FPV DRONE RACING
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 24-06-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387399
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,304 Posts
FPV DRONE RACING

Looks awesome fun.

Add an Oculus Rift and prolly mind blown

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for caps in title, it was a copy/paste from article. If a mod could sort, rather than sending Fid round to my place with a large bat, I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited by Roo Stercogburn; 24-06-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660
Re: UNDERGROUND FPV DRONE RACING IS THE GEEK SPORT OF THE FUTURE

i take on your mini drones with a fully functional man sized hover drone.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...technologyNews
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #3
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

I think the all-caps thread title is appropriate. ヽ(๏∀๏ )ノ
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
ReKre
Radial Developer
ReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura aboutReKre has a spectacular aura about
San Francisco
MC Status: 210

That is the coolest shit I've seen in a long time. Now we just need to get it to the US!
ReKre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993330
Thanked 4,062 Times in 2,634 Posts

needs more weapons tied to the drones

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387399
Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
You work for IS or something?

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Funny you post this. A couple of my colleagues just bought kits to build their own. I would too but I'm too broke, lol. Apparently it can get quite expensive because especially in the beginning you will crash a lot...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel

I think I'm going to order myself a kit and start building one. At first without the FPV goggles to make it a bit cheaper. and slowly upgrade as more money comes in lol

Will share photos once I get going

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
Lug (28-07-2015)
Old 28-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I think I'm going to order myself a kit and start building one. At first without the FPV goggles to make it a bit cheaper. and slowly upgrade as more money comes in lol

Will share photos once I get going
what other uses could you make of it? is it just going to be like the new generation of radio-controlled cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
You work for IS or something?
just in charge of the instagram account

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
Roo Stercogburn (28-07-2015)
Old 28-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
what other uses could you make of it?
What do you mean? Uses? It's a toy and I just wanna fly it... Don't really need the 1st person view right from the start...

The only "use" I might have for it other than fun would be making cool videos once I have the cameras for it.

Quote:
is it just going to be like the new generation of radio-controlled cars?
Yeah pretty much I suppose. Check this out:

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
Lug (28-07-2015)
Old 28-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
Lug
Soxdix

i dunno... transport your letters to your ma on christmas, bring you kids back from school, attend social get togethers that you'd rather skip

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Thanks to Lug
purplefish (03-08-2015)
Old 28-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
i dunno... transport your letters to your ma on christmas, bring you kids back from school, attend social get togethers that you'd rather skip
I suppose... That would no longer be fun though... I already have enough work to attend to. I just wanna fly fast and die crashing lol

Edit: Here's another cool one:

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
Lug (28-07-2015)
Old 28-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #13
Lug
Soxdix

these videos look pretty cool. Looks like it's cool for exploring places. I figure you can control them from a very long distance?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 28-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quote:
these videos look pretty cool. Looks like it's cool for exploring places. I figure you can control them from a very long distance?
Yeah. One of the resons these are pretty cool. Going to Teneriffe in Novermber and thinking it would be really cool for coastal video shots! Racing down cliffs etc.
Depends on your remote and receiver I suppose. Up to around 2 km I suppose.
You have to remember though that these models are made for racing. They leave out stuff that other drones have such as flight stabilizers and other features that make the flying easier. So it's almost completely manual control on these. No automatic straight hovering when you let go of the controls.

------------------
Old 29-07-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

OK I think I'm going to buy this kit:

http://n-factory.de/onlineshop/Mini-...250-Bausatz-V2

Not sure which remote I'll get yet but I think I'll start with a cheapish one so I might be able to afford the FPV headset right from the start.

Getting excited. Will probably also get a few spare props and motors as I'll probably trash some while learning to fly and don't want to have to wait for replacements to arrive...

Quote:
I actually thought somehow adding IR sensors and little IR "guns" could be pretty fun.

Laser Tag drone dogfights!

------------------
Old 29-07-2015, 01:44 PM   #16
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I need this plus VR

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel
UNDERGROUND FPV DRONE RACING IS THE GEEK SPORT OF THE FUTURE

The vr is the whole point in fpv (first person view) racing. Without it you are pretty limited to where you can fly due to line of sight. However, don't be fooled by the HD vids as they are recorded with a separate cam. The goggles only display standard pal/ntsc so the resolution is only around 640x480. This limitation is due to bandwidth and lag and will hopefully be overcome in the future.
I know there are drones that stream HD video (like the ones from parot) but they fly slower and have flight assistants... These go 50km/h+ and are flown completely manually

------------------
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #18
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Quick update:

I ordered all the parts apart from the actual drone kit which was sold out but will be available again middle of this week. It's a bit of a hassle as some aprts are only available (or much cheaper) through chinese sites, of which some have a european warehouse in which they have some of the parts in stock...

And since no vendor had all the parts I needed I now have 6 or 7 different orders. Most of the stuff is coming from somewhere in Europe but 3 orders are coming from China so it will most likely take 2-3 weeks for the stuff to arrive and then I have to hope I don't have to pay too much import taxes...

Will post updates as parts arrive and I start building the drone

------------------
Old 03-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Lug
Soxdix

wait, you need to order each part from different vendors?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Old 03-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #20
professurreal
IDMf Artist
at the end of the tunnel

Well yeah , there are shops that will sell you the parts together or even build them for you but these drones are mainly DIY. There are several companies that make frames, engines, rotors, flight controllers, which again run different firmware, most of it open source. You choose the remote you want, the cameras, receivers, transmitters. Then you need the battery packs, charger, straps to tie them to the drone, cable ties, possibly LEDs. You also have to solder most the cables and contact pins onto the electric boards.
A lot of these parts are mainly made in China or cost a lot more anywhere else.
As you can see this is mainly a hobby for people that like to build stuff as well as fly it. Even if you buy a fully built drone you will have to be able to repair things as you crash, which supposedly happens quite frequently, especially in the beginning. Luckily though the frames are meant to be pretty sturdy so the parts that break most often are the rotors and motors...

Edit:

See I want buy this kit when it is available again:

http://n-factory.de/onlineshop/Mini-...ithout-control

On top of that I had to order the following:

-remote
-receiver for the remote
-transmitter for the remote
-fpv camera and transmitter
-fpv goggles and receiver
-battery packs (4: 1 for the remote and 3 for the drone because they only last 8-12 mins)
-charger for the battery packs
-plugs and cables to connect the batteries to the charger and to the power distribution board
-strap to fasten the battery pack to the drone
-some extra screws and stuff to solder
-extra propellers so I can fly for longer than a few mins

I'm probably even still missing stuff in this list... Luckily I have some people helping me out as I'm still a beginner at building this stuff myself (I have previously soldered when I fucked around with micro controllers a bit but my experience is rather limited).

Last edited by professurreal; 03-08-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to professurreal
Lug (03-08-2015)