The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 05-12-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
No Theory
Regular Freak
No Theory will become famous soon enough
atlanta
MC Status: 60
The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Well let's kick this off. I used pc for any and everything before I started music, then got into DJing and found that windows 8/windows 10 was so unreliable, not to mention fiddling with drivers everytime I got new gear. No I have been using Ableton and Traktor Pro 2 on mac for a year and no complaints thus far. Is Mac simply made better for music?

Advertisements

No Theory is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/notheorymusic/dash
Old 05-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514130
Thanked 6,464 Times in 4,619 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

From XP to Windows 10 I have had very few issues with any of my gear and drivers, even running mixed 32 and 64 bit software. The worst issues I had was recovering from a dead HD and the biggest issue was me forgetting to install a little bit of graphic support software.

FWIW, I've seen lots of complaints from Mac users about various kinds of drivers not working and these days you've got less options in Mac OS to dig in and change settings to get things to work. I DJ'd on windows plenty during the early days of controllers and the like and I never once had anything crash on me during a set.

I think the real problem is most people won't invest in a music computer ontop of their personal computer--and that goes for whether you are running Mac or Windows IMO.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94900
Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,247 Posts

Think it's one of those, go with whatever you like things. It used to matter more if you wanted to use a specific DAW, but now, unless you are really attached to Logic - either works well for quite a few people.

------------------

^^Everyone is welcome to join in on the latest compilation! *click above*^^
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 01:03 AM   #4
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23710

I have a Windows based desktop and a Macbook laptop and they're mostly the same. Different but equal headaches, nothing insurmountable.

With regards to hardware it mostly has to do with how much time and money the manufacturers spend on driver support and almost nothing to do with OS.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #5
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

i wished Atari would resurrect and come back with a new computer, just for music
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2710

I have a desktop pc and 2 laptops all running windows 10. I have encountered only one problem with my desktop - it goes to update and restart and after a couple times, it says "cannot complete updates" and takes time to go back. It's annoying. I've researched it a little, but have not had the desire to try and fix it yet.

My desktop is for everything and producing.

One laptop is strictly for mixing at home.

The other is strictly for playing out.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Know Your Enemy - Rage against the machine
Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23410

Windows is probably shit in comparison (and all of my PC's & laptop are shit to begin with), but I've grown really used to it. I don't even get mad anymore when my DAW crashes incessantly, updates don't allow me to use my PC, etc.

Anyone who says PC's are better are bullshitting themselves, but you get used to buggy drivers and all of the quirks.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Jaded (05-25-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

On the other hand thinking a Mac is a magical solution to never having a driver issue or another problem isblike believing youll never need a mechanic just because you bought a BMW instead of a Ford.

------------------
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23410

Maybe Mac people are lying to me. I've never touched one and I refuse to

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
jimmusician (05-26-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Maybe Mac people are lying to me. I've never touched one and I refuse to
I'm not sure it is an issue any longer, but I had a buddy who made a mint from replacing burnt out mother boards on MBPs for some years. I see plenty of bitching about driver issues around the internet with Mac.

Another issue, which you spoke to ("all my PCs were shitty to begin with"), is that there are tons of manufactures making crappy Windows machines with sub par parts. Only Apple are making Apple products. I almost exclusively only trust ASUS for PC these days. Or the Dell corporate line (not a Dell from BestBuy).

Windows is also a bit like Android in that you really don't know what is going on under the hood with bloatware and what not. OSX is OSX.

I've been running my Windows system in my studio since 2010. I've hardly had a any problems until a HD failed on me recently.

I just don't think it is as simple as "Apple is better". Though the conventional wisdom does seem to be "if you don't want to dick with maintaining a computer for music, go Apple". But I've seen plenty of Apple rigs go down in the middle of a set. I'd rather spend $1,500 on two good Windows laptops. One for music, one for personal/business. If you strip out the bloatware and only get on the internet to update a Windows machine should be fine. I wouldn't trust one Apple laptop to do both jobs either. I don't know really, all my evidence is anecdotal.

My feeling at the end of the day is that for the reasons listed above, yea, Apple is probably objectively still better by some margin. But not enough for me to consider spending 2k on a laptop.

------------------
Old 05-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23710

The only reason I have a MBP instead of a Windows laptop is because OSX is pretty baller for system management - native Mac, Windows in VMs and native/built in Linux/Bash shell. As Macs have become more pervasive in the end-user segment it's easier to have native management options. OSX doesn't virtualize worth a shit. It just does everything as far as work goes and I'm not going to rely on a Hackintosh in an enterprise environment.

As far as hardware reliability, I'd put Mac's laptops up there with business class Dells, HPs and Lenovos. We have ~25k Macbooks deployed right now and RMA/ticket/hardware issues are the lowest of any portables, just slightly better than HP. But that just makes Macs statically better and that only really matters when dealing with them in large numbers. The fact is that the chances of something hardware related going wrong with a Macbook are pretty much the same as anything else. Total luck of the draw.

And none of that has anything to do with making music. Those people are all designing and selling and buying and whatnot - mostly Office 365 and web portal alongside proprietary software. I'll reiterate what I said before: there's not much difference, use what you want. It mostly comes down to drivers, and that's on the audio manufacturer, not the OS. If you use an RME interface I can pretty well guarantee you're going to have a good experience on whatever hardware because they're driver support is top notch. The opposite for the cheap stuff.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159210
Thanked 3,184 Times in 2,380 Posts

Yeah to the bit about RME..had their HammerfallDSP9632 installed on my current studio PC when it was built and I've never looked back..great interface, though perhaps a little "behind the times" now..but still rocks like it did when I first got it.

Tbh, the whole Mac Vs PC thing is more than a little thin..I think it's come to a place now where specs don't really matter a damn, as fans on both sides will shout shit at the other side and tell you their computer is better. In reality there isn't all that much between the two, as has been said already a number of times.

You've also got to keep in mind Apple are trying to sell you a way of life..an image you buy into and support at all costs..one that is over-priced and thin on real innovation..that is, if you discount their regular "esthetic" updates / upgrades to their iPhones and iPods. Seriously, when was the last great innovative launch..from either camp? And I'm aware of the recent "war" over the new Win Surface thing..but that's not what I mean by innovative..I'm taking about something really NEW. A phone is a phone and a laptop in a laptop..all the rest is hype and flash marketing to justify the price tag to the uninitiated or average consumer.

We live in an age where bullshit and image rule our minds, our lives..as well as our politics, it would seem..an era where a phone becomes something more..enabling you to do time-wasting shite you never did before..soon to stop doing in the future once the novelty of newness has worn off. But that's the exact point at which they hit you with the upgrade / update..with all the same stuff as before..but only "better/new/shiny". And on and on it goes..

Sorry if I come across as ranting..I'm not..really. I'm just a little tired of all the debate about something that isn't even all that important.

LSS..if you're in the market for a studio computer..build your own..or get somebody else to build one to your own specs. If you want one for anything else, then go with the one that fits your needs best, regardless of the make..just as long as it works and performs as promised. Basically, do your own research and don't just believe what you read in online or offline stores..

..or forums even, for that matter.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Building a desktop PC is stupidly easy. Seriously. The first time around you'll want to buy some things like anti-static gloves and maybe a grounded work pad thingy.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1527627
Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,159 Posts

MBP myself for both my personal projects and client projects. I've had nothing but positive experiences with both MOTU and RME (i own a few MOTU interfaces and a FireFace UCX).

I think with the right configuration and interface either will do you just fine.

Currently I'm running a tank of a PC laptop (6 cores, 4 SSD's) for video via Resolume Arena, it receives timecode via a Fireface UCX, and has 1 HDMI and 2 Display Port outs, the thing is a beast and (knock on wood) bulletproof. At my last gig we ran 2 20k Barco projectors and 2 14k Christie projectors off of it and it hung in there like a champ providing 3 1920x1080 video outs.

Last edited by chasedobson; 05-16-2017 at 08:49 PM..

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
nervewar
Regular Freak
nervewar has a spectacular aura aboutnervewar has a spectacular aura aboutnervewar has a spectacular aura about
Kansas City, MO
MC Status: 210

After being a strict Mac user for 15+ years, I switched to Windows last year and haven't looked back. My main reason being I wanted a beefy new machine, but I didn't want to have to sell off any body parts to afford one. I haven't experienced any problems so far (*knock on wood*) and it's actually opened up a whole world of toys to play with, considering a lot of the free VSTs out there are PC only

Overall I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just depends on your needs+preferences.
nervewar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to nervewar
A.M (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
MBP myself for both my personal projects and client projects. I've had nothing but positive experiences with both MOTU and RME (i own a few MOTU interfaces and a FireFace UCX).

I think with the right configuration and interface either will do you just fine.

Currently I'm running a tank of a PC laptop (6 cores, 4 SSD's) for video via Resolume Arena, it receives timecode via a Fireface UCX, and has 1 HDMI and 2 Display Port outs, the thing is a beast and (knock on wood) bulletproof. At my last gig we ran 2 20k Barco projectors and 2 14k Christie projectors off of it and it hung in there like a champ providing 3 1920x1080 video outs.
what gpu are you running and its all about m.2 drives now.
My pc is 6 cores to overclocked (which is another reason ill never go mac ive always built my own system with custom cooling) 6900k at 4.5ghz with 4ssds 2 m.2 pcie ssds and64 gigs ddr4 ram and currant ally a gtx 1080ti the brand new asus strix oc version because it goes with my motherboard ram and cooling for rgb customization, via asus aura rgb software. ( wanting to add a second one soon)thats my main rig my second rig consists of a core i7 6700k at 4.8ghz gtx 1070 2 ssds and a pcie ssd for boot and 16 gigs ram. Oh and and my laptop is a bit of a beast to full fledged 6700k 16 gigs ram and a gtx 980.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #17
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
what gpu are you running and its all about m.2 drives now.
My pc is 6 cores to overclocked (which is another reason ill never go mac ive always built my own system with custom cooling) 6900k at 4.5ghz with 4ssds 2 m.2 pcie ssds and64 gigs ddr4 ram and currant ally a gtx 1080ti the brand new asus strix oc version because it goes with my motherboard ram and cooling for rgb customization, via asus aura rgb software. ( wanting to add a second one soon)thats my main rig my second rig consists of a core i7 6700k at 4.8ghz gtx 1070 2 ssds and a pcie ssd for boot and 16 gigs ram. Oh and and my laptop is a bit of a beast to full fledged 6700k 16 gigs ram and a gtx 980.

All that power and speed..who could have known porn would be so demanding?

------------------
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #18
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17060

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
All that power and speed..who could have known porn would be so demanding?
4k or nothing for me plus youknow oculus porn is now a thing
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 10:51 PM   #19
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
4k or nothing for me plus youknow oculus porn is now a thing
Yeah..forgot about the oculus. Man, the days of a bottle of lube and a box of Kleenex seem but a distant memory these days.

------------------
Old 05-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..forgot about the oculus. Man, the days of a bottle of lube and a box of Kleenex seem but a distant memory these days.
What with blow job machines and sexbots being an actual thing...yea... LOL...

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (05-17-2017)