[Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2016, 04:43 AM   #1
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 38
Posts: 12,989
MC Status: 199644118
Thanks: 4,628
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
[Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

My submission for the now defunct for the good of the label IDMf048. Been just trying to have fun with stuff recently and not take myself so seriously. This is the result. Track is about 15 instances of Serum, 2 instances of Exhale, Kick 2 and various perc samples. This track was loads of fun to make, hope that comes through in the listen. Track was submitted just like this with the exception of additional loudness for playback purposes here.

An Illusion of Movement
October, 2016


Advertisements


------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ.
Old 15-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Oatbag's Avatar
Best Coast
Posts: 4,289
MC Status: 106850
Thanks: 1,405
Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,376 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Haha wow this is different for you. I feel like I've gone back to the 90s or something. Just need a diva vocal on top. Or maybe a white dude fake rapping about his buttocks. I think it's the kick and sound of the synth that makes me feel that way. I used to listen to a lot of "techno" back then. All the Chris Sheppard stuff.

I don't like the change at 3:38 and the silence at 0:36 is a bit too much.

It's fun, and it's cool to play around and do something different but it's kind of like ambient dance music. It's dance-ish, but you wouldn't really dance to it.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #3
Paul Ramone
Learning The Ropes
Paul Ramone is currently spamming hard
Posts: 1
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

first time post. wanted to check out a link in another thread and needed one post to view. this was the first thread i found and clicked. pleasently surprised. i dug your track. you could definitely feel a happiness in it. thanks for it. and letting me use this as a window to future learning
Paul Ramone is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 06:32 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 38
Posts: 12,989
MC Status: 199644118
Thanks: 4,628
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ramone View Post
first time post. wanted to check out a link in another thread and needed one post to view. this was the first thread i found and clicked. pleasently surprised. i dug your track. you could definitely feel a happiness in it. thanks for it. and letting me use this as a window to future learning
Well, glad you found your way to IDMf and to my listening booth thread for your first post / experience with the community we have here. Thanks for the listen man. Lots of solid output in general here in the listening booth section of the forum, have a look around and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Haha wow this is different for you. I feel like I've gone back to the 90s or something. Just need a diva vocal on top. Or maybe a white dude fake rapping about his buttocks. I think it's the kick and sound of the synth that makes me feel that way. I used to listen to a lot of "techno" back then. All the Chris Sheppard stuff.

I don't like the change at 3:38 and the silence at 0:36 is a bit too much.

It's fun, and it's cool to play around and do something different but it's kind of like ambient dance music. It's dance-ish, but you wouldn't really dance to it.
Yeah relic told me this wants a female vocalist. I know one here in town that I've worked with before but she's busy most other times with real life stuff so I usually only pull that card around Christmas time. We're getting together for a session next month actually as soon as I bang out this years arrangement. I much prefer Ambient Dance Music as a genre for this over what I tagged it as and think it's more fitting. If I stick with this style for a bit I'll tag it as such next time for sure.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback man, it's much appreciated.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,101
MC Status: 8538530
Thanks: 10,578
Thanked 6,952 Times in 4,946 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Just thought I'd give this another listen for the hell of it. Still really enjoying this : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
liquid_air's Avatar
Corny
Posts: 2,477
MC Status: 51910
Thanks: 931
Thanked 1,038 Times in 765 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Glad to see a pro submission posted up. Clean professional production, for sure. However, to me, it sounds bland and without discernible character. The arpeggio at 2:40 does little to overcome that, but it's too little too late. It's a bunch of super saws creating an illusion of movement, but never really going anywhere and the percussion is rather unimaginative. I think this sounds rather harsh, but I think we owe it to each other to be candid. To me EDM is about punchy driving energy and, above all, catchy melodies and vocals. Use of Exhale is great, but where is the melodies? Don't shy away from snare tools, risers, and drops. I am sure you can do better!

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 38
Posts: 12,989
MC Status: 199644118
Thanks: 4,628
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Glad to see a pro submission posted up. Clean professional production, for sure.
Thanks for the props on the mix, one of my main goals over the last year is to really focus on putting out as close to a professional clean product I can. I realize I'm not all the way there yet, and there is always room to grow in this regard, but I'm stoked it sounds reasonably "pro" on your playback system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
However, to me, it sounds bland and without discernible character. The arpeggio at 2:40 does little to overcome that, but it's too little too late. It's a bunch of super saws creating an illusion of movement, but never really going anywhere and the percussion is rather unimaginative. I think this sounds rather harsh, but I think we owe it to each other to be candid.
Don't worry about being harsh here. Nobody gets better with a hand job. I won't pretend though like the feedback didn't hit the gut slightly. I won't disagree with anything you've said. Especially in the area of percussion. My problem is I get to about the three week mark of working on something and I start wanting to really just finish it. So I wind up abandoning certain ideas in favor of moving onto the mixing stage. With my next EP or full length release I'll try and make a conscious effort to not do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
To me EDM is about punchy driving energy and, above all, catchy melodies and vocals. Use of Exhale is great, but where is the melodies? Don't shy away from snare tools, risers, and drops. I am sure you can do better!
What I will say is perhaps I shouldn't have marked this EDM. I'm really not trying to do that. I really hate drops, snare rolls, and can barely abide the white noise I threw in this piece. I heard some progressive house I really liked at the beginning of the summer and decided to see what would happen if I changed my style up a bit for a track or two. This is what I came up with but don't foresee me staying with it too long. It's my goal to take what I've learned mixing this style and bring that into what I normally do and perhaps get a blend of both.

