MiniAK questions?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Zalgo
Minor Glitch
Zalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MCZalgo is a savage MC
MC Status: 92110
MiniAK questions?

I've found a good deal on an Akai Miniak synth ($189) and I would like some info before I pull the trigger.

1. It looks like it doesn't have nearly enough knobs, dials, or buttons to modify the presets from the controller itself, can you do that?

2. There's a software editor for it, (the Minizune), that allows you to edit and create presets, and store them in the Miniak. It runs as a VST, could it be used as a standalone softsynth? $33 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $190, does it just lack the sound of outboard gear, or is it simply for tweaking and editing?

3. If I'm using the Minizune software editor, since it has a Midi learn feature, could I assign the knobs of something like a NanoKontrol to various parameters, and adjust them on the fly?

4. I notice the Miniak has multiple Midi I/O ports. Would it be possible to draw Midi notes on a piano roll, and have the Miniak play them?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Zalgo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
awol9000
Microknight
awol9000 will become famous soon enoughawol9000 will become famous soon enough
Burnaby
MC Status: 140
Re: MiniAK questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalgo View Post
I've found a good deal on an Akai Miniak synth ($189) and I would like some info before I pull the trigger.

1. It looks like it doesn't have nearly enough knobs, dials, or buttons to modify the presets from the controller itself, can you do that?

2. There's a software editor for it, (the Minizune), that allows you to edit and create presets, and store them in the Miniak. It runs as a VST, could it be used as a standalone softsynth? $33 is a hell of a lot cheaper than $190, does it just lack the sound of outboard gear, or is it simply for tweaking and editing?

3. If I'm using the Minizune software editor, since it has a Midi learn feature, could I assign the knobs of something like a NanoKontrol to various parameters, and adjust them on the fly?

4. I notice the Miniak has multiple Midi I/O ports. Would it be possible to draw Midi notes on a piano roll, and have the Miniak play them?

Thanks.
1. Yes
2. It is a vst so it needs a host, it controls the Miniak, does not produce any sound by itself
3. I assume yes
4. Yes!

I played around with one last summer in store I was quite suprised with the sound, I liked it.. I love that it has 1 pitchwheel and 2 mod wheels!

------------------
awol9000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239
Re: MiniAK questions?

Hi,

1. You can control every single param with the knobs thru the menu's inside the miniak. This works fine for editing patches, but is too time consuming to build patches from scratch. Fun thing is you can assign the 3 knobs and the 2 modwheels to any param for easy live tweaking of filters, fx etc. per preset

2. I would suggest the hypersynth version of the miniak editor. Do some research on the web, but I think it works alot better.

3. Yes you can, but this is not as easy as it looks. Keep in mind that the plugin needs midi ports. Your daw needs the same ports. So if you don't have a multi-client midi-interface, you can't for instance record midi-notes in your daw from the miniak, and control the miniak with other hardware.

4. Yes!

Advertisements

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote