Snare producing/mixing techniques
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #1
Zukko
Learning The Ropes
Zukko is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Snare producing/mixing techniques

Hi everyone !

So I've been producing a lot lately and trying to improve my drum designing/mixing skills. I've learned a lot practicing layering with ADSR/EQ techniques, and made a lot of progress with kick drums, but i'm currently focusing more on snares.

So far, i discovered a few ways to have harder hitting snare :

- Layer it with claps/hats for the attack
- Isolate a great snare tail, apply reverb, bounce it and group it with the other layers
- Slightly make your transient offbeat to give the whole a more "snappy" sound
- Obviously compression/transient designer to enhance the attack
- EQ with bells on the highs, boosting the lows to give more "body" to the snare

But I think there's also things going on with the stereo field which I haven't figured out yet. Since my english isn't very good (i'm french) i'm not even gonna try to describe it , so instead here's an example of a track I like and of the kind of result i'd love to acheive :

The kind of snare I'm trying to replicate appears at 1:10. By listening closely to this, I can tell that there's things going on with the stereo, which makes the snare kind of "everywhere", really sitting in the mix. Nevertheless it's still really present and "poping out", and the main body of the snare sounds like it's centered.

So I've been looking for stereo techniques to make that kind of snare but my researches haven't been really successful. What I've tried is to send the snare group/bus (which I always center in my mix) to a stereo reverb; it sounded good, but didn't have the impact i was looking for.

So if you guys had any clue on techniques that may have been used to get that kind of snare, i'd be really glad to learn from you. Thanks in advance !!

Zukko

Advertisements

Zukko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Snare producing/mixing techniques

this is just aquick listen wioth other shit goingo n in the backgroun of my listening space today so it's not fully accurate i guess, but... that snare is a snare and clap combo, the snare hits slightly first on the left side and the clap just after in the middle-ish. both are sent to reverb that's the same but individual sends i would say, so more control over the individual reverbs and the reverb is panned slightly to the opposite of the original source.
the original source samples sound pretty compressed together too before the reverb send
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukko View Post

- Layer it with claps/hats for the attack
- Isolate a great snare tail, apply reverb, bounce it and group it with the other layers
- Slightly make your transient offbeat to give the whole a more "snappy" sound
- Obviously compression/transient designer to enhance the attack
- EQ with bells on the highs, boosting the lows to give more "body" to the snare
Try adding a layer of white noise (adjust amp decay to taste), to emulate the rattling of a snare bed. Roll-off both lows and highs and EQ it to taste.
You can make it wide by stacking 2 or more noise oscillators and detune/unison them and spread it out.
The 200Hz-ish in the body (fundamental) is usually boosted to make it pop, as well as adding the noise ahead of the hit to emphesize the transient.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
666 (23-06-2016)
Old 19-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #4
Zukko
Learning The Ropes
Zukko is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Hey guys thanks a lot for the answers !

Evelon this white noise thing is awesome, actually i had tried this with actual snare samples but it didn't sound good together because of the snares transients. The white noise is way softer, and actually sounds like a snare bed ! I managed to quickly make it sound good, and i've just started experimenting.

And Benwaa you got it pretty right i think, about the snare/clap combo, but also for the opposite send to reverb. I already knew that kind of technique which i used for backing vocals (one panned left sends to a right panned reverb, and vice versa), but i used it with the white noise technique from Evelon, and it sounds awesome, i get a real stereo spreading snare !

Damn, i should have started asking help here sooner haha. Thanks again guys, you've been really helpful here, if you have any more tips like this i'd be glad to read it !

Zukko
Zukko is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Glad you liked it.

------------------
Old 19-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #6
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukko View Post
I can tell that there's things going on with the stereo, which makes the snare kind of "everywhere"
I'm really interested in this too. Some artists have so big snares that almost drive the track alone with the kick and sub but they are somehow able to keep the snare from getting too annoying.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1540577
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,311 Posts

for these Daft Punk and frenchy-house inspired snares try layering a 909 tom with your snare for more of that low mix body.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #8
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

green noise instead of white noise

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

For stereo play, make two channels. Offset them slightly in time. Pan them hard left and right. This is a great way to make any instrument wider and more present. Put on stereo plugin, center the signal again. Move around the timings until it sounds good, you get an extra attack layer here and it work like just as hihat layering on top, just be picky with the time offset. As the snare plays have the stereo width "open" up or close as you want. This way you can make it go from mid (like 30% stereo) and then spread out more on the sides (to like 60%). If you add white noise to this effect chain the effect will be very obvious. On white noise, EQ it so it fits, be very mindful of its ADSR. Reverb I think should go after all this in the chain.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crude_beats View Post
For stereo play, make two channels. Offset them slightly in time. Pan them hard left and right. This is a great way to make any instrument wider and more present. Put on stereo plugin, center the signal again. Move around the timings until it sounds good
Or you can add a comb filter (single slapback delay, 0-40ms). It does the same thing.
Haas Effects has it's place, and is more used as a "HRTF/binaural panning". Just beware of the comb filtering that it introduces.

------------------
Old 21-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Or you can add a comb filter (single slapback delay, 0-40ms). It does the same thing.
Haas Effects has it's place, and is more used as a "HRTF/binaural panning". Just beware of the comb filtering that it introduces.
yeah gotta be picky with the timings so it still sounds alright.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45946931
Thanked 5,775 Times in 3,628 Posts

Parallel compression also works well. Run your snare(s) through a new channel and set the compression to a very high ratio, like 8:1 and then set the attack to around 20ms, release around 120ms-300ms and then crank the threshold all the way up, pulling it back until you're happy with the result. then blend with the original to taste.

For delays and reverbs, hipass and lopass those so that only 300hz-3000hz is audible.

Last edited by Numerical; 23-06-2016 at 08:05 PM..

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
earthportal
Regular Freak
earthportal will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I wish I could give you exact details on how to Google this, but there was an article by Questlove of the Roots where he spoke about how he mics up his snare on every song slightly different, and runs it through various effects to constantly process new textures for his snare. It was fascinating and I never realized he put that much work into it. Can't remember where the article was from, but do some Google research and check it out if you want to be inspired.

Advertisements

earthportal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote