"Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 27-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #81
thatepicone
Learning The Ropes
thatepicone will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: "Defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

I started out on guitar, so most game changing gear would have been Boss rc-2 loop station. This introduced me to loop based composition which is the basis of everything I do now. I've since upgraded to the rc-300 and run guitar, hardware synths/samplers/drum machines through it instead of software looping.

Advertisements

thatepicone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Val Stephen
Thanks to thatepicone
aikighost (09-03-2016)
Old 29-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #82
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5810

probably my Yamaha QY-70. Before that everything kinda felt like work...sitting at a computer for hours hating the workflow of any daw. The only alternative being recording on the 6 track sequencer on my Yamaha DJX. But with the 70 I can go anywhere and work on stuff. I don't have to be chained to a computer desk. I'm more productive now and I actually enjoy making music.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #83
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX
MC Status: 10

My biggest improvement for me so far has been getting Yamaha HS monitors.
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #84
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisENIGMA View Post
My biggest improvement for me so far has been getting Yamaha HS monitors.
Agreed, it's not any synth or anything but getting the hs5's has been great, easier for long periods of time on the are than headphones and they sound better as well!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #85
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Ableton Push changed my workflow entirely

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #86
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860
Re: "defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
It wasn't my first piece of hardware but the ESX (Electribe Sampler) totally changed how I made music.
Relic, I was wondering if you had any tracks or videos you made on the ESX? I would definitely love to see/hear them! Feeling a little neglectful of my ES1.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #87
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20710

does my intel 6 core and 64 gigs ram pc count because that.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
relic (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #88
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts
Re: "defining gear" - gear that changed your way of making music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
Relic, I was wondering if you had any tracks or videos you made on the ESX? I would definitely love to see/hear them! Feeling a little neglectful of my ES1.
Oh lord. Yes. Somewhere. I know there is an ESX video and I know I still have tracks, I'd just have to find them.

Pretty sure this is the only video I have of me using the ESX. It isn't all that is going on here. The ESX is being used mostly for drums I think, as that was my usual way of working.

I remember now, the ESX is doing that bell like, delayed percussion.

Last edited by relic; 11-03-2016 at 10:24 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Stich (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #89
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Thanks, Relic. I really just need to record some live tweaking of mine to get out of the dead end of just creating loop after loop.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #90
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

I had an ES1 for a minute. It was a capable little machine. I really feel like if you pushed it you could easily get a whole song out of it. I don't know what your budget might be like but the new ES2 is pretty wicked. I'm kind of just using mine as a rack sampler/basic synth right now, but it has some interesting tricks up its sleeve.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #91
riatsumusic
Learning The Ropes
riatsumusic is currently spamming hard
Mumbai

For me the beyrdynamic DT990 Pro has been really amazing for creating electronic music. They are also great for using for longer times and do not give too much ear fatigue.
riatsumusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #92
hrdkrpnk
Regular Freak
hrdkrpnk is currently spamming hard

strymon deco, especially on the drums (nord drum 2). more saturation on kicks and snares and not so much on other percussive sounds.
hrdkrpnk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #93
Digital Addicte
Analog Lurker
Digital Addicte is a glorious beacon of lightDigital Addicte is a glorious beacon of lightDigital Addicte is a glorious beacon of lightDigital Addicte is a glorious beacon of lightDigital Addicte is a glorious beacon of light
Lahnstein / Rheinland Pfalz
MC Status: 460

A slow Ass 1,2ghz Athlon , Mouse , Keyboard and FL 6 "from a Friend" :mayonesa: GEAR?! Tzzz, I was po... I couldn“t afford the "o.r." Today is another Story.
Digital Addicte is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: DigitalA - Headset of Hate
Old 30-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #94
lrn5043
Regular Freak
lrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the roughlrn5043 is a jewel in the rough
State College, PA
MC Status: 310

I mean...for the vast majority of us, I assume, the computer has been the one instrument that has changed the way we make music the most. Seriously, the possibilities with DAWs are almost endless.
lrn5043 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #95
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38947

I don't like daws, I like modulars and random gear,even mixer feedback is more interesting, can't make generic techno with that... well I guess you can do almost anything with almost anything.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #96
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Hi McToast :bye:
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:55 PM   #97
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20810

my new novation launchpad mini, portable, easy to use, and very well built, makes it easier for my boring ass live stuff at my friends houses.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 11:04 AM   #98
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

First game changer was Ableton + Push combo. really intuitive and simple although even too simple.

Octatrack was second and more important game changer, when I finally learned and mastered it (the proccess seems never ending tho) it changed the way I make music and think about music. My thinking has become more and more elektron, when I picture sounds and structures in my head I now picture them in the language of octatrack not anymore in the language of Ableton (which I mainly use only for recording to computer).
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 06:27 AM   #99
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MCenvelope3 is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 10610

Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro

changed my life. Forced me into feedback based looping. Most amazing instrument ever and still stands at the top imo because of the limitations and the direction it forces you in.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #100
Saint_Stink
Regular Freak
Saint_Stink is currently spamming hard
Vienna, Austria

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro

changed my life. Forced me into feedback based looping. Most amazing instrument ever and still stands at the top imo because of the limitations and the direction it forces you in.
I've seen so many loopers change lives.

I have a buddy who's a brilliant songwriter but can't use a computer to save his life (he's 24, I have no idea wtf is wrong with him, haha). He plateaued out on his songwriting till I let him borrow my Line 6 DL4. It ain't the most sophisticated looper, but this guy manages to record these brilliant demos on his cell phone by looping synth, bass, guitar, and drum machines through the DL4 and his Fender Twin Reverb. It really blows my mind, haha.

Advertisements

Saint_Stink is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote