[House] Valk - Dilation
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 03-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110
Icon14 [Experimental] Valk - Dilation

This was a lost-in-the-cracks submission to the last IDMf Community Compilation,
I'm trying out some new sound styles and like how this one turned out and i'd appreciate your critique

Last edited by Valk; 04-10-2016 at 05:56 AM..

Advertisements

Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [House] Valk - Dilation.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #2
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20910
Re: [House] Valk - Dilation

This wasn't bad, I thought the bass sounded great. It moved along, didn't bore me, and didn't go on for too long. I'm not sure house is the right label for this, but I'm not really one to judge, many of the genre distinctions in electronic music are beyond me. All I would say is if this was supposed to be house/dance music, then it never really opened up and stuck to a rhythm enough to be dance-able to. If you did that and used what you have already as an intro/breakdown, that would be more house-y in my mind.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Sonar
Analog Lurker
Sonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of lightSonar is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

The track is rather experimental and doesn't fall into House category for me. 0:19, 0:36... moments like this make the song difficult to follow, but maybe that is what you were trying to achieve.
Sonar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 AM   #4
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute

You both make valid points - not danceable at all so I changed the genre tag, I didn't feel which genre I picked would be important but it really is as it helps form an opinion - that aside, the rhythms I went for are influenced by local South African house music which has totally different vibes to international house music - off beat is the new on-beat in Kwaito and its related genres

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Yeah I have no idea what genre of music i'm making at the moment but the sticky said put a genre in a squares, so I did

I thought this was one of my more cohesive songs, thank you for putting me on track again
I'll try re-do this song with better transitions - and without switching timing signatures in such a big way.

Thank you both for the input!

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Old 09-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
I3ANNED
Learning The Ropes
I3ANNED is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Awesome, what program do you use?
I3ANNED is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:59 AM   #6
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820

Some quality sounds and rhythms going on for sure. I love how everything plays together thru the track. Good stuff
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Valk
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3ANNED View Post
Awesome, what program do you use?
Ableton Live 9.6, it's very flexible in terms of resampling, vst support and Midi data tricks.

The drums are a little funny with their timing as well as the synths because I play them in using Overdub more (Additive note recording as in it adds the notes I play on top each time) - this Is why it doesn't sound 100% 4 on the floor, but also why there's some parts that aren't in time very well

The synths are all made with Ableton's Operator which is a very pretty and fun synth

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Some quality sounds and rhythms going on for sure. I love how everything plays together thru the track. Good stuff
Thank you very much, i'm glad you liked it

------------------
Old 10-10-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1560

Might start of a bit hard to follow at first, but if you stick with it, all becomes clear.

I actually liked it... nice choice of sounds and nothing was "stationary," if you know what I mean...

As for genre... I don't have a clue. What is "house" anyway?

cheers

andy
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Valk - Dilation
Old 10-10-2016, 11:38 PM   #9
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836827

Had a quick listen through. Love the pads and melodie (very aphex) the drums are just a little too clean for me and love to hear a little glitch or two on them and some cripsy bacon eq, to help break it up. Sounds good though.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #10
kennytynan
Minor Glitch
kennytynan will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Very unique sounding, but you are forgetting the "d" factor with them dodgy parts no matter how experimental you are trying to go. It throws the dancer off to much. But if thats what you were going for, hey, its suubjective. Good track, drums are a little too loud. Compress that high melody sound. Theres far too many dynamics going on there imo.
kennytynan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enoughtivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 110

To be honest, I don't like it, because I didn't understand the concept of your track and it sounds little bit 'random' to me. Maybe it was the idea but it didn't make me nod my head
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Valk
Microknight

Thank you all for your input!
I think I have been letting the liberal in me go too far outside the rules - making it harder to listen to my music.
I'll work on my timings, rhythms, composition and track layout so that I don't lose my listener.

thank you Andy! I really try to make my sounds unique.

I changed the title to House because it seemed like it kinda almost fit in there - except I forgot that 99% of house is dance-able to and mine- not so much >.>

I usually don't start a track with a genre in mind and that's part of why I struggle to make music that is coherent to others.

After another listen I do agree, the drums do need more flavour, I totally missed frying the drums!
thank you for the input!

With the 'd' factor do you mean the dancer?

I wasn't aiming to throw off a dancer but yeah I hear exactly that happening no that you've mentioned it, I was more going for a dancing-with-your-mind type of song but this could have sounded better with more solid tempo emphasis.

What do you mean by "Theres far too many dynamics going on there"
I think this song might have appealed to you more with a bunch of notes less and the remaining ones more precisely laid out to put emphasis on the actual beat?

That's valuable input, thank you!

I was a bit burnt out and mad when I made it, I don't feel bad that you don't like it and thank you for telling me why too!
For sure the next few tracks I make are gonna be noddable and danceable.

I realize now why it's better to make music to a genre - at least if you're a novice like me.
If you try to go too far away from the norm, you lose what makes other people listen to your music and feel something - sharing the feels is why I make music.

I feel like I grew a little

------------------
Old 18-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Valk
Microknight

Oh no I 'thanked' myself by accident
Old 18-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

i like the track valk..

my main critique is just the mix. there is too much background stuff going on, so it doesn't have much focus. if you could pick a few parts that you want to be the focal point at any particular moment, and mix them a little more aggressively (less stereo stuff, less delay/verb, less modulation, maybe add some saturation) I think people would have an easier time following the action. As it is right now, a lot of great ideas but theyre kind of gelling together into some mush mixwise.. i'm listening on my shitty living room speakers tho.

keep it up bro! And do a beat battle this month.. i put some good samples up

the ending is super dope.

Advertisements

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote