Beat Battle - Arena 51 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 07-03-2017, 06:19 PM   #21
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts
Re: Beat Battle - Arena 51

OK so it's basically going to be a beat and filter-swept drones. Wait is that 90% of electronic music

Advertisements

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
brb (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #22
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887369

Sounds good to me.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #23
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands
MC Status: 9110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
OK so it's basically going to be a beat and filter-swept drones. Wait is that 90% of electronic music
What's the other 10% again... Just the filter swept drones with no beat right? :problemofficer:

------------------
Soundcloud|You Tube|How Do Music|Broken Beats (D&B Comp)|BB64
JOIN LE CHAT: >How Do Music< >IDMf<WARNING! DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #24
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuralsphere View Post
Still in progress, started on 172 (which is working out better than my 140 attempt I think)...

---

Awesome Thomas, ticked all the boxes. Boss wave at 1:15 really like the breaks, the bass you added and the contrast between sections. It's catchy in an eerie/alien way - Nice work
Nice work, right over. And thanks

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #25
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Popped in to see how it's all going. Got some inspiration from the two demo subs.

Im hitting the 172 on this one...and loving it!

Just to be clear 1 instrumental plugins means only 1 sound from that plugin or 1 plugin using several sounds

Difficult to make the rules without interpretation and dissection isn't it
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, been away landscaping with no internet and must have missed this post somehow. You can make an instrument, and can macro within it and apply fx to it. All the more power to you if you can make an instrument that can morph indefinitely. Just share the magic after

------------------

Old 09-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #26
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

So... a single multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument is right out then?

------------------
Old 09-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
So... a single multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument is right out then?
Sorry, bit confused by the right out bit so I'll be as detailed on this as possible...

It's perfectly acceptable to have a multi-voice/multi-timbre instrument, just so long as its all contained within one patch on the plugin. Extra modulation is acceptable with layering effects... BUT - it has to sound alien.

That means (for example) morphing from a pad sound to a lead synth, so long as both of them sound a bit weird and warped... just do your best that's all anyone can really ask

N.B. Cloning the instrument is not acceptable i.e. having 2 instances of the same patch running the different timbres at the same time is cheating. However, feel free to make as many instruments off the sample pack as you like. Also, you may make an instrument... It's not mandatory

Hope this clears up my lack of explanation on the rule earlier. Hope this hasn't messed up anyone's workflow...

------------------

Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #28
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837677

I was thinking about using bliss and see what I concoct out of a vst instrument stack into it
Actually stuggling on this one. That bass sample is nasty, although once micro'd down to one simple waveform of the whole theres something useful

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #29
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
I was thinking about using bliss and see what I concoct out of a vst instrument stack into it
Actually stuggling on this one. That bass sample is nasty, although once micro'd down to one simple waveform of the whole theres something useful
Never used bliss, or heard of it until you said. What does it allow you to do? I've been toying with buying Razor from NI... I have enough money for it now, but I'm playing it safe until next weeks pay (though that doesn't help with the current battle )

Yeah the Huge Synth sample is obscene to say the least, I chopped it up too then looped on itself to try clean it up before using it as an instrument (I don't think it made much difference tbh)... I've updated version up of the 172 track I posted before (minor mods to lead - put some swing on the beat - some weird warped outro that doesn't quite fit yet... but I like it anyway lol), just struggling to find the time to sit down and finish it - I haven't even got round to creating an instrument for this one from scratch... Here I was thinking of getting 3 subs done... ha...

bleh
Updated

------------------

Old 11-03-2017, 04:15 PM   #30
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

DSP Bliss is by George who does Discovery and more. Basically a vst sampler and auto scales not got my head into it entirely but worth checking out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #31
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

Hey guys, as I have been focusing on work and keeping my children from killing each other for the past week I have only put three samples together into a project and looped them so far....so I am going to have to bow out of this as I will not be able to do anything worthwhile by Tuesday. Will vote for sure. Happy mixing!

