Deep house - does anyone use vocals a lot
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 27-01-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
lazuraymusic
IDMf's latest spammer
lazuraymusic is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Deep house - does anyone use vocals a lot

Does anyone use vocals a lot with house, deep house in particular?

I am working on deep house songs with a intro verse 1 chorus verse 2 etc format. I want them to have full vocal phrases. Does anyone have any advice on how to write the vocal parts or how they learned to? I keep thinking my vocals are too fast but I have definitely heard house songs with full lyric phrases that sounded great (I'm thinking Barbara Tucker, MAW).

Advertisements

lazuraymusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 27110
Re: Deep house - does anyone use vocals a lot

I do a predominantly house style of music and I don't bother writing vocals for it. I've been thinking about using some samples or ploguespeech to insert some generic phrases, but not looking to do poetry over my beats or anything.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
AudioJunky
Knob Twiddler
AudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to beholdAudioJunky is a splendid one to behold
Johannesburg
MC Status: 781

Yes I use vocals all the time, I do some instrumentals once in a while. But mostly my music has full vocals.

Usually the singer writes the lyrics and I might help them but some don't even need my help.

I learned by listening to other house music songs, listened to how they arrange and try to achieve the same but with a little twist to keep my stuff original not straight copy and paste.

Sometimes I use ideas from 3 different songs and put them into 1 song. But be careful when it comes to working with vocalists. Always remember, "singers don't know what you want" you have to guide them throughout the whole process.

Another good technique is to take a popular acapella then work on it as a remix then after remove the vocals and record your own using the acapella as a guideline.

Doing remixes for other record labels and producers can also teach you a lot.

Hope that helps.

------------------
AudioJunky is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Vault O)))
Buttcase
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54360
Thanked 1,087 Times in 714 Posts

If you find that they're too fast, have you tried not cramming so many words into each bar?

Sadly it's hard to get a feel for what you're talking about without an audio clip of your work. If you posted something like that, you might get better insight into what's going wrong.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 01:16 AM   #5
Brookside_Chase
Minor Glitch
Brookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of lightBrookside_Chase is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

When you mentioned Barbara Tucker and MAW which songs are you talking about. Barbara is a true school diva who has performed on countless songs in the genre and MAW has produced and remixed countless tracks over the years and they continue to work (separately for now) today. When I think of classic Barbara Tucker, I'm thinking of "I Get Lifted."

As to working with vocals and music in general, some of it is intuitive. If you have a sense that something is wrong, then it probably is and you can find a solution to the problem. I know it's more pop than classic house but Billie Ray Martin killed it on Your Loving Arms and that would be a good framework to follow for structuring vocals for house music. Also, Kristine W - One More Try and EBTG - Missing (Todd Terry Mix) I always thought were incredible. Just keep listening and learning. Great vocal classics that some might not know, Kathy Sledge - Heart, Juliet Roberts - Caught In The Middle, Urbanized feat. Silvano - Helpless (this is an absolutely ridiculous classic MAW track that's gone under the radar for years.)
Brookside_Chase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
lazuraymusic
IDMf's latest spammer
lazuraymusic is currently spamming hard

"Everybody Dance" by Barbara Tucker is a house song with vocal arrangements I love.

MAW did a house remix of Neneh Cherry's song "Buddy X" that was fantastic and I like how the vocals were arranged on that.

I am working on the lyrics to my song and I will post it soon when completed.
lazuraymusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #7
Virginboy
IDMf's latest spammer
Virginboy is currently spamming hard
Arizona

I like to sneak vocal samples when I can when I producing stuff like house. Especially pitch shifts when adding the samples is quite fun. I hate the idea of creating a house song AROUND the vocals. I love to chop it up, adds more pizzazz.

Advertisements

Virginboy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote