OS fanboy battleground
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169960
Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,537 Posts
OS fanboy battleground

The post subject line says it all..do these guys know no bounds? Is there no levels too low for them to stoop to? I mean, placing ads in something you've paid for already..that's a bit shitty to say the least.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Last edited by A.M; 11-04-2017 at 06:20 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18760
Re: MicroSoft placing ads in Windows 10 File Explorer

I like a lot about windows 10. I upgraded for DirectX12 for my games, stayed because the interface wasn't shit and I was able to replace the terrible stock photo viewer with a 3rd party app. I've never quite gotten on with the new explorer though (the tiny changes still haven't been coded to my muscle memory), so this is just par for the course.

I agree this is shit, but how long until there's a free download that kills it?

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I like a lot about windows 10. I upgraded for DirectX12 for my games, stayed because the interface wasn't shit and I was able to replace the terrible stock photo viewer with a 3rd party app. I've never quite gotten on with the new explorer though (the tiny changes still haven't been coded to my muscle memory), so this is just par for the course.

I agree this is shit, but how long until there's a free download that kills it?
That's not the point, though..it's fee-based software..there shouldn't be ads..plus it's yet another example of MS not giving a shit what you want on you own system. I guess their stance is they own the software, not you..so they will do whatever they want..which, although technically right, is just plain wrong.

Seriously, I wish there was a version of Linux out there that would run windows-based VSTs without them crashing and all that hoop-jumping crap getting your audio up and running.

If there were, I'd dump Windows in a heartbeat.

------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 28110

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I mean, placing ads in something you've paid for already..that's a bit shitty to say the least.
Like cable TV, or Pandora, or movies, crossbranded toys in your McDonalds happy meal? I mean, yeah, it's annoying but it's not like it's anything new. Advertising is everywhere and probably always will be. Paying for something just means the people you paid get to pick the ads.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any ads on my Windows copies. Might be because I don't keep them updated, might be because I'm running ad blockers on the router. What version of Windows? Home? I could see them doing that. One of the many nice things about Pro is that professionals and corporations won't stand for that shit or will just remove it so they tend not to include it, or will have a way to disable via GPOs or whatever.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
Nystagmus (21-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #5
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Like cable TV, or Pandora, or movies, crossbranded toys in your McDonalds happy meal? I mean, yeah, it's annoying but it's not like it's anything new. Advertising is everywhere and probably always will be. Paying for something just means the people you paid get to pick the ads.

On the other hand, I haven't seen any ads on my Windows copies. Might be because I don't keep them updated, might be because I'm running ad blockers on the router. What version of Windows? Home? I could see them doing that. One of the many nice things about Pro is that professionals and corporations won't stand for that shit or will just remove it so they tend not to include it, or will have a way to disable via GPOs or whatever.
Yeah..obviously advertising is everywhere, I know that..but traditionally if you pay for software you don't get hit with ads..that's always been the operating model..fee meant ad-free and free meant you had to deal with ads.

------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

That was the business model in the 90s and early 00s, it has been moving away from that for the last 5-10 years. This is the same argument people have had about DLC in video games - you paid for it, you shouldn't play the game only to be upsold on more product. Sadly publishers only see dollar signs and the microtransaction/ad model is here to stay. Like so many computer related things, gaming broke new ground. It's really because everything is moving to cloud based infrastructure and web based interfaces. It's easier to shoehorn in ads by building a 'widget' that allows advertisers to directly stream ads without the primary company being involved.

The real reason it's happening now (or the last 5 years) is because we've just now reached a point where the majority of consumers have a reliable internet connection with enough bandwidth to handle both the programs themselves and the ads. There was a period in the late 90s when several major online presences tried ads and it ground their services to a halt because of the bandwidth. That problem's pretty well gone. This was coming, they knew how to do it, they wanted to do it. They were just waiting for the technology to catch up.

We're also getting to a point where you're not buying software, you're leasing it. Cakewalk, Office 365, Adobe Suite, Quickbooks, etc - all gone from stand alone software packages to cloud based services (complete with ads) with yearly subscriptions (which may or may not cripple the software when you stop paying).

Windows OS is actually now referred to as a service by Microsoft. There will be no Windows 11, no Windows 2020. This is (supposedly) the last version of Windows you have to buy. All upgrades are free (and forced, yah!), which means Microsoft is banking on that install base making them money through things like ad revenue and additional services like Office and other platforms.

With regards to Linux, Ubuntu shit the bed a couple of years ago by 'partnering' with Amazon and pasting ads throughout the default OS installation (the Unity search bar, more specifically). It's still open source so you could remove them without a massive hassle, but it still opened the door to free-as-in-speech software including targeted ads. I understand trying to make a buck, but it's disappointing to see then buy in.

I guess for me it's not a question of whether Microsoft would do it, it was a matter of when and why it took them so long. I'd expect it'll only get worse as time goes on.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
That was the business model in the 90s and early 00s, it has been moving away from that for the last 5-10 years. This is the same argument people have had about DLC in video games - you paid for it, you shouldn't play the game only to be upsold on more product. Sadly publishers only see dollar signs and the microtransaction/ad model is here to stay. Like so many computer related things, gaming broke new ground. It's really because everything is moving to cloud based infrastructure and web based interfaces. It's easier to shoehorn in ads by building a 'widget' that allows advertisers to directly stream ads without the primary company being involved.

The real reason it's happening now (or the last 5 years) is because we've just now reached a point where the majority of consumers have a reliable internet connection with enough bandwidth to handle both the programs themselves and the ads. There was a period in the late 90s when several major online presences tried ads and it ground their services to a halt because of the bandwidth. That problem's pretty well gone. This was coming, they knew how to do it, they wanted to do it. They were just waiting for the technology to catch up.

We're also getting to a point where you're not buying software, you're leasing it. Cakewalk, Office 365, Adobe Suite, Quickbooks, etc - all gone from stand alone software packages to cloud based services (complete with ads) with yearly subscriptions (which may or may not cripple the software when you stop paying).

Windows OS is actually now referred to as a service by Microsoft. There will be no Windows 11, no Windows 2020. This is (supposedly) the last version of Windows you have to buy. All upgrades are free (and forced, yah!), which means Microsoft is banking on that install base making them money through things like ad revenue and additional services like Office and other platforms.

With regards to Linux, Ubuntu shit the bed a couple of years ago by 'partnering' with Amazon and pasting ads throughout the default OS installation (the Unity search bar, more specifically). It's still open source so you could remove them without a massive hassle, but it still opened the door to free-as-in-speech software including targeted ads. I understand trying to make a buck, but it's disappointing to see then buy in.

I guess for me it's not a question of whether Microsoft would do it, it was a matter of when and why it took them so long. I'd expect it'll only get worse as time goes on.

I know what you mean..despite the tone of my OP, I've been aware of this, too..it's hard not to be these days, but I guess the tone of my posts here are fueled more by disgust and a frustrating feeling of being used / abused..more than a little pissed off over being turned into a cash cow and not really getting anything back in return.

I don't want ads on my PC screen..and it's my right now to have to view them..but this kind of action is a move towards enforcing viewing of ads, which, as I said before, is pretty shitty, regardless of how common a practice it is.

As for the Ubuntu debacle you mentioned..I must have missed that..but then I moved away from Ubuntu when they started pushing the new UI that smacked of apps and mobile phones. Call me old-fashioned, but I want my PC screen to look like a PC..not a phone. It's just how I am..I don't see the need to keep "updating" things, when thee updates are usually noting more than mere cosmetic touch ups, created just to get even more cash from you! I don't want the more recent app..the old one still works just fine thank you very much!

Sorry, I'm going off on a tangent..anyway, around the time Ubuntu brought out their new UI, I started exploring the other options out there and eventually settled on the Linux Mint Mate distro, which is very stable and a joy to work with (..no ads either..well there wasn't the last time I used it.)..but, sadly, it's still not really there yet for using as studio OS.

LSS, I don't care what "they" want to do..I don't have to take it..it's my right and I should be given the choice to not view ads if I don't want to..and have my right not to view ads respected if that is my choice. I don't have to do what they want..they are there to serve me..not the other way around..regardless of how things are presented these days. They need us..without us they'd go bust and out of business..and that's something we all need to remember.

If MS are hell-bent of making us view ads, then fuck em..I'll move over to Linux even if it means putting up with some minor audio headaches initially. Anyway, in the true spirit of Linux, there's always bound to be some distrto that will be both ad-free and free to use.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Nystagmus (21-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Ha, you sound a lot like me. I'm not a new adopter by any stretch and if it ain't broke don't fix it. I totally get where you're coming from. Unfortunately the world is marching on and we get to change or jump ship, I suppose, because I don't think there's any way to get around stuff like 24 hour news and targeted ads and Twitter.

Linux gets better and better all the time and it's getting ubiquitous enough that multimedia developers are starting to cross platform for it. It's probably not as pain free as Windows, but it's getting there. That said, I'm still not seeing any ads on Windows, so I dunno what the deal is.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #9
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31460

This is one of those rare times where I don't care. I got the free upgrade, but god forbid I have to format any of my HDD's. What I can't stand is their anti-malware garbage, except I actually can. When it hogs +50% CPU I have to wonder what the fuck is going on over there.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 112910
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,315 Posts

bill gates didn't die for this

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
This is one of those rare times where I don't care. I got the free upgrade, but god forbid I have to format any of my HDD's. What I can't stand is their anti-malware garbage, except I actually can. When it hogs +50% CPU I have to wonder what the fuck is going on over there.
I could be wrong, but that might very well be their peer support update thing..where you don't download updates directly from the MS server, but from other users' PCs..kinda very much Napster, but it all happens behind your screen and is meant to be anonymous.

Come to think of it..that was another reason I didn't go with Win 10.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Vault O))) (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:21 PM   #12
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

i don't remember in which thread but i told ya win 8 and 10 is shit

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
Nystagmus (21-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #13
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
i don't remember in which thread but i told ya win 8 and 10 is shit
Why do you feel that way? I won't pick on your answer, I promise. I'm genuinely curious about the benefits of Windows 7.

------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 PM   #14
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/03/...#.tnw_EA8Orpq4

Quote:
Launch File Explorer and the click View > Options > Change folder and search options.

In the Folder Options dialog that pops up, select the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings box, scroll down and uncheck the option labeled “Show sync provider notifications.” Hit OK.
Doesn't excuse it, but at least you can turn them off.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 PM   #15
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute

just telling you out of benevolence, i will give parallel more understandable because not everyone is expert in software:
-hey buddy don't eat shit it will make you sick
-what ? prove it, where are sources? lel edgy af
-kay then, bye

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #16
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Public Enema #2

Quote:
just telling you out of benevolence, i will give parallel more understandable because not everyone is expert in software:
-kay then, bye
That wasn't my tone at all, but alright. I just meant in your personal life, on a practical level and stuff but whatever.

------------------
Thanks to Vault O)))
Numerical (15-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:49 PM   #17
theycallmegav
Analog Lurker
theycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura abouttheycallmegav has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I can not believe that shit! fucking hell like

------------------
theycallmegav is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to theycallmegav
Numerical (15-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:53 PM   #18
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Quote:
-kay then, bye
I'd love to hear your rationale for this.

I am an expert in software. I've been programming for over 30 years, which I'd guess is longer than you've been alive. Since I know as much if not more than you about software and operating systems, feel free to be as technical as you'd like, and certainly cite sources if you're going to present facts.

Otherwise GTFO with your "I told you so" bullshit.
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (13-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #19
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSAKEY

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
Thanks to D42K732202
Nystagmus (21-03-2017)
Old 13-03-2017, 09:26 PM   #20
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I have yet to encounter this level of jackassery on my Win10 machine, but I did go very far out of my way to learn some basic powershell commands and get rid of everything Bing, Skype, Zune, all the adware shit, with the exception of XBOX which can't be removed.

I expect to see these ads in the next update ;3

Advertisements

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote