808 / 909 Drums
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
creativemind
Regular Freak
creativemind is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
808 / 909 Drums

Hi All!

I have some pretty decent quality (I think) 808 / 909 samples but when I use them, they never seem to be as fat or pump as big enough as they seem to in the house music tracks I listen to from (89-93 era).

To start with, is there anything in the sample (I could analyse) to tell me whether the samples are decent enough quality in the first place (spectrum-wise maybe)?

Also, people have advised me to parallel compress, saturate and eq the drums to make them sound better / bigger etc. I've tried all that, doesn't seem to get the desired result I'm going for. Maybe some kind of layering is needed along with the kick, maybe a sub bass? I'm guessing some technique that alludes me at this current time was used back then but not sure what.

Like the radio edit of Frankie Knuckles - The Whistle Song for instance on You Tube (sorry can't post links yet). Nothing fancy about the kick in it really, but seems to be pumping somehow and fill up the track. Same with The Tape - Frank De Wulf. The sounds just drive the track along really well and fill up the spectrum I think.

Can people not forget the first point as well, anything I need to be analysing in the sample itself before we talk production, so I know the sample is decent enough first?

Thanks!

Advertisements

creativemind is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8537430
Thanked 6,930 Times in 4,932 Posts
Re: 809 / 909 Drums

89-93 the kicks might have been driven pretty hard into a mixing desk. Also, as for the "pumplng" comment. If you get the settings right on a master bus compressor and have the kick turned up enough the compressor will create a ducking/pumping effect kinda like sidechain compression. I'd say during 89-93 people probably were not layering drums. They might have used parallel compression. But my uneducated guess is that due to technilogical restraints they were using one compressor on one bus for all the drums if they were doing it.

Do you know where you got the samples? I pretty much just use Vinyl Drum Machines from Gold Baby--anything by them or Wave Alchemy are all top quality.

I'd say its probably a larger mix issue than some secret sauce or the quality of your samples.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

amd megabass sample packs are great also theirs a collection of packs called hit kit that are awesome to
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
relic (08-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
TechnoVicious
Learning The Ropes
TechnoVicious is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

If you end up getting (or have) Maschine, their 909/808 samples are pretty spot on.
TechnoVicious is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #5
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836827

Going to echo Relic on this...

Wave Alchemy have some great sample packs for 8/9s.
Goldbaby has a great sample pack and well processed.
As for the pump as Relic says this will be down to a couple of factors.
Likely going through a mixing desk and on drum buss pop some parallel compression, into a multiband compressor or something like L3/mjuc on the master buss. Keep tweaking the indficiual stems into the groups to the master till you get your desired result.
Experiment and have a read on some dance production techniques. Plenty out there.

Remember its not jsut the sound, its the technique...everyone get an egg and crack it, but to make a superb cake it takes knowledge and experience

A random link for you

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Search

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote