Why FL 12 is clippin very easily?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 21-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #1
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to allpavleas is a name known to all
Athens
MC Status: 610
Icon4 Why FL 12 is clippin very easily?

When i use fl 12, and i put lets say a basic beat loop , a melody and some fx, it is clipping... i mean it why it clips with so little stuff? and each sound is not more than -4 db.. I am using FL 12 for like 7 months, and this thing happens the last 3 months. Anyone knows how to fix this? and please dont say limiter

Advertisements

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #2
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Why FL 12 is clippin very easily?

Have you tried lowering the volume?
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Oatbag (21-01-2016)
Old 21-01-2016, 02:31 AM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110100
Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,412 Posts

Turn down the things. If each thing is at -4dB and you add a bunch of things together, the total sum of sound is now clipping.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 29760

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
When i use fl 12, and i put lets say a basic beat loop , a melody and some fx, it is clipping... i mean it why it clips with so little stuff? and each sound is not more than -4 db..

Lol.. Each sound is -4 db? Think you answered your own question buddy.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 05:53 AM   #5
LustHouse
Analog Lurker
LustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of lightLustHouse is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Clipping before mastering has always one answer - put these mother fockin faders down. THOUGH if you said it's ONLY began last few month then check your sound drivers / headphones / OS eq settings etc.

I still sometimes have nightmares about situation after re-installing my windows. Sound was a bit weird and I couldnt get why. About month or two past by, then I checked local OS EQ settings and realized on a scale of 10 SOMEHOW it was at -10 bass and +8 tremble the whole time. FACEPALM
LustHouse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

In a lot of traditional, old fashioned, console-based studios, engineers would start out with all tracks around -18 dB.
This is with respect to ~16-32 track consoles of the 1990s, where full mixes were done.

If you think about it, every +6 dB is a doubling of volume, and every -6 dB is a halving of volume.
So if you have two tracks that both have full scale 100% amplitude peaks, both will need to be around -6 dB to prevent them from ever clipping when you mix them together.

So if you work it out mathematically, for say 16 tracks or more, you will need them each to be pretty low to ever prevent clipping unless you use compression or limiting or transient shapers.

As it turns out, however, for music, most of the time sounds don't add together linearly. What they taught us in sound engineering school was that two 100% amplitude sounds mixed together will often add up to an amount slightly less than 200% because of the nature of waveforms often having areas where they cancel each other out somewhat. But it's not guaranteed.

Anyways, I'd say try initial levels of -18 dBfs and turn up the volume of your amplifier. And as the tune progresses, start using some channel-based limiting/compression/transient shaping.

Good luck

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
pavleas (21-01-2016)