"Rivethead" vs. "Industrial Goth"?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-02-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Icon5 "Rivethead" vs. "Industrial Goth"?

I apologize in advance that this is not directly concerned with a music-making process nor genre origins (as much), but this is the only place I could think of + find to get some clarifications on these labels, considering there may be rivetheads somewhere in this forum (seeing there are users on here who enjoy Industrial + EBM music).

If you have any knowledge on the industrial culture and/or rivethead culture, I'd just like to know the difs between a rivethead + an "industrial goth" -- mostly if "industrial goth" is even an existent label, because I've seen but very few sources regarding it -- so, any insight on this?

(Please, nothing about "who cares about labels/genre difs" nor rude comments. I'm aware that labels can be unnecessary, but this is just for achieving a better understanding of the terms; I'm simply asking this out of curiosity.

And again, I've no idea where else to ask this, because I've tried to on Yahoo!Answers + have gotten no replies (because there are ignorant, young ppl on that site who know nothing of any underground scenes), so this is the closest I could find regarding anyone with knowledge on the industrial genres + scenes.)

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760
Re: "Rivethead" vs. "Industrial Goth"?

My understanding is Rivethead was more punk style while Industrial Goth is more... well - goth.

Can't post links yet but look for Rivethead on Wikipedia. It kinda breaks it down near the end of the page.

Also - there are Cybergoths which wear neon, gas masks and stuff.
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpinch View Post
My understanding is Rivethead was more punk style while Industrial Goth is more... well - goth.

Can't post links yet but look for Rivethead on Wikipedia. It kinda breaks it down near the end of the page.

Also - there are Cybergoths which wear neon, gas masks and stuff.
So there is such a thing as "industrial goth"? I mean yes, I've seen the reference in the Wiki article on rivetheads, but it also sounds like it was just a term to incorrectly label something or other.. since otherwise I haven't seen any sources specific to what "industrial goth" is, hence supporting to solidify the meaning or existence. but again, that's why I'm asking~

Yes. I've also considered cybergoth, which is a rather defining + well-formed subculture; just more on the raver spectrum of social cultures.
I'm assuming the possible "industrial goth" label may have some raver or cybergoth influences, but is also like a rivethead (in the sense of having a darker, more polished + monochromatic color scheme, apocalyptic/dystopian themes, + the use of various metal accents on attire), right? not to mention interests in both Industrial genres + some other electro-goth genres.

am I wrong or missing something? that's just how I perceive the image of the "industrial goth"...
Old 02-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65310
Thanked 1,306 Times in 985 Posts

Most of the terms for people are stigmatizing.
Just listen to each individual tune on it's own merit and analyse with the auditory part of your brain.
Total Wellness Recovery Action Plan.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Democracy Now! and National Public Radio and BBC News
Old 02-03-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23510

You're talking about fashion, not music. You can't tell much about the music people listen to by looking at their shoes, even when talking about sad faced club kids.

Most of the differences have to do with specific localized scenes, not whole bodies of people or music. Like people with neon hair and gas masks might call themselves Rivetheads in Chicago and Industrial Club in Essex and Cybergoth in Paris and they all listen to exactly the same bands or none of the same bands.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
You're talking about fashion, not music. You can't tell much about the music people listen to by looking at their shoes, even when talking about sad faced club kids.

Most of the differences have to do with specific localized scenes, not whole bodies of people or music. Like people with neon hair and gas masks might call themselves Rivetheads in Chicago and Industrial Club in Essex and Cybergoth in Paris and they all listen to exactly the same bands or none of the same bands.
I'm concerning both the image + musical interests. I know they are some of the many music-based labels that aren't always defining by how one's appearance is.

The labels are specifically different + have their own definitions (I don't think they're supposed to be synonymous with each other), but so that would just be confusing if they describe the same label or completely different labels to some.

I know they're just labels, but if someone is going to bother with using any on themselves, then why shouldn't they have a general understanding of the term? I mean it sounds like these some ppl of various areas are either trying to understand the labels themselves or are just nonchalantly throwing out a label they assume is closest to their interests... or if they really didn't care + just like the music, then they'd be better off not considering themselves anything other than lovers of industrial music + such.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #7
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Wikipedia has an excerpt which seems to support my belief that it's largely attributable to confusion more than anything else.

"The original rivethead subculture (late-1980s to mid-1990s) was different from the goth subculture in ideological and musical terms, as well as in their visual aesthetics. Confusion regarding the boundaries of those two youth cultures has heightened because of the late-1990s "multi-youth-cultural" cross-hybridization, which has led people to incorrectly believe that rivetheads are an offshoot of the goth subculture or identical to trends such as the rave fashion and trance music-inspired cybergoth movement. Nancy Kilpatrick labelled this blend "industrial goth", as does Julia Borden. Note: In the heyday of the rivethead culture, the term "industrial goth" as a description of a youth culture did not exist).

Rivethead = electro-industrial/EBM kids
Industrial Goth= confused kids

Last edited by penguinoid; 02-13-2017 at 08:56 AM..
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Yeah it's mentioned just in that paragraph in Wiki only a couple of times..

Although I've thought more about the definition of that term + can see it being a potential existing label:

Such as it being a blend of rivethead + goth, but not quite/exactly like a cybergoth, because the fashion would be a monochromatic mix of rivethead "militaristic"/"post-apocalyptic" themes + gothic "dark romantic" themes (even relating to the similar styles of hair + makeups of both), whereas cybergoth involves more color + has more of a raver influence.

Music-wise, of course, is similar to that of a cybergoth's taste (electro-goth + industrial genres) but also includes some Gothic Rock interest.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5210

I don't know how accurate this is, but in my experience, Rivets take fashion cues from nazi-style shit in an attempt to "take it back" and cleanse it of the associated nazi ideals. They also seem less scurred to get in a fight and don't listen to as much goth rock. Probably better versed in the more "underground" industrial/electronic

Goth's invoke Robert Smith, love anything on Metropolis, and generally try to avoid a beating...and tend to listen to more goth rock.

Both listen to the various forms of industrial/electronic music.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

I think rivethead is more of a military aesthetic than a nazi one, of course there's uniform fetishists like Nachtmahr that throw that curve off a bit.

Metropolis leans more toward the electro-industrial and ebm side of things I think, so more likely to be associated with rivetheads than goth. I think if we were going to assign labels to the two, goths would more likely lean toward Cleopatra and Projekt.
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #11
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317339

I identified as a rivethead in my youth because I would wear more brown/green than black, But I did like my boots now. Whenever I think of Rivethead vs. Industrial Goth I think of Die Krupps vs. Razed in Black, Idk why I would even make that association but it makes sense to me.

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
PROton42 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 07:26 AM   #12
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Industrial Goth is like early Skinny Puppy

rivetheads are like arzt+pfusch

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
jVs (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:34 AM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Industrial Goth is like early Skinny Puppy

rivetheads are like arzt+pfusch

And this..

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #14
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jVs View Post
I identified as a rivethead in my youth because I would wear more brown/green than black, But I did like my boots now. Whenever I think of Rivethead vs. Industrial Goth I think of Die Krupps vs. Razed in Black, Idk why I would even make that association but it makes sense to me.
can i ask you why you abandoned visual looks ? not trolling just legit interested

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
hellscion
Banned
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357073

a rivethead is similar to a metalhead, but they listen to industrial music instead of heavy metal.

there is no industrial goth, industrial is an off-shoot of goth,

i think you mean cyber goth..that's from Aggrotech and came from EBM, industrial's retarded younger cousin. That is more of a fetish/party/dance scene though than anything else.
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:43 AM   #16
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
can i ask you why you abandoned visual looks ? not trolling just legit interested
I didn't really abandon my style, I just ended up with more polo shirts as of late.

I ended up through trade/questionable dealings losing a lot of t shirts. But, lesson learned.

Advertisements

------------------
Make synths 1984 again.