Demolishing the Myths Of Compression
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 AM   #1
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310
Demolishing the Myths Of Compression

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I can guarantee you that this will be something new for the the majority. Today I can safely say that, concept wise I understand what a compression does. But if you want to talk about what its really doing to a sound, when you're compressing it with a very low threshold, a very slow atk and and a fast rls time I'll have no clue except tell you that "it might sound bad".

Every time I rely on the numbers that are appearing on my screen while I'm playing with my compressor, at some point it just doesnt look right when compared to what I'm HEARING in the end. This article explains just that...

Hopefully this helps!!

Advertisements

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #2
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151460
Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,818 Posts
Re: Demolishing the Myths Of Compression

Some people lose sleep over really inconsequential stuff.

Kind of like my SUPER AUTISTIC co-worker...he'll have nightmares about a brake caliper he couldn't get working properly during the day. Fucking Albert,,,lol.

Anyway. Yeah yeah, use your ears. Two thirds... whatever.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389648
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,760 Posts

Weeee, I knew this... subconsciously.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #4
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

I am surprised that I learned some things from this.
They taught us the wrong thing in Sound Engineering school back in the day!

But this does remind me of frequency response definitions for high pass and low pass filters' corner frequencies.
The corner frequencies are actually where the level drops 6 dB. At least that's how I remember it. So the "edges" of filtered frequencies tend to be "rounded". Sorry if the way I'm explaining this is confusing. Anyways, it's interesting.

Thanks for the article

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 01:50 AM   #5
jBam
Radial Developer
jBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud of
Melbourne
MC Status: 1413

Yeah - good grab… I really got something from that last point - that every sound / track will have an ultimate threshold for a compressor's settings… It's obvious, and acknowledged, but I never really knew why or how… I've always been like the author was - a little unsure of when too much is too much (although I fancy myself pretty handy with a compressor …). Elasticity is great analogy...

------------------
jBam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260

Thanks for posting this. I learned some things also.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:04 AM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529130
Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,821 Posts

Ive read this before. Fantastic.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24660

Yeah I enjoyed the read as well thx!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153460
Thanked 3,069 Times in 2,152 Posts

Making dynamic rage greater with compression? I thought you had to be a wizard to do that.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #10
(blank)
Learning The Ropes
(blank) has a spectacular aura about(blank) has a spectacular aura about
Denver
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
I can guarantee you that this will be something new for the the majority. Today I can safely say that, concept wise I understand what a compression does. But if you want to talk about what its really doing to a sound, when you're compressing it with a very low threshold, a very slow atk and and a fast rls time I'll have no clue except tell you that "it might sound bad".

Every time I rely on the numbers that are appearing on my screen while I'm playing with my compressor, at some point it just doesnt look right when compared to what I'm HEARING in the end. This article explains just that...

Hopefully this helps!!
I found this really helpful dude! I was wondering if you have any more insight through experience on sidechain settings to the kick. In professional waveforms, when pulled into a DAW, most tracks show little to no gaps in level between the kick and the synths. I always struggle to replicate this consistency with my sidechain settings. I think I may be setting the thresholds too low, or maybe I should compress to a shorter ghost kick and adjust the release from there. How would you recommend doing this? Thanks
(blank) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Jogden139
Learning The Ropes
Jogden139 has a spectacular aura aboutJogden139 has a spectacular aura about
Aldergrove
MC Status: 160

yeah thanks for that awesome read!!! I love compression now!
Jogden139 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/officialtrickrick/trick-rick-axl-wood-wild-bass-radio-002?in=o
Old 18-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
EggplantPurple
Minor Glitch
EggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to behold
Toronto/Tkaronto
MC Status: 810

Interesting read. I recently discovered TDR Nova to do eq, compression, expansion on individual bands. I'm finding it pretty transparent and powerful and so far I think it's helping my mixes so I might use my standard compressors less now. Anyone else doing this or other combined EQ and compressors?
EggplantPurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #13
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

wait what ? compression had myths ? what about equalizer legends ?

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D42K732202
Parricide (23-03-2017)
Old 23-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #14
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
wait what ? compression had myths ? what about equalizer legends ?
yea it does!
an example is that compression makes a signal louder.

as for equalizer legends....

...pro-Q

/thread

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69880019

Nothing very new there for me. /crapboast

So there's no consistent standard for att and rel times (true), but the same times with different shaped response curves could sound longer or shorter, so why should 2/3rds rule of thumb be any less incorrect than other compression myths? Every compressor sounds different, so the numbers should never be used as a strict rule. Use your ears, innit.

A really good idea for understanding compression is to build your own compressor in some modular environment (e.g. Synthedit, Synthmaker, Buzz, Bidule, MAXMSP, etc). Grab some maths modules and a peak follower of some description, and it becomes self evident that the attack and release functions are rates of change/slew.

I think I've linked this Rob Acid interview on mastering compression a few dozen times here over the years... Well worth a watch if you're stuck using compressors like a hammer:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 02:45 AM   #16
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 29560

My favorite video demonstrating an intuitive way to see and understand compression. It really helps to mess with settings and see/hear the results until you get it seared into your brain.

Last edited by Artificer; 24-03-2017 at 02:52 AM..
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #17
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171810
Thanked 3,436 Times in 2,564 Posts

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:32 PM   #18
waffleberry
Radial Developer
waffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MCwaffleberry is a savage MC
MC Status: 132634

Once i recorded sounds from an air compressor. the attack and release depended on how i opened the valve.

------------------
waffleberry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to waffleberry
Vault O))) (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 AM   #19
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Making dynamic rage greater with compression? I thought you had to be a wizard to do that.
you absolutely can make dynamic range greater with compression.

imagine a drum hit and a compressor set up with a low threshold and slow enough attack to let the transient through. the tail will be compressed and the transient will not (put crudely), thus expanding the dynamic range.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Vault O))) (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 19560

For me, the easiest way to do it is to crank the non-linearity setting way up in Presswerk or to use the graph in maximus. With maximus, you can actually do all sorts of crazy stuff. I like to start linear, then flatten early, then make up for it with an increased slope as the level approaches zero. This way, every drum hit goes through compression followed by expansion, then the reverse as it comes down. It gives me about 40% more thump. But be careful, if you go too far, you get about 80% more click.

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote