"Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 30-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #101
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: "Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Stink View Post
I've seen so many loopers change lives.

I have a buddy who's a brilliant songwriter but can't use a computer to save his life (he's 24, I have no idea wtf is wrong with him, haha). He plateaued out on his songwriting till I let him borrow my Line 6 DL4. It ain't the most sophisticated looper, but this guy manages to record these brilliant demos on his cell phone by looping synth, bass, guitar, and drum machines through the DL4 and his Fender Twin Reverb. It really blows my mind, haha.
I started out with an Electrix Repeater. It was mind opening. Weird, that since then no company made a similar 4-track looper that can do all of the same things.

Advertisements

prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to prophonic
relic (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 02:56 AM   #102
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophonic View Post
I started out with an Electrix Repeater. It was mind opening. Weird, that since then no company made a similar 4-track looper that can do all of the same things.
I'd love one of those. Should have grabbed one up a few years ago when you could still find Electrix gear. I'd love to have a Filter Factory again for the distortion.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Val Stephen
Old 01-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #103
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I'd love one of those. Should have grabbed one up a few years ago when you could still find Electrix gear. I'd love to have a Filter Factory again for the distortion.
Filter Factory i was always curious about but i didn't know anyone who used it. Before the Repeater i had a Mo'Fx on loan and i loved the infinite delay where you could make gaps in the loop by quickly turning feedback to 0 and then back to 127.
Repeater pops up on evilbay once in a while, $800 was a lot of money and they haven't become much cheaper.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #104
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Filter Factory i was always curious about but i didn't know anyone who used it. Before the Repeater i had a Mo'Fx on loan and i loved the infinite delay where you could make gaps in the loop by quickly turning feedback to 0 and then back to 127.
Repeater pops up on evilbay once in a while, $800 was a lot of money and they haven't become much cheaper.
The actual multi mode filter couldn't be more bland. I did like to use the filter follow mode on delays though. Gave a nice dubby bubble to things. The distortion just sounded great on things with heavy transients.

------------------
Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 AM   #105
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 55360
Thanked 1,107 Times in 729 Posts

Fucking launchpad pro.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #106
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

I think that ableton live 9 and quite a few videos changed my way of making music forever, I am still trying to make more inventive and unconventional music, but it's still miles better than it was while I was using fl studio.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:55 AM   #107
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

Quote:
I was running a Gibson Echoplex, Electrix Repeater and EH 2880 at one point. Then I got the Looperalitive LP1 that did everything the others did all at the same time. It ruined me actually. Limitations force you down certain paths and a lack of limitations doesn't force you anywhere. If that makes sense.

Looping that started with tape, then EH 16 second delay, digitech pds all forced you into things because there was no time, often impossible to be rhythmic. The current crop of shit is almost exclusively geared at assholes that want to loop a 12 bar blues. There's no linear movement which to me is what actually makes it interesting. Watching someone build to oblivion is not what I ever want to see. Unfortunately the market for interesting looping is probably as big as the membership on a David Torn forum.

This is the beautifully strange dude that invented the Echoplex Digital Pro. Originally manufactured by Oberheim and Gibson did it briefly as they ran Oberheim into their everlasting bondfire of acquisitions.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by envelope3; 03-05-2017 at 05:17 AM..
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #108
prophonic
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
I was running a Gibson Echoplex, Electrix Repeater and EH 2880 at one point. Then I got the Looperalitive LP1 that did everything the others did all at the same time. It ruined me actually. Limitations force you down certain paths and a lack of limitations doesn't force you anywhere. If that makes sense.
Wow you must have been pretty serious about looping. Limitations are a great, i get that. Either they make you skip the unneccessary crap or you'll find a creative workaround if something is so important to you.
I saw Terry Bozzio once at a workshop performance and he said the best gig he had in a while was when somebody fucked up and half of his setup had the wrong stands with cymbals / gongs in a weird height or weird position and there was no time to fix that.
So he was forced to play in a way he wasn't used to, forced him to think differently and that must have turned out great.

Quote:
Unfortunately the market for interesting looping is probably as big as the membership on a David Torn forum.
Haha, that's a great line, unfortunately very true.
Thanks to prophonic
envelope3 (10-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #109
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

Maschine got me into learning how to make good drum sounds, but I hate everything about its sequencer. It did really teach me how to layer and create full drums out of samples.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 01:15 AM   #110
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 610

Getting Komplete 9 was definitely a defining point for my descent into electronic music. Use so many of the synths (or, mostly, loads of instances of Massive) as well as the other plugins when mixing.

------------------
Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #111
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

Honestly I'd have to say my JBL LSR 305s. They were my first pair of monitors and they were definiitely a game changer in terms of the way I started approaching mixing.
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #112
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Currenly the Arturia Drumbrute is opening up countless options in terms of building tracks around percussion. I have spent the last week literally using it as a standalone. Its gonna keep me busy for a while indeed.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #113
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas

Sub 37 began my gear lust and my exploration of synth sounds

------------------
Old 06-06-2017, 11:15 PM   #114
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Sub 37 began my gear lust and my exploration of synth sounds
Oh damn and it looks hot off the sexiest too. I mean, I can't help but fap at the visualization of that teamed up with two Mother32 modules, MS-20 mini, DB and a neat little eurorack set up just to make things even more interesting.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: DigitalA - Headset of Hate
Old 06-06-2017, 11:24 PM   #115
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
Oh damn and it looks hot off the sexiest too. I mean, I can't help but fap at the visualization of that teamed up with two Mother32 modules, MS-20 mini, DB and a neat little eurorack set up just to make things even more interesting.
I haven ever owned any other modules besides the mother 32, but I used it along side mym atrix brute and full ms-20, and got a cool sound from it. Here is an example of a sequence using the korg sq to sequence ms-20 and sub 37.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 07-06-2017, 02:35 AM   #116
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110

Grooveboxes! Started with software. The about a year and a half ago, I bought an Electribe 2. But what really changed things for me, was picking up an old Yamaha RM1x. The sounds are a bit dated, but so am I. As a sequencer for composition though, it kicks the shit out of the Electribe. The Electribe is great to compose on the fly and is portable, but 4 bars max, and if you want odd time signatures, even less. Plus everything put on the grid. The RM1x with 16 parts, each with 16 tracks per pattern, plus the ability to have different time signatures in the same pattern, and no quantizing, unless you want it, allowing you to put things exactly where you want and 264 bars per pattern, as a hardware sequencer, for the price you can pick them up for is awsome.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dr. Sleaze
relic (13-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #117
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

Gonna have to say the MS20 for sound design options. It forces me to think outside the box a bit in a weird way. I love that damn synth so much. I cant wait to get a small eurorack so I can start fm'ing some oscillators.

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM   #118
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 3060

Just a simple synthisizer completely changed my music. Finally I was able to play, to test, to try out, PC off? No problem, play that piano..

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:13 PM   #119
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalzone2000 View Post
Gonna have to say the MS20 for sound design options. It forces me to think outside the box a bit in a weird way. I love that damn synth so much. I cant wait to get a small eurorack so I can start fm'ing some oscillators.
The ms is a grand synth red dragon

------------------
Old 13-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #120
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
Grooveboxes! Started with software. The about a year and a half ago, I bought an Electribe 2. But what really changed things for me, was picking up an old Yamaha RM1x. The sounds are a bit dated, but so am I. As a sequencer for composition though, it kicks the shit out of the Electribe. The Electribe is great to compose on the fly and is portable, but 4 bars max, and if you want odd time signatures, even less. Plus everything put on the grid. The RM1x with 16 parts, each with 16 tracks per pattern, plus the ability to have different time signatures in the same pattern, and no quantizing, unless you want it, allowing you to put things exactly where you want and 264 bars per pattern, as a hardware sequencer, for the price you can pick them up for is awsome.
If you are making hip hop, dance or anything adjacent you really can't beat a good groovebox : ) The Electribe ESX started it all for me...

Advertisements

------------------