Thanks again for the feedback man, much appreciated.


------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
MFXxx's Avatar
My own little world
Posts: 1,587
MC Status: 1837127
Thanks: 656
Thanked 833 Times in 571 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Nice production.. Being honest I know where the need for the female vocalist stems from. It's got an 80's vibe with some great modern timbres...it's almost Eurythmics with the what sounds like Oberheim sounding arps. The first part though (it's Sunday night here and the Mrs is watching X-Factor, someone standing on the stage waiting to sing with a long intro, head down holding mic.

That aside, it's a good track and I think it's kind of been said, the structure feels lacking with direction, which would point to the EDM ears looking for some rises and builds as there are no main vocals or melody to carry the track or break it up. By the 3 min mark I was losing interest and I can understand why you added that change of direction with the track close to that time mark.

At this point Ill say Im a better listener and critique, than production musician [cant hide from my soundcloud] so hats off to you

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
Kaede's Avatar
Posts: 2,084
MC Status: 52987903
Thanks: 1,020
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Listened to this 3 times in a row now and I really like it. reminds me of late 90s early 00s epic house/trance but with a slightly more modern sound. It's not a peak time track, more something that you could use to build a set with, which you don't get with a lot of EDM these days.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
RFJ's Avatar
I live in California.
Age: 38
Posts: 12,989
MC Status: 199644118
Thanks: 4,628
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Nice production.. Being honest I know where the need for the female vocalist stems from. It's got an 80's vibe with some great modern timbres...it's almost Eurythmics with the what sounds like Oberheim sounding arps. The first part though (it's Sunday night here and the Mrs is watching X-Factor, someone standing on the stage waiting to sing with a long intro, head down holding mic.

That aside, it's a good track and I think it's kind of been said, the structure feels lacking with direction, which would point to the EDM ears looking for some rises and builds as there are no main vocals or melody to carry the track or break it up. By the 3 min mark I was losing interest and I can understand why you added that change of direction with the track close to that time mark.

At this point Ill say Im a better listener and critique, than production musician [cant hide from my soundcloud] so hats off to you
Thanks for the feedback here man. Yeah seems to be the general consensus that it needs more in terms of melody and ear candy. I thought the pitched vocal synth that is there was enough to carry it, perhaps not.

I actually tried putting some type of more focused melody in a few times but I found it to conflict with the pitched vocals I mentioned. I'm always concerned that something is going to be too busy, get cluttered and muddy, and try and have the mix in mind above all else when composing. Perhaps I was too concerned with that type of stuff with this one, which lead to it being a little sparse.

Thanks for the listen man and the solid feedback is much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaede View Post
Listened to this 3 times in a row now and I really like it. reminds me of late 90s early 00s epic house/trance but with a slightly more modern sound. It's not a peak time track, more something that you could use to build a set with, which you don't get with a lot of EDM these days.
Cool! Glad you liked the track enough to give it a few listens. Yeah, not a peak time track for sure. Glad to hear it has a modern sound to your ears. That's pretty much what I was going for, only without all the annoying bits of modern that I find, in quite a few modern dance-type tracks.


------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 01:04 AM   #11
Kaede
Imperator Furiosa
Kaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MCKaede is a savage MC
Kaede's Avatar
Posts: 2,084
MC Status: 52987903
Thanks: 1,020
Thanked 1,115 Times in 647 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

I'm listening again, and I think it's really being under appreciated, there are some fantastic little touches - the little cuts before bringing the beat in for one - and if I was still DJing I'd be asking if you could do an extended version just to give me more room to mix it. All the sounds work really well together, it has great movement and tension and despite the fact i've not DJ'd in a decade I can see in my head just where and how I'd use it in a set.
Kaede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #12
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
sbj's Avatar
Copenhagen
Posts: 488
MC Status: 6610
Thanks: 50
Thanked 132 Times in 81 Posts
Re: [Electronic Dance Music] IDMf048 An Illusion of Movement - RFJ

I think you did a great job with this one.

Very danceable and uplifting track. And opposite many other tracks in this genre you avoid that everything is way too loud and trying to take the focus all at the same time. Very tasteful production in my opinion.

Advertisements


------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-dance Electronic Music benirose Music Scene Chat 36 16-07-2014 06:53 AM
Electronic Dance Music Writer / Blogger limb Music Scene Chat 2 26-07-2013 04:44 PM
Electronic Dance Music - What does this mean to you? LostHorizon Music Scene Chat 10 05-10-2012 01:56 AM
Masters Student, studying Electronic Dance Music LostHorizon Introduce Yourself 1 04-10-2012 12:49 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.