The "How do I do that?" Thread - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 22-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #181
eyehavenoi
Granular Poster
eyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond reputeeyehavenoi has a reputation beyond repute
Vermont
MC Status: 5737
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

Sounds good to me, thanks

I watched a tutorial where a bass patch was programmed by tuning the osc pitch way down.. but it seems It was easier to get the sound I wanted just playing from the bass octave on the keyboard. Is there a consensus on how each method effects the overall timbre? Preference?

Advertisements

eyehavenoi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #182
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

If you add oscillators and pitch these differently to the original pitch you get new timbre/overtones/characteristics. I'm pretty sure that's what you watched. You usually play the low notes anyway (most basses are), but the individual oscillators can be pitched and tuned differently to add richness to the sound.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #183
midischool
Regular Freak
midischool is currently spamming hard
Manchester
MC Status: 10

Yeah, sometimes the bass benefits from more than one oscillator tuned down and layered.

This causes a nice double tracking effect in certain situations, but doesn't always sound better for it.
midischool is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #184
hexagon sun
Learning The Ropes
hexagon sun is currently spamming hard

alright. this is more for my own curiosity, but i'm very interested to know how Autechre made the "Foil sound"... talking about the first pad you hear on the track. i've been messing around with some things trying to recreate it (vibrato, delay, pitch bends, etc) but i'm stumped.

if anybody can help me out here, even with general starting points, i'd appreciate it.
hexagon sun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #185
rascuachex
Learning The Ropes
rascuachex is currently spamming hard

Hey I am really just getting started and learning my way around on these programs. Right now I am using propellerhead's reason 5. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out in finding a good place to get samples for electric pianos, I am particularly looking for samples of roland electric pianos. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.
rascuachex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Do Make Say Think
Old 28-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #186
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18026369

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascuachex View Post
Hey I am really just getting started and learning my way around on these programs. Right now I am using propellerhead's reason 5. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out in finding a good place to get samples for electric pianos, I am particularly looking for samples of roland electric pianos. Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

just below halfway down is the "k1 roland mc-202" refill. maybe theres something in there you could use?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #187
Psi
Minor Glitch
Psi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MCPsi is a savage MC
MC Status: 103742

Question: I am working with Reason 4 (synths- and drums-programming) and Logic Studio 9 (guitars, percussion and other live recorded elements). I want some elements of my virtual drumset to be played backwards, so my aim is to automate the play mode of the drum elements the way I want (switching between the signal played forwards or backwards). I noticed that in the NNXT, I have the opportunity to select a drum element to be played forward or backwards, but there seems no way in Reason 4 to automate that.
Does anyone know a way to automate the play mode of drum samples in Reason 4/Logic 9?
Psi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #188
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Question: I am working with Reason 4 (synths- and drums-programming) and Logic Studio 9 (guitars, percussion and other live recorded elements). I want some elements of my virtual drumset to be played backwards, so my aim is to automate the play mode of the drum elements the way I want (switching between the signal played forwards or backwards). I noticed that in the NNXT, I have the opportunity to select a drum element to be played forward or backwards, but there seems no way in Reason 4 to automate that.
Does anyone know a way to automate the play mode of drum samples in Reason 4/Logic 9?
its been a long time since ive used reason properly, but if you can't automate it, you could always load a forward and backward version into your sampler. this would probably be better anyway because you would have more flexibility

------------------
signature loading...
Old 03-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #189
sjlowy
Minor Glitch
sjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MCsjlowy is a savage MC
MC Status: 101404

So as I'm getting more familiar with Live and how to use it's synths to the best of their ability, I'm finding more and more that I want to get a bigger sound. Something like the drop in this song:
">.

Is it just me, or does Live just not offer the same abilities as some programs like Massive? Can I make the same sounds as a Massive synth in Live?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
:2420ddd:
sjlowy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 AM   #190
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlowy View Post
So as I'm getting more familiar with Live and how to use it's synths to the best of their ability, I'm finding more and more that I want to get a bigger sound. Something like the drop in this song: .

Is it just me, or does Live just not offer the same abilities as some programs like Massive? Can I make the same sounds as a Massive synth in Live?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
:2420ddd:
not all that familiar with live, but i would imagine you can make a very similar sound. the only big differences would be how you go about making the sound.
there are many different types of synthesis and algorithms but there is nothing stopping you creating a great sound with any of them.
however, in my opinion, massive is a great synth and you should at least try it out.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #191
NickB.
Minor Glitch
NickB. is currently spamming hard
Lower 48 states--Based in Seattle

How would I make this type of West Coast House Bass line with say Logic and some VST's ?
NickB. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: michigan and smiley
Old 07-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #192
hipsonnyboy1
Analog Lurker
hipsonnyboy1 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

how do i create deep house rhodes with sylenth1 ,,
hipsonnyboy1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: house music
Old 09-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #193
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

Hey guys!

I know this is an easy one, is just that i can´t really identify what kind of sound is it or more like the processing used on that.

Its during the first 30 seconds, it sounds kind of like an electric piano, but the processing is like if the low cut was being automated since the 1st sencond of the track.

Any hints?

">

------------------
"Welcome to electronic music production! Please say goodbye to your family, videogames, TV, friends, other hobbies and any meaningful relationships you may still be clinging to. Prepare to spend all of your free time working from now until you find yourself wallowing in a puddle of your own tears in the corner out of frustration."
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #194
hipsonnyboy1
Analog Lurker

wich vst is best for making rhodes? ..... deep soulful rhodes... or pads.. oh i like pads and rhodes.. hehe
Currently Listening To: house
Old 09-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #195
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsonnyboy1 View Post
wich vst is best for making rhodes? ..... deep soulful rhodes... or pads.. oh i like pads and rhodes.. hehe
The best Rhodes is a Rhodes, or samples of one.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #196
hipsonnyboy1
Analog Lurker

du kan inte vara seriös ,, hjälp mej , how do i create deep rhodes with sylenth1...
Old 10-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #197
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsonnyboy1 View Post
du kan inte vara seriös ,, hjälp mej , how do i create deep rhodes with sylenth1...
what, like this person?

------------------
signature loading...
Old 10-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #198
4nerub
4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute4nerub has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6462

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nerub View Post
Hey guys!

I know this is an easy one, is just that i can´t really identify what kind of sound is it or more like the processing used on that.

Its during the first 30 seconds, it sounds kind of like an electric piano, but the processing is like if the low cut was being automated since the 1st sencond of the track.

Any hints?

Its actually an organ or some rhodes, just cant identify the processing used. :/

------------------
"Welcome to electronic music production! Please say goodbye to your family, videogames, TV, friends, other hobbies and any meaningful relationships you may still be clinging to. Prepare to spend all of your free time working from now until you find yourself wallowing in a puddle of your own tears in the corner out of frustration."
4nerub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #199
sup
Learning The Ropes
sup is currently spamming hard

Hi! I am totally new to this forum and am relatively new to music production, so I don't know much about the theory of music-making hardwares/synth settings/vsts etc, but there is one sound that I am looking for, and I hope that someone could enlighten me how to make (is there a certain vst/setting or do I have to buy hardware?).

You can hear the synth in Kylie Minogue's Speakerphone (Steve Andersen Studio version). Starts at 2:30:

">

It's a heavy synth that kind of reminds me of Rock that Body by BEP or Daft Punk in general, but I don't think it is a talkbox?

If anyone could tell me I would be very gratefulOh, and I am using FL Studio 8 XXL.

Thanks!
sup is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Fat Electro Pumping Bass
Old 13-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #200
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

HOW I MAEK SUPERULTRAMeGASAW

Advertisements

Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote