Working with the low
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 19-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
tokian
Analog Lurker
tokian will become famous soon enoughtokian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Working with the low

Well i know there are thousands of topics about the methods that can get you the low frequencies of a track to work together and bring to your mix that professional feel and power, but i want to ask you guys "all from the start" since it seems that ive been missing something. I've been experimenting with subs and basses for months now but i had no luck at all. I will break down the problems i face in points.

1.the bass never sounds something more than a basic patch
2. complex basslines never fit in the track ( iam always limited to simple single note (root of the chord )basslines because anything different sounds wack ,doesnt fit with the chord , phases etc.. )
3. i can never get that wide , juicy , full sound that you feel comfortable listening to and is able to support the track through out the mix

things i have tried:
1. stereo imaging the higher part of the low frequncies
2. using sine wave as boost
3. used various harmonic enhancers and low frequency generators.
4 . equed and cutted out the frequencies of the sounds that play together to avoid phase
5 . used various soft synths.
6 . tried layering the bass with a more clear sound to make the melody of it more clearly

its quite obvious that either i am missing something , or i do the above steps wrong.
Moreover to get myself more clear , Nicoas Jaar does exactly what i want to achieve.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at 1:11 you can hear that the bass that comes in , is full , wide (even if its mono) and its follows a simple melody.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at 1:17 again you can hear a full subby bass following a melody but still fits in so well...

Concluding what i am tring to achieve is a clear (tonically ) but still full and "supportive" bassline .

I would be thankful for a lifetime if anyone has any input on the issue. Also sorry for the long post and using my own terms to describe things ;p

Advertisements

tokian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: Working with the low

are you using more than just a basic patch for your bass? what are you monitoring your sounds with too btw.. room treated etc?

2. that's a fairly simple one to achieve IMO, write a track from the bassline up instead of the melody then then bassline afterwards, this way you make the melodics fit to the complex pattern bass.
3. it comes with correct sound design, compressing right. normally layering etc. there's not so much actually going on in that jaar track you posted (the first one) so it's pretty simple to get the mix balanced right to achieve the bass coming through that way. a lot of mistakes like thsi are gain staging related as well as sound design. may want to look at your overall mixdown too. without an example of your own track it's a bit hard to give a proper suggestion tbh
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
tokian
Analog Lurker
tokian will become famous soon enoughtokian will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

thanks for the reply.

i use headphones mostly due to the fact that my room is not treated but i can understand the way the bass sound through my monitors.

as for the melodies. the problem is not with the composition of the melody , is that the melody of the bass get lost . its sounds muddy and lose its "musical feel" . in other words at the end of the mix i can only hear the "vibrations" of the bass and not its actual sound Also i admit that i dont know much about gain staging . Plus ive tried to use more than just one sound for the bass but the resaults are most of the time to lose bass power (becuase of the phase) and get an unbalanced mix.for example when i layer a bass sound with another bass sound . Obviously there would be peak points in the frequency spectrum that will "sit" on each other. the only thing i can imagine to eliminate this is to cut the peak frequency of the one sound and leave the other. I've done that and the resaults weren't as expected ;p Is that a good mixing method to use for the low? thanks
tokian is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
MothSound
Radial Developer
MothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud ofMothSound has much to be proud of
Oxford
MC Status: 1210

"2. complex basslines never fit in the track"

From my limited experience, if you're using a more complex sound design for your bass, you need to comprimise elsewhere in your mix to fix it in. If you want a thick bassline to fit in the mix nice and clear you need to thin out your melody. You need to decide which part of the track is going to carry the main melody and then give it plenty of room in the mix. You either have a thin basic bass and a thick complex melody, the other way around. You can't have both.

------------------
He lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived
MothSound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Rakka Nova
Banned
Rakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant futureRakka Nova has a brilliant future
Queen Joker Trickster
MC Status: 1510

make a sample of each note.

on every unique note play around with EQ and make it into a more defined sound.

Also release and length of notes is crucial as well as slight variance in timing.

Basically work with each individual hit making it sound its best.

Compare as you go to keep it coherent.

You can use this as one layer of your bass and make more if you like more minimal layers.

Don't forget to compress properly.

just having 2-3 layers doing slightly different things from the same source can add a lot of spice to the sound.

Also you can try boosting source one octave and carefully layer this with original, adjust lengths and release properly.

Advertisements

Rakka Nova is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote