A question about the CC licence IDMF netlabel music is released under
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
MC Status: 52987903
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts
A question about the CC licence IDMF netlabel music is released under

Right, I was wondering if anyone connected to the netlabel could anser this, are all IDMF releases released under the same, atribution, non comercial, share alike CC licence?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to start promoting music from the net label to amature film makers in the longboarding world as a genuine alternative to using copyright infringing material.

Advertisements

Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kaede
lolirl (23-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Benwaa
Re: A question about the CC licence IDMF netlabel music is released under

Shit, I knew I'd forgotten something. Anyway, as long as there isn't a commercial usage if the music and the labell and relevant artist are credited then its all good
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC

Awesome, thanks for getting back to me Ben... one final question, would commercial usage apply if a sponsored rider put together an edit. This kind of think is always free to view on you tube or vimeo, but the rider is essentially repping and promoting any companies who've given them gear.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa

Actually if you could PM me an email address I can let you give what ever I write a once over before I get it put online
Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Benwaa

no commercial usage whatsoever - that would require a license from the label - ie they'd have to make a donation/pay to license it. At the end of the day if someone makes money from idmf music that isn't the artists or label to be able to put it back into the label/artists then they should contribute something i feel is the right thing
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Benwaa
lolirl (23-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa

I thought that would be the case, but it's better to check first. The next question is if a sponsored rider/company wanted to use a track, how much of a donation/licence fee would you be looking at? Or would it entirely depend on usage... someone who gets the odd bit of gear from companies wouldn't pay as much as a major skate company to use a piece of music.

Sorry to bombard you with questions Ben... But I want to get my facts straight first
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Benwaa

i's all goo. it really does indeed depend on the usage/intended usage. I mean if it was on a youtube channel that only got a couple of hundred views then meh, but if it gets onto a tv... it's hard to say how much without knowing the exact intended use
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa

99% of longboarding media is on the web anyway... though videos put out by major companies can get a tens of thousands of views, people just putting out edits is usually a lot less. I think it would be simpler if I write something and then check with you rather than bugging you like this. I have a fair idea of how to work it now
Old 04-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Benwaa

Cool just pm me when you're sorted and well work it out. I promise I'll reply quicker this time too!
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

While this thread is here.. I might as well ask about the license too..
I'm curious about it. Because I release all my music for free on my own website and I think my intentions for the use of my music are pretty similar to the intentions of the idmf label. But im not actually sure about the differences between the creative commons license I whacked up on my site and this one.. though they appear to be different.
I intended for my license to allow anyone to distribute unmodified or modified work for free in any way. And also for people to profit off versions of the work in their own work. But not to allow people to sell just the music by itself digitally or physically.. or pretend to be me.

I thought this is what I chose actually.. and it looks like what you have. But seems we have different licenses D:

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
www.zhenhir.com ( streaming player )
| Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
///n||h||i||r/|>>/endspam
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheNhir View Post
While this thread is here.. I might as well ask about the license too..
I'm curious about it. Because I release all my music for free on my own website and I think my intentions for the use of my music are pretty similar to the intentions of the idmf label. But im not actually sure about the differences between the creative commons license I whacked up on my site and this one.. though they appear to be different.
I intended for my license to allow anyone to distribute unmodified or modified work for free in any way. And also for people to profit off versions of the work in their own work. But not to allow people to sell just the music by itself digitally or physically.. or pretend to be me.

I thought this is what I chose actually.. and it looks like what you have. But seems we have different licenses D:
Honestly, just check the official creative commons website. Sounds like you want CC BY or CC BY-SA. Although from my reading neither say anything about re-selling the unmodified work. Actually I don't really see one that covers all your bases.

Or you can use this: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
ZheNhir
Knob Twiddler
ZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant futureZheNhir has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

I did use this.. I must've done something wrong.
Is there a way I can contact the place and try to modify it further like Negativland did back in the day?
It's what to put when it says "Let people make commercial use of my music" where I get confused because it's not a yes or no answer even though it is really mostly yes.
I want people to be able to use it in any commercial production, except for government or anti-piracy/military ads.. which need my personal approval or will never be approved fucking ever the scumbags respectively.
That's a weirdly specific license D:
Maybe I should check out the Negativland one it's pretty similar I just don't have the same cynicism about traditional corporate advertising, it's not exactly film but as far as i'm concerned it's a good way to get yr music out and an artform in itself if it's used right.

------------------
>>//z||h||e>>
www.zhenhir.com ( streaming player )
| Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud
Ding from FWZD(AEF)
///n||h||i||r/|>>/endspam
ZheNhir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheNhir View Post
I did use this.. I must've done something wrong.
Is there a way I can contact the place and try to modify it further like Negativland did back in the day?
It's what to put when it says "Let people make commercial use of my music" where I get confused because it's not a yes or no answer even though it is really mostly yes.
I want people to be able to use it in any commercial production, except for government or anti-piracy/military ads.. which need my personal approval or will never be approved fucking ever the scumbags respectively.
That's a weirdly specific license D:
Maybe I should check out the Negativland one it's pretty similar I just don't have the same cynicism about traditional corporate advertising, it's not exactly film but as far as i'm concerned it's a good way to get yr music out and an artform in itself if it's used right.
You'll probably just have to check their website and see how to contact them.. What I would do instead of modifying one of the CC licenses is go with "no commercial use" then on your website state that you'll make exceptions on a case by case basis and they need to contact you.

Last edited by relic; 24-09-2013 at 02:27 PM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
brn20
brn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MCbrn20 is a savage MC
London
MC Status: 73802473
Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,191 Posts

The reason for that is probably that the point of the CC licence is to have a free and easy to use universal licence. The trouble you're talking about comes across issues like the differences between the original and its modified form, and what constitutes modification. There is no doubt loads of case law on whether making small changes constitutes a new artistic work, and whether it would be covered or not, and that case law will differ from country to country.

So I'd do what relic said.

Advertisements

------------------
brn20 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote