[Chill DnB] Rapitops - 290816 [WIP]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 29-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 2010
[Chill DnB] Rapitops - Break the Fall

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Hey, I've been working on this track for a while now and would enjoy all feedback and ideas you might have
Thanks!

Last edited by DjRapitops; 12-10-2016 at 06:47 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
DjRapitops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Chill DnB] Rapitops - 290816 [WIP].
Old 29-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #2
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978
Re: [Chill DnB] Rapitops - 290816 [WIP]

A decent start point overall. Bit samey, could do with more dynamic changes overall.

More incidentals at the points you change the instruments would also help keep the progression flowing along, liked the sounds used for the melodies although pianos are a bit boring for me.
Drums are barely there and get abruptly louder when the extra layer in added or whatever is going on. why not make more interesting ones or use ones that are meant to be subtle rather than using a beat that wants to sound loud but barely cuts through the mix. Maybe more percussion to add a more interesting groove overall.

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Renthebathroom
Renthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the roughRenthebathroom is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I would dance to this track if I hear it in a club, at least until around 2min, then I think the listener/dancer will start to feel the need of some kind of variety. The drums are heavy in a loud way which may contribute to the fatigue. IMO, the track need to have a different bass line at some point to generate a sort of musical twist and keep the listener and dancer interested. And overall maybe a more dynamic/less loud mastering, keeping a balance beetween the two. But keep up the good work.
Renthebathroom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
DjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond reputeDjRapitops has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki

Heyy, thanks for the feedback.
Have you got some examples I could reference, I'm pretty new to DnB

------------------
Old 30-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #5
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Old Good Looking records releases (the progression sessions mixes are quite a trove if you can find them online).
A lot of Calibres back catalogue would be relevant.
Mav, ICR, Naibu, Synkro, Gatz, Oak and Bop all might be worth a listen as well.

They all have musical elements and differing degrees of complexity across the rest of the elements from Calibre being quite simple in some of his piano based tracks to oak and bops very glitchy vibes with a lot of layers.

Might add more to check out if anything pops into mind.

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 30-08-2016 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Keep adding more peeps to listen to

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1836877

It's a clean sound, but overall lacking depth and variation with the drums and structure.
Keep going at it, needs some variation and sense of the track building up and taking the listener somewhere. The compression sounds wrong along the whole track on the drums, otherwise tuneful.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #7
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

I'm still working on implementing some ideas in this thread, but I noticed that the pad sound is barely there.
Muting it made the mix a bit more clear, but I'm no longer sure whether or not it makes the mix sound empty as well (listening fatigue).
Could you people help me out?

Current drop with pad:

Current drop without pad:
Old 24-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
Luke_Nukem
Granular Poster
Luke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really niceLuke_Nukem is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Nice clean sound. Feel the drums lack a bit of flow. I'm not a fan of that mid range wobble metallic sounding synth at about 0.51, would maybe be OK if used a bit sparingly but is a bit too much when just constantly going. I think sometimes in general there is a bit too much going on melodically, could do with a bit more space to let it breathe, create more impact with the best bits of the tune and don't overdo it.

------------------
Luke_Nukem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #9
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

The drums can definitely use some work. Either change the whole sample or add some more to the arrangement. OR you can speed up the track a bit. On the melodic side, you have a lot of good ideas here. They all sound good. Sometimes it's better to just stick with 1 or 2 key elements and "feed" it with proper elements that will compliment it in the end.

I like this a lot tho. Great work.

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
DjRapitops
IDMf Supporter
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Nukem View Post
Nice clean sound. Feel the drums lack a bit of flow. I'm not a fan of that mid range wobble metallic sounding synth at about 0.51, would maybe be OK if used a bit sparingly but is a bit too much when just constantly going. I think sometimes in general there is a bit too much going on melodically, could do with a bit more space to let it breathe, create more impact with the best bits of the tune and don't overdo it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyus View Post
The drums can definitely use some work. Either change the whole sample or add some more to the arrangement. OR you can speed up the track a bit. On the melodic side, you have a lot of good ideas here. They all sound good. Sometimes it's better to just stick with 1 or 2 key elements and "feed" it with proper elements that will compliment it in the end.

I like this a lot tho. Great work.
I do agree, the drums are the weakest part of the track.
Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

------------------
Old 25-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
foilmusiq
Granular Poster
foilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura aboutfoilmusiq has a spectacular aura about
Zg
MC Status: 210

That reese sound is not in track, my opinion that this kind of atmo dnb is better with only sub. and drums are too repetive, , this is DnB be crazy, try listening to old Metalheadz stuf. or, virus, am am old dnb head so...

Advertisements

------------------
foilmusiq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote