically, it isn't a single synth voice, its a whole bunch of different synth sounds layered together.

From its Wikipedia article:

Quote:
The THX logo theme consists of 30 voices over seven [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, starting in a narrow range, 200 to 400 [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, and slowly diverting to preselected pitches encompassing three [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. The 30 voices begin at pitches between 200 Hz and 400 Hz and arrive at pre-selected pitches spanning three octaves by the fourth measure. The highest pitch is slightly [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
while there are double the number of voices of the lowest two pitches.
So, basically, its a whole lot of different sounds happening at once. The real key to the sound is that some of the elements glissando up and some down but start from about the same place. Here's an in-depth description of how to recreate this effect. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Persiflage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #158
J.HiZ
Minor Glitch
J.HiZ is currently spamming hard

I posted a link to download a quick sample of what I am trying to achieve... Should be easy to recreate but I'cant get it for the life of me.... Can anyone help?

Last edited by J.HiZ; 08-02-2011 at 09:52 PM..
J.HiZ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Fat Electro Pumping Bass
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #159
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
hi
I forgot which movie production company it is, but at the begining of their movies theres that long VVVOOOMMMMMMMMMMMM synth, how do i get that effect, i know u make the attack increase exponentially but what parameters of the synth do u link to the attack so u get a clean vvvvooommm, cause i want to do that , but with a much shorter time for attack than in the movie. When that time is short it makes it harder to clearly hear it, I basicly want to make kind of a sustained stab...

Thank you
To follow up on Persiflage's reply, check out HighC:

I've been fond of HighC for some time (even though I haven't used it in a while now). HighC is a graphical music creation tool and inspired by Iannis Xenakis' software UPIC.

and posted the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
He did ok: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
">

The original: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
">

------------------
Currently Listening To: some dirty dirty dutch
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #160
douknowjuno
Regular Freak
douknowjuno is currently spamming hard
England

Anyone else think this basslines made on a a moog voyager. ?

Advertisements

douknowjuno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote