Beat Battle 30
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 09-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
BRizZle
Minor Glitch
BRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the rough
Chicago
MC Status: 310
Beat Battle 30

"THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES

Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday. Submissions close and votes open at 23:59 on the 11th day (tuesday). Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day (thursday). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (friday) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

All times are UTC."

Sorry for being late with this everyone, I ran out of time so the samples are rushed and there aren't too many, so I'll compensate for that in the additional rules.

Samples:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Additional Rules:

1. Use a sample from a popular song that you think most people would know. It could be a classic, or a new pop song that's out now. Doesn't HAVE to be lyrics either!
2. You must use a piano as one of the main instruments for the song.
3. You can use any VST you want, but all notes have be staccato. In other words, all of your instruments must have a short release time (this rule doesn't apply to rule #2). However, you're required to use at least two of the samples provided.

Just made up these rules on the fly but I think we're gonna get some interesting results once again I apologize for making this so late and rushed, but I think the rules should be specific enough to make up for the lack of samples provided! Deadline for submissions is April 26

Advertisements

BRizZle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834577
Re: Beat Battle 30

An we're up...could be interesting.

Understand the additional rules. Hopefully more on board for this round
MFXxx is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Rule 1 could be interesting for soundcloud posters! copyright n all, but I guess we'll se how this one turns out and if anyone on the boards have concerns or objections. I say let it roll...
Rule 2 I like, hopefully some inventive and abstract approaches expected.
Rule 3 Needs tweaking. 1 vst for 1 part I think otherwise I feel it's going outside the realms of the BB if that makes sense.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:42 AM   #4
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7210

hmm in this situation i'd either make the sample unrecognizable or go for straight up remix. I guess I'l do the latter.

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:02 AM   #5
BRizZle
Minor Glitch
BRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the roughBRizZle is a jewel in the rough
Chicago

Go ahead and tweak the rules I apologize for any complications! I'll Let MFX decide the official changes. Sorry it's been a hectic week and I'm still a noob with this!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #6
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7210

im cool to just go piano vst+1 short release vst+ song sample+ sample pack.

there's no telling how far with the vox im gonna go tho, once i go through phase inverting it all.

------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

With the recent bb climate let's roll with it. Be fun. Make some music. ..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

FYI, samples taken from the 60s/70s and sometimes 80s, have no copyright, either because the publishers never imposed the rule because the dub era of resampling everything or because the copyrights act for the track have passed their expiration date. You can look it up, each country has a different expiration date.

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #9
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

OK Im done.

It's more of a reprise, wanted to keep it short (last entry was way too long at 9 mins). 6am the morning after a quality night out, dragging the now flaunted spirits of a great night along the pavement of the street.

I wanted to keep this nice and simple. 1 Bass line. 2 piano lines (all me). Sample, Ill let you guess what track thats from. Used all but one sample from the pack, edited, effected and so on. Thought I'd test out a few reverbs, so a lot going on in the mix in that sense and had some fun with automating sends and effects.

Not to sure if my piano skills aand technique equates to staccato, which was rule 3 but it's close, guess an adagio staccato or whatever term musically best fits...wanted to use this accapella for a long time so thought it fitted well here. If it was outsidet he beat battle, halw way through I can feel it going into some nice drum and bass beats carrying the bass...maybe another time.

Last edited by MFXxx; 10-04-2016 at 10:33 PM..
Thanks to MFXxx
BRizZle (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #10
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59127276

I keep coming up with lame excuses not to participate

hopefully ill be out of the hospital next week, been here 10 days now
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
mnkvolcno (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #11
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Dude etf. Serious extremes just to avoid a BB sub...wtf happened Mr Drama Queen looks bad.

------------------
Old 11-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #12
BRizZle
Minor Glitch
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
OK Im done.

It's more of a reprise, wanted to keep it short (last entry was way too long at 9 mins). 6am the morning after a quality night out, dragging the now flaunted spirits of a great night along the pavement of the street.

I wanted to keep this nice and simple. 1 Bass line. 2 piano lines (all me). Sample, Ill let you guess what track thats from. Used all but one sample from the pack, edited, effected and so on. Thought I'd test out a few reverbs, so a lot going on in the mix in that sense and had some fun with automating sends and effects.

Not to sure if my piano skills aand technique equates to staccato, which was rule 3 but it's close, guess an adagio staccato or whatever term musically best fits...wanted to use this accapella for a long time so thought it fitted well here. If it was outsidet he beat battle, halw way through I can feel it going into some nice drum and bass beats carrying the bass...maybe another time.
Dude this was awesome!!! Good job

Also what piano are you using?? Really pretty sound
Old 11-04-2016, 02:30 AM   #13
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Quick question about rule 1 btw... I can't make music if I'm not inspired by it in some way, and the whole thing about it being from something everyone would know is causing me some issues because the tracks that are inspiring me are pretty old...

I want to use A New Machine from Pink Floyd and make a piano/space track...

P.S. can I use the piano as a pad? Just so that I have something pady for all that steccato synthwork?

P.P.S. Also the resampling doesn't have to be Steccato right? Because I want to use the vocals to make pads as well

------------------
Mizuchi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #14
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRizZle View Post
Dude this was awesome!!! Good job

Also what piano are you using?? Really pretty sound
Ironically Alicia Keys from NI along with the New York grand and some 2CAudio reverb Thanks btw.

------------------
Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 AM   #15
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59127276

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Dude etf. Serious extremes just to avoid a BB sub...wtf happened Mr Drama Queen looks bad.
fell off a horse at full gallop...
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lebeux
MFXxx (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #16
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
fell off a horse at full gallop...
Ah horses. Mad creatures that people choose to trust. Hope its not too painful. What's the damage?

------------------
Old 11-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
BRizZle
Minor Glitch
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
Quick question about rule 1 btw... I can't make music if I'm not inspired by it in some way, and the whole thing about it being from something everyone would know is causing me some issues because the tracks that are inspiring me are pretty old...

I want to use A New Machine from Pink Floyd and make a piano/space track...

P.S. can I use the piano as a pad? Just so that I have something pady for all that steccato synthwork?

P.P.S. Also the resampling doesn't have to be Steccato right? Because I want to use the vocals to make pads as well
im not going to be super strict about where your sample comes from, but I would prefer it be something that more people know. Even a more popular Pink Floyd song would be better, but if you're really digging this idea I suppose I'll allow it cuz I don't want to be a buzzkill xD.

as long as it still sounds like a piano and it's a major element in your song, the piano can be used for whatever you'd like!

No, I suppose it doesn't have to be staccato since that would be limiting but I was hoping that the samples would still be recognizable haha so try for that. And if this is the case, make sure to have mostly staccato elements driving your song. I feel like a space track won't be great for this but if you can pull it off feel free lol interested to see what u come up with!
Old 11-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25460

i wouldnt worry about getting in to trouble sampling. this net lable based in my town did an entire compilation that is just unathorized remixes of top 40 songs. very recognisable. its been up on bandcamp and sc for at least a year no prob.

im gonna try to do one!

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #19
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Well not going for the sympathy vote here or outdoing Lebeux. Was in hopsital yesterday and overnight (wisdom tooth removal, hate fucking general anaesthetic, came around and couldnt move my arms!!) All good now. So listened to the track last night out of myhead on what ever they gave me at 2am...got home this morning and reworked it a little, some from feedbak in the listening booth and some from my own perception.
Think I've nailed it in the mix.
Thanks for the challenge Brizzle, been wanting to find an excuse for a long time to use this ripped accapella...turned out nicely, even if I say so myself <gloat>.

Look forward to the others.

------------------
Old 14-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
surgeongeneral
Eternal Echoer
surgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MCsurgeongeneral is a savage MC
MC Status: 12446433

I'm still being lame. I might just accept that I am lame instead of pretending this is the week I'm breaking out and getting back into this thing.

I just wanted to say be careful about rule #1. When we first started the beat battle (the original FMB one) the samples for first two battles were old soul songs from the 70's. Once the mods figured out what was going on, the whole thing almost got shut down. They take that kind of thing pretty seriously on this board. I don't care personally, but I thought I'd give you guys a heads up on that.

Advertisements

------------------
surgeongeneral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote