How do you use Compression? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #21
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
Re: How do you use Compression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oly View Post
i use it wrong
+1

Advertisements

------------------
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #22
Badoumba
Regular Freak
Badoumba is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Check out "Foundations of audio: compression and dynamic processing" video series from Brian Lee White. The most advanced tuto I know.
Badoumba is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
lex_horton
Learning The Ropes
lex_horton is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

much much less than i used to!

TBH i reach for the EQ more these days when it comes to fixing peaks etc.
daddy kev said as much in the video on FACT magazine

if i was recording live performances of instruments or vocals it would be a different story but i make electronic music.
that said i use an SSL bus compressor on the master and just leave it on all the time but its not essential IMHO.

i think compression in dance music has ended up way over hyped in the last 10+ years.

sidechaining using your kick? thats a different story.
lex_horton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #24
erikmichael
Minor Glitch
erikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 160

To help a track sit better in a mix if it's poking too much forward. Set a medium attack to let transient through and a medium to slow release. This can really tighten up a sound and make it punchier while pushing it back a bit.
erikmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #25
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Basically only use it for sidechaining or tightening up transients on drums. And even those, rarely. I should probably learn to use it properly!
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #26
2oo3
Radial Developer
2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future2oo3 has a brilliant future
Mechelen
MC Status: 1510

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex_horton View Post
much much less than i used to!

TBH i reach for the EQ more these days when it comes to fixing peaks etc.
daddy kev said as much in the video on FACT magazine

if i was recording live performances of instruments or vocals it would be a different story but i make electronic music.
that said i use an SSL bus compressor on the master and just leave it on all the time but its not essential IMHO.

i think compression in dance music has ended up way over hyped in the last 10+ years.

sidechaining using your kick? thats a different story.
+1

I'm learning the ropes on compression. I think less is more, but none is way less.

------------------
I don't have to be right, I just have to provoke your thoughts
2oo3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #27
Mika Technika
Regular Freak
Mika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MCMika Technika is a savage MC
Serbia, Novi Sad
MC Status: 34061

Not so on individual tracks, but on master extensively!
I like saturation on almost every channel, so that's the reason for not so compressing individually.
Mika Technika is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #28
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45946931
Thanked 5,775 Times in 3,628 Posts

For bass - consistency in levels
for drums - leveling out drum hits and tonal shaping to provide needed smackage
for clean guitars and plucked sounds - to make things sound slightly "ducked" and bell-like
vocals - leveling and some tonal shaping but mostly to keep plosives and loud singing consistently leveled.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 12:31 AM   #29
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

In previous years, I used lots of EQs and Classic Master Limiter on almost every single individual track, to fatten them up, and then I used several EQ's before a Limiter on the master bus. Back then it was a fierce struggle to keep from clipping and got an extremely aggressive and punctual sound.

These days I do a lot less EQ and compression and limiting. Many times I only do compression on the master bus.

I kind of miss the heavy powerful sound I used to get, but it took way too long to mix because I was juggling way too many VST's. But I might go back to using compression on almost every channel, just to get everything working together slightly easier.

But I do like having the nice healthy dynamics and high frequency clarity.
And if the synth sounds are already fit for mixing, there's no need to tamper with them.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 02:04 AM   #30
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

I use it when parts aren't behaving....like that bass that I have to strain to hear? Getting brickwalled and scaled up. The guitar is a little too fuzzy and crazy? Same thing just scaled down. If I need crazy distorted drums, maybe I apply it to them too. Generally however I feel like if you are using good quality sounds, the less processing you have to do, is the less compression you have to worry about, and the more I can think about nonsense to stick in the piano roll.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Nystagmus (15-06-2016)
Old 15-06-2016, 03:47 AM   #31
Knob Twiddler
666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute666 has a reputation beyond repute
#Quit IDMf
MC Status: 7010

After 50 different types of distortion, where it's virtually useless anyway

Advertisements

------------------
:bye::bye:
666 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote