Giving Tech House tracks a dark tone
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Kayo_2004
Regular Freak
Kayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310
Giving Tech House tracks a dark tone

Hi all,

I've been listening to some tech house tracks that have been released recently and am wondering how to achieve that dark tone that you hear in a lot of these tracks. For example, two that I think have that dark tone are "Sending Love" by Tuff London and "The Golden Boy" by Egyptian Lover (Latmun remix). I compared my recent one to some of the ones out there and it definitely is too "bright" and sharp compared to these other tracks. How do you achieve that dark tone in a tech house track but still retain a clear crisp sound? I tried adjusting a low pass filter on some of my instruments but it just sounds muddled. Is it just a matter of adjusting distortion on instruments and then pulling out the highs? If so how do you keep it sounding clear and crisp? Thanks for all your replies.

Advertisements

Kayo_2004 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Mpumi
Old 10-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 99300
Thanked 1,960 Times in 1,297 Posts
Re: Giving Tech House tracks a dark tone

Detuning and minor 7ths?

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236429

Have the high-frequency instruments play less often. Maybe in half-time. This gives the high frequencies some "breathing room" and allows people to hear more of reverb tails etc. Also 7ths and other fancy chords. When it comes to sound design, use square/triangle waveforms instead of saws, and don't make things too fat and warm.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:54 AM   #4
Kayo_2004
Regular Freak
Kayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the roughKayo_2004 is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out.
Kayo_2004 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Derpgerpwalrus
Minor Glitch
Derpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the roughDerpgerpwalrus is a jewel in the rough
Houston, TX
MC Status: 260

On both of these tracks I feel that a lot of those "darker" elements are really brought out by the percussion being a little darker. Try transposing different percussions elements by -3 -5 semitones and see what you get. Like Blingley said don't utilize the highs as much, maybe even look at automating the top of the eq on certain instruments as well, to maybe roll it off on trigger and bring it back in? Just a thought.
Derpgerpwalrus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #6
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler
Bluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud of
In another world, usually
MC Status: 1160

Careful what you put in your mid to mid-highs. Chords if they aren't plucked can kill the dark mood but not always though. You could lower the high shelf or low passing some of the instruments eq,
Percussion can make something sound darker or brighter tonally or rhythmically. White noise with less of the laser sound can give a sort of gritty darker movie feel. Try a more muffled low end bass that leaves out most metal poppy pluck sounds. Minors, diminished, augmented, 7ths chords can help with the darkness. If you use a major chord try not to sit on it too long. Let the lower ambience really shine through, so don't clutter the higher register.

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote