The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 24-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #81
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosaur View Post
How does one manually remove vocals, or isolate them from a recording. I know the process involves removing or isolating particular frequencies, but is the method just EQ the hell out of it? Is there another way to remove specific frequencies?
M/S (mid/side) effects can help a bit.

Advertisements

Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #82
djcoma1200
Learning The Ropes
djcoma1200 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
its not a matter of just removing frequencies. i have been trying to do this myself recently with a specific track but have had bad luck so far, so please if anyone can add onto what i say you could help me too.

anyway, the most common tool is a matter of extracting the mono frequencies as most vocals are centered. but this obviously leaves some unwanted frequencies which you then can EQ out. there is more to it than that but thats the basics of it.
at least thats what im aware of. if im wrong please correct me.

there are tools for this such as "Elevayta Extra Boy" which i am trying the demo of at the moment.
Another way to do it is with the instrumental. If you have the instrumental to the track, or can make the instrumental by looping it, you can try this method. Line up the instrumental on a new track with the regular version of the song. Invert the phase on the instrumental track. What that does is cancel out all the frequencies in the instrumental and since there's no vocals on the instrumental track, the vocals won't be cancelled out. Adjust the loudness of the instrumental track to control the amount that gets cancelled. Combine that method with other ones to get best results.
djcoma1200 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #83
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18026269

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoma1200 View Post
Another way to do it is with the instrumental. If you have the instrumental to the track, or can make the instrumental by looping it, you can try this method. Line up the instrumental on a new track with the regular version of the song. Invert the phase on the instrumental track. What that does is cancel out all the frequencies in the instrumental and since there's no vocals on the instrumental track, the vocals won't be cancelled out. Adjust the loudness of the instrumental track to control the amount that gets cancelled. Combine that method with other ones to get best results.
this is a very sloppy way of doing things though unless you have an exact replica of the original minus the vocals. which i dont

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #84
djcoma1200
Learning The Ropes
djcoma1200 is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
this is a very sloppy way of doing things though unless you have an exact replica of the original minus the vocals. which i dont
I never said it would produce amazing results, that's why I said combine it with the other methods. And ya you would need the exact instrumental.
djcoma1200 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #85
Confuzzled
Regular Freak
Confuzzled is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasa View Post
hello, i need some help.
can anyone explain to me how to get a sound like in this track?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

i mean the dark synth which is playing since the start
I reckon something big and metallic will do the job, possibly with a little water in it.
Confuzzled is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #86
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Please thread help me! I've been wanting to do stuff like this for ages, how do I do it?

1:59

please deliver!
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #87
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamOthello View Post
Please thread help me! I've been wanting to do stuff like this for ages, how do I do it?

1:59

please deliver!
Individually processed short sounds (short delaytime with lots of feedback, filter envelopes, etc). They all seem very highpassed and some are retriggered.
Very tastefully done.

Joshua used to be on this forum (under the name benelli3000). Too bad he isn't here these days, or he could probably tell you himself.

edit: lol at "please deliver!"
Old 04-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #88
IamOthello
Radial Developer
IamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to allIamOthello is a name known to all
Small town Indiana.
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Individually processed short sounds (short delaytime with lots of feedback, filter envelopes, etc). They all seem very highpassed and some are retriggered.
Very tastefully done.

Joshua used to be on this forum (under the name benelli3000). Too bad he isn't here these days, or he could probably tell you himself.

edit: lol at "please deliver!"
Alrighty, that's a good start. I'll play around with that. Thanks!

Telefon is so amazing, it's a damn shame about Charles. :\
IamOthello is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #89
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamOthello View Post
Telefon is so amazing, it's a damn shame about Charles. :\
Very true! Don't mix alcohol with sleeping pills.

Here is a screenshot from PT of one of the tracks on Fahrenheit Fair Enough (but the same result can be made with using a sampler, stacked with samples):

Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #90
felicss
Learning The Ropes
felicss is currently spamming hard

I am already trying for a while to get a kick like in

flying lotus - roberta flack (Martyn's heartbeat mix)

it seems to have a 50Hz sine fundament BUT where do i find a similar sharp attack kick sample like he s using ??
does anyone have an idea?
thanks
felicss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:08 AM   #91
JackLawtey
Learning The Ropes
JackLawtey is currently spamming hard

Everything Four Tet has ever done.

No but seriously, the intro to this song - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It sounds like he's just chopping up an part of a motif from another song and arranging rhythmically, is that.. it? I mean, I guess I'm praying there's some lovely, easy way of doing stuff like this.
JackLawtey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #92
GOONIE
Regular Freak
GOONIE is currently spamming hard

I know this is super simple, but I have been trying to learn sound design but am having a little bit of trouble..

How do i create a continually rising synth? Something similar to Deadmau5's "Bad Selection".. its obviously following some kind of upward slope pattern LFO, but im not exactly sure how you use one of those damn things yet
GOONIE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #93
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOONIE View Post
I know this is super simple, but I have been trying to learn sound design but am having a little bit of trouble..

How do i create a continually rising synth? Something similar to Deadmau5's "Bad Selection".. its obviously following some kind of upward slope pattern LFO, but im not exactly sure how you use one of those damn things yet
Yes, ramp modulation on pitch could work. Also automate pitch and portamento would work.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #94
Coce
Analog Lurker
Coce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2565

HOW DO I

Volume up my tracks,because I got shitty hardware,so when I render a track its volume is minimized,
what software you guys use,and what is the general Db for electronic tracks?

Thanks in advance
Coce is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #95
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coce View Post
HOW DO I

Volume up my tracks,because I got shitty hardware,so when I render a track its volume is minimized,
what software you guys use,and what is the general Db for electronic tracks?

Thanks in advance
Low input? A decent preamp or mixer should do it.

Or are you talking about rendering a track that has low average RMS? Then it's individual processing, mixing and mastering.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #96
Coce
Analog Lurker
Coce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond reputeCoce has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2565

No,its general,all my tracks rendered are low volume.
A mixer could do?I'll check that option out.
Coce is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #97
spaceman
fuck techno
spaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MC
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)
MC Status: 573989

how do i get the sort of driving drill sound like in this? (the main melody pad)

It sounds a bit like a hand held drill (vvvvrrwwwwww), but like, you know, not like a drill.
spaceman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #98
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coce View Post
No,its general,all my tracks rendered are low volume.
A mixer could do?I'll check that option out.
You mean your softsynths, effects, etc are rendered low? Then look into mixing and individual processing.
You don't need a hardware mixer/preamp for that then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
how do i get the sort of driving drill sound like in this? (the main melody pad)

It sounds a bit like a hand held drill (vvvvrrwwwwww), but like, you know, not like a drill.
The lowpassed retriggered sound? Some lowpassed (or maybe bandpassed) retriggered sound.
edit: it could also be a very very low sawtooth, bandpassed.

Last edited by Evelon; 11-12-2010 at 11:33 PM..
Old 11-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #99
Bwell
Analog Lurker
Bwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MCBwell is a savage MC
Austin, Texas
MC Status: 1312733

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post

I've wondered the same thing. Is it some sort of synth just with some noise thrown in?

------------------
soundcloud.com/bwell
Bwell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #100
spaceman
fuck techno
spaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MCspaceman is a savage MC
A Yank in Vanc(ouver)
MC Status: 573989

Right now I'm experimenting with having a mixed white/pink noise on top of my synth, then bandpassing it and modulating the frequency of the filter. Moderate success.

Advertisements

spaceman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote