M-Audio Keystation or Korg microKEY?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
bulzbulz
Regular Freak
bulzbulz is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
M-Audio Keystation or Korg microKEY?

Hello, currently i'm in a dilemma on which one to pick

Does anyone have any experience with those two and which one is better?

I want to use it mainly for practicing piano and producing music

Thanks in advance and sorry if this thread is out of place

Advertisements

bulzbulz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410
Re: M-Audio Keystation or Korg microKEY?

MicroKEY is said to be very terribad. M-Audio, Oxygen and MPK Mini are probably your best options in a not-so-pricey range.

------------------
If you want to check out some of my music:

bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

If you're a piano player, save your money.
If you're just looking for something to dabble with then it wouldn't hurt to have a cheap keyboard.
I use the Akai LPK 25 sometimes, by no means is it the best but its far better than the microkey, and I got mine for the same price.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
bulzbulz
Regular Freak

Hmm, I was more looking for the 33-66 key versions of the keyboards
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzbulz View Post
Hmm, I was more looking for the 33-66 key versions of the keyboards
Sorry I was mistaking the micro key for the nano key, two completely different products.
Disregard my previous post : )

Depends what you want really... How much experience do you have playing piano?

Playing chords and stuff on a full size keyboard will be a pain if you don't have the dexterity. If you just want to mess around then go with the micro key, but if you want to start learning the basics of playing then go with the key station.
If you're an experienced piano player, the keystation will fall terribly short of your expectations for even a very, very basic keyboard though.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
bulzbulz
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
Sorry I was mistaking the micro key for the nano key, two completely different products.
Disregard my previous post : )

Depends what you want really... How much experience do you have playing piano?

Playing chords and stuff on a full size keyboard will be a pain if you don't have the dexterity. If you just want to mess around then go with the micro key, but if you want to start learning the basics of playing then go with the key station.
If you're an experienced piano player, the keystation will fall terribly short of your expectations for even a very, very basic keyboard though.
I.. don't really have any experience playing Piano, that's why I want to buy one! I want to learn music theory while practicing playing on the Piano

And thanks for the input, I'll get the Keystation

Which version should I get tho? there are 3 version, 32, 61 and 88 key version

Thanks bkwsk and statisticquill for the input!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
statisticquill
Ghostly
Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulzbulz View Post
I.. don't really have any experience playing Piano, that's why I want to buy one! I want to learn music theory while practicing playing on the Piano

And thanks for the input, I'll get the Keystation

Which version should I get tho? there are 3 version, 32, 61 and 88 key version

Thanks bkwsk and statisticquill for the input!
No bigger than 61, most of the stuff you play will probably fit within 4 octaves. Even the 32 would be fine. Chances are you're not going to need more than 32 for a while anyways, thats more than enough keys to start out on. Save a little money and buy a bigger, better, full size keyboard later on.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
bulzbulz
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
No bigger than 61, most of the stuff you play will probably fit within 4 octaves. Even the 32 would be fine. Chances are you're not going to need more than 32 for a while anyways, thats more than enough keys to start out on. Save a little money and buy a bigger, better, full size keyboard later on.
Alright that's all I needed to hear, thank you statisticquil!

Thread can be closed

Advertisements