Equipment for making live visuals at DJ Gigs
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 28-10-2015, 02:59 AM   #1
DJ Hawes
Microknight
DJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improve
Torquay
MC Status: -109180
Equipment for making live visuals at DJ Gigs

Ok so basically im looking to have different visuals that i can use at my gigs, also i want a camera hooked up so i can switch to a live feed. I am wanting to know if anyone has done this and if so how?

The idea is basically have my macbook in the DJ booth with me and i can select different visuals to appear on screen, this could be to reflect the track im playing, or perhaps the ability to write stuff on the screens like tweets or shout outs, also id be looking to permanently embed my twitter/FB details on the screen, so they can tweet me requests for example.

So the main thing im looking for is a software that could change visuals via a hot key or something, and also switch to a camera connected to the computer to record me mixing live or to the crowd etc, and also the ability to write stuff on the screen.

This sounds like a lot but im sure it must be possible? If so any advice would be great!!!

Thanks!

Advertisements

DJ Hawes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #2
ModernRitual
Minor Glitch
ModernRitual will become famous soon enoughModernRitual will become famous soon enough
Lyon
MC Status: 110
Re: Equipment for making live visuals at DJ Gigs

Hello DJ Hawes, i don't really have answer but i'm also interested in this subject.
mainly a software to do VJing easy to use. But hte camera idea is great also...
ModernRitual is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

I'd suggest going with Modul8 or VDMX5 if you can get a hold of one of those. You can map everything to a MIDI controller at the same time it's mapped to another program, so whatever you're using for live performance could be manipulated at the same time you manipulate your live visuals, making it look like "it's reacting" when you're actually just controlling both at the same time. Both of them can also use camera input.

VDMX5 and Modul8 are extremely easy to use, and syphon output is a great feature on both of them, you can syphon output to a program like MadMapper for example.

------------------
andrewchapmanart.com
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #4
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nice
MC Status: 360
Icon7 Re: Equipment for making live visuals at DJ Gigs

Hey guys

I have actually been working on a VJ system myself, it is in the very early stages and the graphics are quite simple at the moment but it does one thing differently - it predicts the time of the next beat. This allows it to make 'sudden' changes instead of just reacting to the audio spectrum.

There is a link to it on my profile (can't post links yet).

Enjoy (plus, any feedback would be welcome)
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52010
Thanked 1,040 Times in 767 Posts

Requests? Via FB? Things have surely changed.

Back in the days you were to listen to what your DJ deemed appropriate. Unless you were sufficiently cute and of the appropriate gender, indicating that there might be a chance for the DJ to get some nookie, you also were not welcome to approach the DJ box to do so in person.

Hard also to accommodate within an intricately planned set running two tunes at any one time on four tables.

FB and Twitter should be for adulation only, should it not?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nicermedhurst is just really nice

The easy way to do what you want is just to use the windows desktop anyway

Just have no icons on the desktop and the background colour set to dark grey or black, then have the icons you need on the quick launch toolbar. That's what I would do

Last edited by rmedhurst; 20-06-2016 at 07:07 PM..
Old 21-06-2016, 05:01 AM   #7
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
Icon5 Re: Equipment for making live visuals at DJ Gigs

You gave me the idea of making a program to display text on the screen while VJing, the file is now on my website (link on profile)

User can change font, colour, size etc and have multiple lines of text

Free program.

Any feedback on it would be nice aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhh

Last edited by rmedhurst; 22-06-2016 at 06:28 AM..

Advertisements