Syntorial
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 13-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18023919
Syntorial

my latest KVR newsletter lead me to this nice little synthesis tutorial software.

i watched the video and i really wish this was around when i was first learning synthesis, so i thought i would share it with those of you who can make use of it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Automageddon (05-02-2014)
Old 14-12-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
snorie
Minor Glitch
snorie will become famous soon enoughsnorie will become famous soon enough
New Jersey
MC Status: 110
Re: Syntorial

I checked out the demo a while back, and it was actually really interesting. I'm thinking of buying it soon to fine tune the skill of actually analyzing sounds.
snorie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
RottenToTheGore
Minor Glitch
RottenToTheGore has a spectacular aura aboutRottenToTheGore has a spectacular aura about
Maryland
MC Status: 161

I'm only a few sections in so far, but I highly reccomend this for anyone learning synthesis.

Not only do you get to learn about each part and how it works, but then they drill it into your brain with practice. Watch a video, try it yourself, try and tweak it to the examples, a quiz about it, and then they have you use the knowledge in a synth of your choice.

Even getting the examples wrong still lets you learn, as you get to hear the difference when fixing it.
RottenToTheGore is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #4
Daxy
Regular Freak
Daxy is currently spamming hard
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
MC Status: 10

Well this is interesting. I'm nowhere near advanced enough to the point that I need to worry about creating my own sounds from the ground up, but when I do get to that point, this should definitely come in handy.
Daxy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:05 PM   #5
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch
wierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I have bought it year ago. I must say this is a must if you want to make your own sounds in future also it train your ears to understand other artist approach on synthesis and I will be honest it teaches me how to steal lot of great synth sounds of my favorite producers. It has a great HUD, simple to understand, learning curve is perfect. If you everthing you told you can learn any of your fav synths just in couple weeks. I review it as 9/10 cuz It covers only analog.
wierdsnow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Julian Jonah - It's A Jungle Out There (Soho Dub) Knuckles & Morales - 1990
Old 05-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269448058
Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,693 Posts

Albeit I already know a bit about synthesis, I'm trying the demo and enjoying it.

------------------
Automageddon is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
relic (06-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960

This should be mentioned in the beginners stickies

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

this looks really interesting, i'll probably get the demo when i have the time

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch
wierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the roughwierdsnow is a jewel in the rough

also guys if you love this and find this useful, buy it? Also it would be great if some company could make a mixing application that trains your ears and teaches you fundamentals for this craft. I find it possible despite the fact that every song is mixed differently.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Zloin
Learning The Ropes
Zloin will become famous soon enoughZloin will become famous soon enough

I learned the basics in synthesizis a year ago with different tutorials. But nothing teaches you to actually listen to all the small details step by step like Syntorial does. I've become much more present-minded and open-eared when crafting a new patch with my Virus. It helped me a lot understanding my synth and I've only reached about 20% of courses.

I would highly recommend it to everyone who feels a little insecure in sounddesign.
Zloin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519380
Thanked 6,569 Times in 4,688 Posts

For those who bought it: Its quite pricey, how in depth does it go? I know what most basic synth functions do theoretically, but sound design is one of my weaker points. I signed up for a Groove3 subscription it has some decent tutorials. Most of the synthesis tutorials are about specific synths though, not just synthesis in general. Groove3 does have a bunch of mixing tutorials BTW.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #12
glideros
Analog Lurker
glideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

This takes me back to seeing guitar speed trainer software a few years ago. I can't justify buying this right now, I'll be sticking to my manuals and try to get better at making synths myself. Would pick it up if it was maybe half-price.
glideros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glideros View Post
This takes me back to seeing guitar speed trainer software a few years ago. I can't justify buying this right now, I'll be sticking to my manuals and try to get better at making synths myself. Would pick it up if it was maybe half-price.
Depending on the depth of the course I wouldnt be bothered by 129 too much. As I said I subscribed to Groove3 ...glad I went that route insted of paying 30+ dollars for individual downloads...a lot of the tutorials are good but super basic.

------------------
Old 07-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #14
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18023919

i forgot about this, i was going to try the demo out but didnt get around to it. seems that people are liking it.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:43 AM   #15
glideros
Analog Lurker
glideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Depending on the depth of the course I wouldnt be bothered by 129 too much.
I'm not saying it's at a bad price point... I am just not willing to spend that much on it right now after making a couple of big purchases recently. I will definitely try out the demo, though.
glideros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:28 PM   #16
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Depending on the depth of the course I wouldnt be bothered by 129 too much. As I said I subscribed to Groove3 ...glad I went that route insted of paying 30+ dollars for individual downloads...a lot of the tutorials are good but super basic.
I have groove3 subs. too yeah It is a great system to learn production. but It is not interactive. you see synthorial makes you do things together with a lesson that is always faster method to learn. I think if you love to learn and you have loads of cash you should get both For dummies or lazy people I recommend Synthorial.
Thanks to wierdsnow
relic (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
davidgericke
Granular Poster
davidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura aboutdavidgericke has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Awesome, The Dance Music Manual is also pretty good. he take you through the different sound design techniques for different types of music. Although i really like how interactive this is. Will give the demo a go
davidgericke is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #18
Zloin
Learning The Ropes
Zloin will become famous soon enoughZloin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For those who bought it: Its quite pricey, how in depth does it go? I know what most basic synth functions do theoretically, but sound design is one of my weaker points. I signed up for a Groove3 subscription it has some decent tutorials. Most of the synthesis tutorials are about specific synths though, not just synthesis in general. Groove3 does have a bunch of mixing tutorials BTW.
I think the crucial difference to other synth tutorial is that synthorial doesn't focus deeply on the physical aspect or theoretical part of synthesis. It's much more practical oriented by training your ear and showing you how to achieve the sounds you hear (or have in mind). Just try out the demo. I think all the topics that are discussed are listed on the website.

Last edited by Zloin; 08-02-2014 at 01:04 PM..
Zloin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Zloin
relic (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
wierdsnow
Minor Glitch

Off-topic: well someone speak up who has some nasty synthesis lessions out there

And On topic. Yea it is PRACTICAL. And this a fastest way to get into the art. And yea I also agree people should check the site for more great information.
Thanks to wierdsnow
relic (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #20
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdsnow View Post
Off-topic: well someone speak up who has some nasty synthesis lessions out there

And On topic. Yea it is PRACTICAL. And this a fastest way to get into the art. And yea I also agree people should check the site for more great information.
Yes. Of course fellas. I did look at the site, but all that has is their marketing, they are going to make it sound as positive as possible. I was curious what people's actual experience with it was.

And yea, I will try the demo for sure before I buy, but again, the demo may be pretty far from the reallity of the product.

I like the idea that it is practical rather than theoretical. I have several books filled with that stuff : )

Advertisements

------------------