The best way to get brilliant quality strings?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Paraxidor
Microknight
Paraxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310
The best way to get brilliant quality strings?

Without actually going out and hiring a complete orchestra, what's the best bet?

Advertisements

Paraxidor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3060
Re: The best way to get brilliant quality strings?

I bet Sytrus has a lot of strings in it... You can always look at native instruments, but those strings cost a lot. A lot of synths have good string sounds also.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #3
Paraxidor
Microknight
Paraxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the roughParaxidor is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphexbeats View Post
I bet Sytrus has a lot of strings in it... You can always look at native instruments, but those strings cost a lot. A lot of synths have good string sounds also.
Ahh reminds me of when I started producing about a year ago, used nothing but sytrus and 3xosc presets.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Evelon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214387348
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,736 Posts

Expensive and heavy sample libraries (eastwest, Vienna symphonic library, symphobia, etc).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
mister_crow
Soundwave Mangler
mister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond reputemister_crow has a reputation beyond repute
A tree in Verulamium
MC Status: 2210

The best string effect I've ever got is by splitting up the chords I wanted into about 5 different synths, all with velocity variation and subtle overdrive automation. All of them were based off sytrus and other FL synth presets. However, it just sounded like a better electronic version of a string section than a preset called "string section". If you want really good strings, I believe the best way is an expensive sample library.

There's also the physical modelling approach. Image Line's Sakura seems to be ideal for this kind of thing, but I really don't like the way its bowed strings sound to be honest. I've only started using Boing2 recently, but it's certainly an interesting take on the physical modelling of bowed strings, with lots of random variation built in.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Learn! About the lizard men controlling our lives! Hear! Some music I made! See! A waveform steadily becoming a slightly different grey! Coming to a forum post near you soon.
https://soundcloud.com/mister_crow/entities-wip
http://mistercrow.bandcamp.com/album/to-ep
mister_crow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
electrodevo
Granular Poster
electrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MCelectrodevo is a savage MC
MC Status: 28451

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_crow View Post
However, it just sounded like a better electronic version of a string section than a preset called "string section". If you want really good strings, I believe the best way is an expensive sample library.
True, unfortunately top notch sounding strings take a lot of programming and multilayering to do. My favorite of the bunch is Cinematic Strings 2 but at $500 it's not exactly cheap! Neither is Spitfire Albion, which tends to be my orchestral library recommendation (even though it's still expensive at roughly the same price) because it contains a bit of everything.

Sampling libraries are getting real good at a realistic legato string sound, but unfortunately I find them lacking when imitating any sort of modestly quick run.

One nice thing I like about Cinematic Strings is that, by default, it forces you monophonic in four divisions (Violin, Viola, Cello, Bass). This is the way you *should* write a string section -- in separate parts, that will be "mostly" monophonic. (Orchestral scores *do* have chords sometimes, but rarely are there double-stop parts... chords are typically handled "divisi" style by dividing the strings who plays what note among the players of the section. This really isn't emulated well by most libraries, either.)

There is a tendency for us piano players to use block chords on strings, which makes things sound like a keyboard. Even with a not-so-nice sounding orchestra sample set, I feel it will sound rather more realistic if you actually write like one would for an orchestra.

------------------
BC|SC
electrodevo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #7
chiquor
Minor Glitch
chiquor will become famous soon enough
HAWAII
MC Status: 60

I've found that some of the best elec music uses strings that are real, but not too "real". The strings supplied in for instance omnisphere I feel do more than adequate job for electronic music. Remember, we are not trying to recreate an orchestra... or maybe we are. I like that bit of difference one could tell if listened back to back b/w real strings and the artificial. Anyway, some cheap and good artificials have excellent sampling. In all honesty, its pretty hard to tell the diff nowadays for most people.
chiquor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

East West products if you got the money.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to neyus
aeoR (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Expensive and heavy sample libraries (eastwest, Vienna symphonic library, symphobia, etc).
These for sure but well worth the cost if you can swing it.Miroslav Philharmonik if you do not want to spend too much and still have a good sound.Heck even Nexus has a decent sounding string.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
These for sure but well worth the cost if you can swing it.Miroslav Philharmonik if you do not want to spend too much and still have a good sound.Heck even Nexus has a decent sounding string.
Nexus is awesome! I used to use that when I used Fl studio. I wouldn't pay $200+ for it now, but I would definitely second that post.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Aphexbeats
Str8Jaketed (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraxidor View Post
Without actually going out and hiring a complete orchestra, what's the best bet?
You could hire a small part of a orchestra and record it a couple of times

The Skyrim theme song was actually made this way (a relatively small choir recorded multiple times for multiple lines).

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
The Skyrim theme song was actually made this way (a relatively small choir recorded multiple times for multiple lines).
it wasn't that small ... as I recall
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
it wasn't that small ... as I recall
Yeah... just 30 men

Olafur Arnalds once did the same with a small orchestra

Not sure if it is really doable in a smaller setting, but I find it an interesting idea.

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019226

well just you alone can do quite an amazing job with multiple takes and a few effects like detuning, phaser/chorus... if you go up and take 2 friends with you, you can make a quite nice feel

but back to strings, really, I think any somewhat decent set would do, all you really need then is properly EQ and have a good reverg plug-in, and no one will ever notice

I have the Colossus (now Goliath) set from EWQL and back in the days when I made my first symphony kind of track, it sounded fake, like a crap midi instrument because it had no reverb and inadequate tail, badly mixed.. it makes a whole lot of difference how you use a specific sound and what you do with it post-process-wise

you know.. the way you make it.. complexier ...............................
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #15
Paraxidor
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
You could hire a small part of a orchestra and record it a couple of times

Well I dont exactly have my hands on any orchestral instruments at all haha

------------------
Mediocre electronic music from an unknown guy on the internet, what's new?
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
Vinc2
Learning The Ropes
Vinc2 will become famous soon enough
Annecy
MC Status: 60

Miroslav Strings is a good Refill for Reason.

For Cubase, my favourite VST is EWQL Symphonic Orchestra.
Vinc2 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
Sound Knight
Radial Developer
Sound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud ofSound Knight has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1410

Google VSL vst, I think you will find what you are looking for.
Think Evelon mentioned earlier by it's full name: vienna symphonic library
But 'best' is subjective my friend.

------------------
Deep House sounds from the merky Belfast underground:
https://soundcloud.com/sound-knight
Sound Knight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
Ironpaw
Regular Freak
Ironpaw is a jewel in the roughIronpaw is a jewel in the roughIronpaw is a jewel in the rough
Kyoto, Japan
MC Status: 260

try sampling movie soundtracks.

i once got some good results from stacking several of the same hans zimmer samples on top of each other. it was a little messy, but i figure that a little EQ could change that.

Last edited by Ironpaw; 10-26-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Ironpaw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #19
hellscion
Banned
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357023

a lot of traditional acoustic instruments produce very simple tones..that is why they work so well in numbers of like 30 together..

one thing that is important for getting this sound with synthesis is proper use of 'reverb' to emulate the body of a traditional string instrument. maybe 2 in a chain so you have the small box inside of a larger one..

and i'm not going to tell anyone how to use the ADSR filter envelope..
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #20
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscion View Post

and i'm not going to tell anyone how to use the ADSR filter envelope..
Why not..damn man your mean..!...

To be honest it really depends on teh context of what you are wanting to do..is this for a film score,Game...track....depending on the application you can help us shorten your list..You will mostly find things that have to do with our fun friend Kontakt.
There really are so many choices out there all shapes and sizes and flavors..all depends on your needs..

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

The best way to get brilliant quality strings? Tags
models