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Creepr
Neuralsphere (14-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #32
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Same here lads been causing mayhem at school (only 4). BUt I have managed to get something loopable with a reasonable beat etc...so will get something in even if its just 51 seconds long

------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 PM   #33
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

I'm nearing completion on mine. I felt like it started strong but I was never able to do as much as I wanted with it, so it kind of loops for 2.5-3 minutes. It's a damn nice loop, but it just fails to do much imo. I think (and this is just my guess because it's my first time trying to do hip hop) that the lack of vocals is a big limitation, but I really don't want to try to rap for the first time in my life and record that for all to hear on my USB Rockband mic either.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #34
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Right got something laid down, some fine tuning tomorrow night and Tuesday night polish the turd.

Struggled on this one, started really positive but time and life has been my nemesis this time round.

Looking forward to the subs though

------------------
Old 13-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #35
brb
Commie SJW

Struggling with melody on mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I'm nearing completion on mine. I felt like it started strong but I was never able to do as much as I wanted with it, so it kind of loops for 2.5-3 minutes. It's a damn nice loop, but it just fails to do much imo. I think (and this is just my guess because it's my first time trying to do hip hop) that the lack of vocals is a big limitation, but I really don't want to try to rap for the first time in my life and record that for all to hear on my USB Rockband mic either.
It might be a bit late to suggest this, but you could work to a rap acapella to form a structure and variation guide, then remove the vocals when you're done.

------------------
Thanks to brb
White Noise (13-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #36
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
It might be a bit late to suggest this, but you could work to a rap acapella to form a structure and variation guide, then remove the vocals when you're done.
I won't have time to do this for my sub, but I may re-work it for a release just to try that workflow. Thanks for the suggestion.

------------------

Old 13-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #37
Neuralsphere
Knob Twiddler
Midlands

This my final submission, don't have anymore time to fiddle with it before I get back from work tomorrow.

It's 172 BPM Dirty DnB It doesn't contain an external plugin instrument, I have just reworked the samples in the pack with fx plugins.

(was going to resample the bassline as my plugin instrument but CBF not enough time - may come back to it in the future when I get more fluid with it)

Anyway hope you enjoy it regardless of the insanity.

------------------

Thanks to Neuralsphere
brb (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 05:38 AM   #38
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

Here's mine, 95 BPM, my one instrument is a Hive preset that comes in around the 2 min mark, first as stabs, then as the melody. I just open up a pair of filters, nothing too fancy.

------------------

Old 14-03-2017, 04:07 PM   #39
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Personally this was a rollercoaster of a beat battle to get a track done. Started of with some weekends beats in Maschine and all going well. Then to find and fit in the other sounds with a bass, lead, melody and other sounds. Sod to work with. Didn't touch it for about 5 days and then came back to it Sunday thinking I might just submit the beats.
The organ stuck out, the bass sample I could not get in tune or to fit so ended up editing it down to a few of the waveforms and tuned with some rbass and slate digital VMR to get a nice sound. Then Sunday eve hit a melody and chord. Went digging into Divas sounds and came up with the lead sound which bonded well with the synth sample in the pack.
The extra sound is from Diva (the carousel style sound that I have tried to make as alien as I could).
A few glitches on the beats as a finishing touch and mixdown.
Hope it works. Bit more poppy than IDM but it fits the 172BPM with I like to think an alien abduction movie soundtrack. Still rough round the edges, times a struggle at the moment and will probably revisit it post BB to rework as Im currently doing with some others.

Loving the latter part of your sub with those breakdowns and bass rips. Nice!
I can her where you mind was at in producing this one, the title packages it nicely.
You are a git. Amazing work mate!

Last edited by MFXxx; 14-03-2017 at 10:12 PM..

------------------
Old 14-03-2017, 10:48 PM   #40
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

hai sup, what the hell is going on here :problemofficer:

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote