Synthpop vs. Electropop vs. Technopop?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » Music By Genre » Techno
Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Icon5 Synthpop vs. Electropop vs. Technopop?

I know, they're just genres and "who cares about difs", but I would like to know the difs btwn Synthpop, Electropop, and Technopop (given there'd be any, unless they are all completely synonymous with each other -- in which case, then why are there 3 dif ways/terms to refer to the same genre?)

if they're different, how (content-speaking)? i.e. -- do they all use dif or certain sounds? are lyrical themes different (when they are present in a song of each genre)?
I almost think such of electropop or technopop would be more "electronic", using more synthesized sounds, whereas synthpop would have more elements of new wave and krautrock or some other rock genre's characteristics.

just asking out of curiosity and with a will to understand some electronic genres better.

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:39 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23160
Re: Synthpop vs. Electropop vs. Technopop?

I consider myself to be a fan of electronic music, but I've never heard of electropop or technopop in my life

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough

I found out of those terms through Wikipedia. I guess there's some info on Electropop on Last.FM as well.
as for Technopop, perhaps it's some synonymous term with Synthpop, but I'm not 100% positive (that's just what Wiki claims but I'm skeptical about what's illustrated on Wiki sometimes).

Also, I think some sites claim they're all the same genre, which I don't totally understand..

I'm also an electronic music fan, but coming across those genres/terms got me wondering why there's a few defs of such...
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23660

Synthpop? Find me some poppy techno that doesn't have synths in it, and I'll find you someone that's misspelled poop.

This discussion reminds me of the first time I heard a metalhead correct another metalhead by saying "no no, they're not death metal, they're blackened post-metal" and I just wanted to reach out and crush his fragile little hipster windpipe.

Never underestimate the ability of stupid people to overly complicate things.

EDIT: I'm not implying that anyone here is stupid, rather that the people that tend to populate lists on Wikipedia and other parts of the internet are. It's certainly easy to get confused by all the silly labels people want to apply to things like music.

Last edited by Artificer; 12-09-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23160

Not to steer this thread further downhill, but Wikipedia is the worst for genre ID's in the world. Dicogs is typically in line with the general consensus, as far as I can tell

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #6
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Synthpop? Find me some poppy techno that doesn't have synths in it, and I'll find you someone that's misspelled poop.

This discussion reminds me of the first time I heard a metalhead correct another metalhead by saying "no no, they're not death metal, they're blackened post-metal" and I just wanted to reach out and crush his fragile little hipster windpipe.

Never underestimate the ability of stupid people to overly complicate things.

EDIT: I'm not implying that anyone here is stupid, rather that the people that tend to populate lists on Wikipedia and other parts of the internet are. It's certainly easy to get confused by all the silly labels people want to apply to things like music.
I know, some people like to be more specific with identifying certain genres or slight sound changes between artists or something -- I'm not totally "elitist" about music genres and styles, but to a certain extent... surely enough, sometimes I wish people wouldn't keep creating smaller and more complicated subgenres to subgenres over the littlest details...

I'll accept Synthpop as a genre, of course. just not sure about technopop + electropop (which is why I ask about them here, just for some clarifications on them).
Old 12-09-2016, 06:54 PM   #7
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Not to steer this thread further downhill, but Wikipedia is the worst for genre ID's in the world. Dicogs is typically in line with the general consensus, as far as I can tell
I don't disagree with you, I also find Wikipedia can be misleading with genres at times, so I do often refer to anything on Discogs. sometimes Last.fm, otherwise.
but again, I only ask about the other two genres here for clarifications of their origins/info...
Old 12-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5210

you left out futurepop

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oDDgOD
PROton42 (03-14-2017)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 PM   #9
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDgOD View Post
you left out futurepop
purposely, yes -- I can sort of identify synthpop from futurepop, so that's not much of an issue, therefore I left it out by intent.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23660

I think my real problem with all these microgenres is that it feels like it becomes exclusionary. Ass Pop and Butt Pop are exactly the same, except Ass Pop is only 110bpm or less and Butt Pop is everything 110+. But people will argue about what's what and tell the other side that they're idiots and don't know what they're talking about and I'm standing here thinking "you both like the same terrible music". These silly genres at some point stop encoding information about what I'm about to hear and become a wedge to drive between people that mostly like the same things, and I think that's awful.

I mean I'm all for "this is pop-country" and "this is grindcore" because at that level it actually does give me a vague idea about what's about to hit me. Even then I could just keep on with my own personally classifications of "sucks" and "doesn't suck", which has been working for me for ages.

(Countrygrind, coming soon. I've gotta do it.)
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:34 AM   #11
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 94650
Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,244 Posts

You kids and your damn techno
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
PROton42 (03-14-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #12
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

well, my acknowledgment of the three terms:
if they are to be considered individual genres, then there are merely very subtle differences.. but all of which have a definite influence of pop/dance music (but not as much to be interchangeable with the "Dance Pop" genre):

Synthpop=basically synthesized pop music; could be an umbrella term, or a genre describing that of a style of New Wave with a bit more of a use of synthesizers (may still use guitars, at least more so than Electropop + Technopop).

Electropop=style of Synthpop; emphasis on having more of an "electronic" aspect; uses sounds and synths that are "crisp", "clean" and "crackly", and with like a cleaner production than Synthpop music.

Technopop=style of Synthpop; emphasis on its roots/influences from Techno (perhaps the mechanical, experimental, and industrial aspects).

thoughts on these distinctions? would these descriptions make sense..?

they're my reasoning based on taking the literal/logical approach on their names (as well as how some songs that could be considered one or the others are structured/composed). I think that if they were regarded as individual genres, it would be extremely subtle (at least, synthpop from electropop -- idk much of what to say about technopop...)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #13
Rough Cuts
Minor Glitch
Rough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud of
Manchester
MC Status: 1460

These genres are like beers. Having a few is all good but too many and you don't know who or what the fuck you're doing.
Rough Cuts is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rough Cuts
PROton42 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Cuts View Post
These genres are like beers. Having a few is all good but too many and you don't know who or what the fuck you're doing.
Yes, I acknowledge that there are many who feel that subgenres are generally pointless (or are at least okay to recognize/accept an extent), and there are some who are picky about understanding every little detail in differentiating one style of a genre from the next (depending how closely related they are). But I just wanted to know thoughts on differentiating them, not whether or not there's any purpose in discerning them from each other.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
Rough Cuts
Minor Glitch
Rough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud ofRough Cuts has much to be proud of
Manchester
MC Status: 1460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmotron View Post
Yes, I acknowledge that there are many who feel that subgenres are generally pointless (or are at least okay to recognize/accept an extent), and there are some who are picky about understanding every little detail in differentiating one style of a genre from the next (depending how closely related they are). But I just wanted to know thoughts on differentiating them, not whether or not there's any purpose in discerning them from each other.
yeah i know what you mean. my point was that genres are pretty much necessary when in a world where there are so many tracks being produced, you need a certain degree of labeling to find something even close to what you want. then you have sub genres that want to separate the things even more. that's okay except that most people don't know or think they know what these sub genre's are. so now you have people putting out tracks as one thing when some one else would think it's something else. like yeah detroit techno, industrial techno and minimal techno i can easily see the difference. synthpop and electropop sound too similar to me to be put into different genres. people who are into synthpop might miss out on a whole lot of "electropop" tunes they might like because of all this needless seperation. and technopop? i'd need an example to even have a clue what that is.
Rough Cuts is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Electropop exhibit A?

In as far as I can tell, the electropop side of things is on the electro (no the real one not the often crap from the 2000s ) side of things. Listen to the beat-structure of that track and compare with something like Anthony Rother (example 1, example 2) or Aux 88. Same thing, but just more pop-y. Other things I have seen people call electro-pop tend to be a bit darker or weird on the lyrical content. Example - Ladytron - Seventeen might be somewhere in the middle of electro and synth pop.

I might be a bit crazy, but I associate synth-pop a little more with things like Pop Goes the World and other playful stuff from the 80s (not to say it does not get made now). Compare pop goes the world with Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams which might more on the electro-pop side of things. Maybe this is an example of modern synth-pop?

But is it also indy-dance!?!?

Some people call this retro-wave, outrun, or synth-wave:

But seems pretty synth-y and pop-y to me although it has no lyrics so maybe that makes a difference and cannot be pop? (bonus ridiculousness if you like it - Lazerhawk - King of the Streets).

And then at some point it starts to blur into Electro-clash. Something the person who is accredited (I-F) with creating hates... (see Space Invaders are Smoking Grass maybe more pop-y yet people say is electroclash but what got me into electro... fuck!)

Where does this fit?

Maybe electro-pop? Electro-clash?

Or Miss Kitten and the Hacker (track: 1982 or Stock-Exchange - really nice tracks! Pop-y maybe more synthy, but then seem to have a punk-rock sub-text and the internet seems to think is electroclash)

In truth I am just trying to bring some order to a legitimate question that shows how a mixture of promo people, cliques, internet hype-machines, and whatever lead to some rather incoherent and arbitrary umbrella names for music which at the end of the day is just music.

Or maybe mostly just all electro (multi-year/page thread aimed at answering the question what is electro).

I am going to use this emoji because it is the first time I have posted since it was added:

Last edited by TL072; 03-12-2017 at 01:26 PM..
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
PROton42 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Kozmotron
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Cuts View Post
yeah i know what you mean. my point was that genres are pretty much necessary when in a world where there are so many tracks being produced, you need a certain degree of labeling to find something even close to what you want. then you have sub genres that want to separate the things even more. that's okay except that most people don't know or think they know what these sub genre's are. so now you have people putting out tracks as one thing when some one else would think it's something else. like yeah detroit techno, industrial techno and minimal techno i can easily see the difference. synthpop and electropop sound too similar to me to be put into different genres. people who are into synthpop might miss out on a whole lot of "electropop" tunes they might like because of all this needless seperation. and technopop? i'd need an example to even have a clue what that is.
Yes, sometimes there are more than enough subgenres of subgenres that people come up with... I don't intend to follow every scrutinizing detail in discerning the smallest, most unusual genre from the next, but I still enjoy just attempting to understand some.
--
Also because I created a cartoon series of musical genres as humanized (anthropomorphic) beings, I've been occasionally asking on here about telling the difs between certain similar genres.. (Most are of electronic styles, so I've made tons of various electronic subgenres into chars.)

In this case of Synthpop vs. Electropop vs. Technopop, it is because I've seen some reference to each at least once, thus piquing my curiosity about them, and wondering how they can be applied to my series. I have a solid "Synthpop" character, and just recently composed "Electropop" (as a close style of Synthpop's), but I'm considering keeping "Technopop" as just an alternate name for Synthpop than an entirely separate genre...
Old 03-14-2017, 03:49 AM   #18
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I just came here to post this:

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

death metal and blackened post metal are pretty different to be honest

the first has an album cover like a post-apocalyptic League of Legends on crack, the other has some colour, maybe

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote