[FAWM] relic's FAWM choons
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-02-2014, 03:31 AM   #1
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8506630
Thanked 6,314 Times in 4,535 Posts
[FAWM] relic's FAWM choons

Hey everyone,

Going to be posting all my FAWM tunes in the OP of this thread. In general I'm focusing on arrangement/composition and creative aspects. Any good mixing is totally by accident ;p

For some of the tunes looking into Reggae arrangements and playing around with that form. These tunes are kind an OST for a short story I am working on which can be found here: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

#1 Milligrams:
This is intended for the opening part of the story:

#2 Yellow Death Afternoon:

This is for an unwritten part of the story in which a storm slowly builds outside the narrator's apartment and eventually the very edge of a tornado comes past his building. Its more focused on that eerie calm before the bad part hits. Arrangement needs work. Might be too samey?

Last edited by relic; 02-03-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: [FAWM] relic's FAWM choons

I really like this. I think it's one of the better pieces I've heard from you in a while actually. Atmosphere is great, very dark and, I dunno, brooding type feel to it. Mix sounds relatively decent too. I really love the drum patterns, especially some of the kick patterns. Drums are nice and broken, as per your usual style, yet held together enough to have something to grab onto.

My favorite thing though is that modulated synth thing that almost sounds like you glitched it or something. Strings are a nice touch too.

When you told me you were going raggae the other day I wasn't expecting this. I mean I wasn't expecting bob marley either, don't get me wrong, but not this. Welcome surprise actually.

Great work.

Last edited by RFJ; 02-02-2014 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thanks man. This is probably not very Reggae ish. It started out more Reggae ish..mbut I just let it do its thing Inlike to think the bass line is holding down the basic rhythm and melody and there is a bit of a offbeatness to one of the sounds. That glitched out sound is Alchemy...lots of shit going on there. I modified a preset. I changed the source sounds and tweaked the modulation.

The beat is using triplet hi hats and trillet kick drums. I honestly couldnt explain why it works. After I nudged my hats around the triplet grid I added some kicks w the grid on 8t and it sounded good so I went w it.

------------------
Old 02-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3060

I posted on Souncloud, but I think that I can post something here. I like the sounds a lot in this song. The percussions sound really low fi and sort of odd to me. This reminds me of a Kromestar or Distance track from his album Repurcussions - has that industrial feel (industrial as in gritty and metallic, not the genre).

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40812

post the story with the song later!

EDIT: pls o.o

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 68860
Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,026 Posts

i like alot of the variations in this, I can only imagine what your story will be like with something like this filling out a part :u

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Sounds like Distance or Kromestar? Dude, that is like the best compliment I have gotten in a while : ) Many thanks.
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Yes, I will upload a PDF of the version of the story I have at some point today. Check this thread.

@Tree-Sap-Skrillex: Um. Yes. The story is probably not what anyone is expecting. Or if I did my job with the music, maybe it is!

------------------
Thanks to relic
Wulfsok (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #8
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/¯¯¯¯¯\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Hmm - you got a nice structure to this track & given me some inspiration . Those stretched out sounds fit real nice with the feel of the track...and dat bass is blissful. Did you jam any of this out on yer hardware?
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
stem collector
IDMf Artist
stem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MCstem collector is a savage MC
seattle
MC Status: 74604610
Thanked 1,234 Times in 854 Posts

ok i really like those horns(?) pushed way in the back as well as those acoustic drums also pushed back. very cool atmospheric mixing

------------------
stem collector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
Hmm - you got a nice structure to this track & given me some inspiration . Those stretched out sounds fit real nice with the feel of the track...and dat bass is blissful. Did you jam any of this out on yer hardware?
The drums are Maschine. Always : ) So. Yes, I played a lot of this in and quantized it. The bass I noodled out on midi keys (programed with Mopho). That metallic stab in the background is the MicroBrute.

------------------
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 155260
Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,311 Posts

Yeah..I agree with what RFJ said..not what I expected it to be, but a great track all the same. Nice work, dude. Can't really offer much in the way of feedback on this, as most bases have been covered already by the looks of it (..bit late to the party on this..sorry.)

Anyway, can't wait to hear where you go from here with the next track.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

track number two up...maybe not as solid as the first...details in the OP

------------------
Old 02-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #13
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3060

I like the second song, although a bit repetitive. It definitely sounds like a soundtrack to me. Reminds me of someone sitting in his or her house and pondering what to do. Kind of has an interloper feel, like something is going bad. Maybe you should add a pad or something in the middle of the song to sort of pull things together.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1526727
Thanked 1,770 Times in 1,147 Posts

Milligrams. Great lofi cinematic vibe happening. I want to hear a big verb in this tune somewhere, but that's what I say about everything.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644068
Thanked 4,896 Times in 3,160 Posts

RE: Yellow Death: Not sure how these comments are supposed to go being as it's such a short period of time making the track. But...

Liked the first one a little better than this one I must admit. And I agree, maybe it is a bit samey. But with the imagery of a storm building and coming closer this does fit. Little mud in the bass, but again, I understand the process here is much different than what you would do normally.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #16
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Yeah..liked the second track as well as the first. Easy to see where these will fit in story-wise from what you've said.. And CD's comment about the second maybe having a pad in the mix sounds good to me..might help build the tension in the piece.

------------------
Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 AM   #17
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40812

i started reading it but cant seem to escape the superbowl just yet

so far theres a lot of imagery. it reminds me of jd sallenger (if thats how you spell it)

i cant seem to put a finger on the perspective.. its first person, but very matter of fact and all knowing. sort of like youre (the reader) judging reality through the jaded eyes of a presumptiuos person

gotta finish it once everyone stops screaming every 5 minutes

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Wulfsok
relic (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #18
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfsok View Post
i started reading it but cant seem to escape the superbowl just yet

so far theres a lot of imagery. it reminds me of jd sallenger (if thats how you spell it)

i cant seem to put a finger on the perspective.. its first person, but very matter of fact and all knowing. sort of like youre (the reader) judging reality through the jaded eyes of a presumptiuos person

gotta finish it once everyone stops screaming every 5 minutes
Thanks for taking the time to read some of it. I am fulley aware it is probably not at all what people think when I call it a short story. Poetry is actually more my bag when it comes to writing so you might even read this as a long poem as well.

I think you are picking up on the perspective well enough though, so happy about that.

Anyway, cheers man.

------------------
Old 02-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read some of it. I am fulley aware it is probably not at all what people think when I call it a short story. Poetry is actually more my bag when it comes to writing so you might even read this as a long poem as well.

I think you are picking up on the perspective well enough though, so happy about that.

Anyway, cheers man.
WT..?? Did I miss something here? Prose by the bard Relic, no less! Pray tell, kind sir..where does one procure such finery..and how fuckth I missed it so?

------------------
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMechanics View Post
WT..?? Did I miss something here? Prose by the bard Relic, no less! Pray tell, kind sir..where does one procure such finery..and how fuckth I missed it so?
I edited the OP and included a dropbox link. If there were a reading booth I would tag this [experimental]

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (02-03-2014)