DAW wars again... What about Cubase?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 25-09-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
astru
Minor Glitch
astru will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
DAW wars again... What about Cubase?

Hello fellows,

some people will love some will hate this thread but I need some advice in switching the DAW to.. Cubase?
I tried almost every DAW except Cubase and wondering if any of you would agree that it is the most advanced DAW and it is really worth of diving into that?

Maybe you could mention main things why you love it and why you dont

I use DAW for experimental music composition

Advertisements

astru is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:39 AM   #2
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Re: DAW wars again... What about cubase

If you've tried just about every other DAW and are not satisfied yet, I expect that you still won't be satisfied.

That said, I do like Cubase, but I'd reccomend presonus studio one instead. It was created by two of the original cubase guys, and has a lot of similarities, but with a much more streamlined interface. People are always ranting about how everything sucks at midi compared to Cubase, but I find this to be a half truth. What they're (often) referring to is how in Cubase there is a very customizable way to bulk edit midi. For example shit like: reduce every third note to half velocity and move it forward by a 1/16 note.

I don't really have much use for this type of functionality because I'm a more hands on editor. So I use FL studio. From my perspective FL studio is a better midi tool because, once you learn all the key commands, it is amazingly fast and precise without having to rely on any automated stuff.

But, every DAW has its ups and downs. The three I reccomend are ableton, FL studio, and studio one. You have to figure out very precisely what your proirities are and pick the DAW that fits that best and then just stick to it.

You will get fast and effective with any DAW you spend time with. The worst thing you can do is switch around a lot (spoken from experience).

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
ms_ (26-09-2016)
Old 26-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 112910
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,315 Posts

I'm not quite sure what you're expecting from them that makes you keep switching from one to another. They all have some learning curve, sure. Some is more steep than another but once you get through you can work in full mode. It's all about the workspace and how efficiently you can keep your workflow going; some people prefer having bunch of samples/effects on the side/bottom or as a separate windows, who knows. Maybe you like a very minimal approach and easy setup of modulation curves with only few clicks... It's all personal preference and DAWs offer same things that are done in a different way as some users prefer such, for some reason. If DAW doesn't have things you want, find at least that one you feel comfortable with, then maybe force yourself to go a bit more in-depth.

My rec is Live because it was my first and last choice; I decided I'll just master it, because why not and only look for alternatives if I feel there are some better ones (which I never needed and it's been years). Never such problem likes yours occurred.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49510

If your DAW doesn't have Pro somewhere in its name, it's shit.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 23860

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
If your DAW doesn't have Pro somewhere in its name, it's shit.

Mine says suite in the name, I think they misspeled sweet!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
oDDgOD
Soundscaper
oDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond reputeoDDgOD has a reputation beyond repute
Colorado Springs, CO
MC Status: 5360

That Clip to Loop function in Cubase is pretty sweet...easiest loop creation I've ever found in a DAW. Wish Reaper had this feature.

------------------
Anybody can be good at something but it takes real effort to suck as bad as I do.
oDDgOD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #7
disftiva
Learning The Ropes
disftiva will become famous soon enough
Auckland

I've tried a bunch including Ableton, Cubase, FL, Logic, Protools and Reason.

Some have their perks, for example: I think that the reverb plugin which comes with Logic sounds fantastic and slicing up audio in Protools was very easy to pick up. I do think however, the majority of software covers all bases as far as I know. If there were any major limitations or advantages between one set of software and another it would be well known and people would mention it here.

I'm going to agree with mnkvolcno and say that I think you're better off sticking with one and learning it well rather than wasting time changing software. I've spent 15 years with Cubase and still learn more about it almost every day so there's no way I'm changing now!
disftiva is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
astru
Minor Glitch

My first DAW was Reason which I gave up due to interface and lack of VST

I used Ableton for a long time which has the most intuitive workflow imo but it was never creatively inspiring and somehow I found it sounds always flat and dead..

Then I jumped on Bitwig which I found really amazing how fast I got used to it after Ableton and modulation with FX on feedbacks made available to make some amazing sounds. Still it feels somehow incomplete.

Studio One is great but I mainly use for recording and film sounds. Not too much space for expression.

New FL Studio is a great for fast ideas, midi support is amazing, buil-in instruments are best I've seen, but it does not feel deep. Just use a VST and write a melody.

Maybe mnkvolcno is right, I will never be satisfied.
That is why I am curious about Cubase.

Going back to Reaktor while waiting for a new Bitwig release
Old 26-09-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Jonathan
Sample Destroyer
Jonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MCJonathan is a savage MC
Québec
MC Status: 323781

You can try the basic version and see by yourself.

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/trial.html

------------------
Jonathan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jonathan
astru (26-09-2016)
Old 26-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1831277

Quote:
Originally Posted by astru View Post
Hello fellows,

some people will love some will hate this thread but I need some advice in switching the DAW to.. Cubase?
I tried almost every DAW except Cubase and wondering if any of you would agree that it is the most advanced DAW and it is really worth of diving into that?

Maybe you could mention main things why you love it and why you dont

I use DAW for experimental music composition
Been using Cubase and previous versions since it's infancy on the Atari ST, Win3.11 and onwards...
Started out as wanted to sync and sequence midi devices and Cubase has always done this rather well and features rich for midi.

So moving upto speed today. I know Cubase reasonably well and developed my own workflow on how I approach projects (admittedlyvery amateurish, but none the less I can get some results).
I have tried Reaper, Reason, Fruity Loops, Sonar, Pro 1, Ableton Live, Maschine.

I believe if you are committed to what you want to do, then invest in a daw and stick with it.
As far as Cubase goes, for what you want to do it is feature rich. The mixer routing is good and for sends, routing and so forth it does the job very well.

I dont kow much about Cubasis, undertsand it is linited compared to full blowncubase, restricted audio tracks, midi and inserts along with some other missing functions. But maybe a good place to start.

Personally I use Maschine for constructing beats and riffs but always end up doing the production and arrangements, along with effects and editing in Cubase to the final (home style) mastering stage.

Exeprimental doesn't really tell us a lot, so hwo do work are you using external instruments/synths/kit? Do you already have a collection of vstplugins or others you want to use in your daw.

Anyway hope you find your path.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 10:24 PM   #11
astru
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by disftiva View Post
I've tried a bunch including Ableton, Cubase, FL, Logic, Protools and Reason.

Some have their perks, for example: I think that the reverb plugin which comes with Logic sounds fantastic and slicing up audio in Protools was very easy to pick up. I do think however, the majority of software covers all bases as far as I know. If there were any major limitations or advantages between one set of software and another it would be well known and people would mention it here.

I'm going to agree with mnkvolcno and say that I think you're better off sticking with one and learning it well rather than wasting time changing software. I've spent 15 years with Cubase and still learn more about it almost every day so there's no way I'm changing now!
Well then Cubase is a monster!

Other DAWS are pretty straight forward. Once you found out these ones they are pretty much done:
Audio track and it's -settings-
Midi track and it's -settings-
vst and vstI

Only Reason is a different one
And Bitwig
Old 26-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #12
astru
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post

Exeprimental doesn't really tell us a lot, so hwo do work are you using external instruments/synths/kit? Do you already have a collection of vstplugins or others you want to use in your daw.

Anyway hope you find your path.
I decided to work only in the box. That is why I am looking for DAW with most features which would make me think about endless possibilities
Old 26-09-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1831277

Well I'm going to say cubase. The stock plugins and effects, along with the functionality and features will keep your creative streak running for a good many years without the need to buy 3rd party....endless? I think it will keep you very busy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Does Cubase still not have adjustable automation curves?

I'm telling you guys.. Presonus studio one. Lots of new innovative features, check out "event fx", the way it handles comping, the ease of routing in he mixer.. It has a lot more stuff going on that's really nice also.

Give it a couple of more versions and it's going to be a real monster. I'm still stuck on Fl studio though due to dat piano rollz

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #15
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941381
Thanked 5,664 Times in 3,570 Posts
Re: DAW wars again... What about Cubase?

I never got on with Cubase although it's been nearly 10 years since I installed my old version 3. The stock plugins weren't bad but they were ridiculously small afa the gui goes. Probably has changed in recent years...seriously, the last time I fired up Cubase, I still owned a CRT monitor.

------------------
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #16
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts
Re: DAW wars again... What about Cubase?

Cubase is and always has been great.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote