Help with Genres
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912
Help with Genres

Hey guys, I'm having some huge trouble finding what my sound is, genre-wise. I'm a big EDM fan, but I'm out of touch with all the sub-genres.

My music is kinda all of the place, and when someone asks what kind of music I do I stumble around like I have elbows for feet. Some of it's dubsteppy-ish-ness so I call it that, but most of it is totally beyond me.

If anyone wants to help I'll post a link to a track that has really dumbfounded me. I don't want to spam you guys and I know this isn't the listening booth. If I need to have 30 posts or whatnot I'll just wait till then and go into the LB.

And this emote is tits :banalama:

EDIT eh I got my sig back, so its in that. i read over the guide for this forum, if this is unlawful promotion KILL THE THREAD IN A BLOODY RAMPAGE OF SIN ENCRUSTED DOOMERY

Last edited by Wulfsok; 06-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: cuz

Advertisements

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Bgnyse
Regular Freak
Bgnyse has a spectacular aura aboutBgnyse has a spectacular aura about
Home of the brave
MC Status: 160
Re: Help with Genres

I'm playing it safe here and saying somewhere along ambient electronic.
Bgnyse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Lullaby For Madmen
Thanks to Bgnyse
Wulfsok (08-07-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Wulfsok
IDMf Supporter
Wulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MCWulfsok is a savage MC
Wulf Palace
MC Status: 40912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgnyse View Post
I'm playing it safe here and saying somewhere along ambient electronic.
thats what i kept thinking. that is a pretty save assumption, but ambient to me is like a long journey through someones mind foregoing popular shit like rolling build ups and distorted bass. i throw that stuff in mainly to practice building patches.

gonna just go back to idm. thats a pretty safe little hole to crawl into

thanks for confirming me suspicions

------------------
Wulfsok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #4
Oscifer
Minor Glitch
Oscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really niceOscifer is just really nice
Milwaukee, WI
MC Status: 410

Maybe it's just me but, I try not to think about genres. Genres are inherently limiting, thus making evolution of your sound difficult to achieve. Just say you make electronic music.
Oscifer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts

I really liked your track, I'm guessing we are commenting on the one in your signature? I would definitely classify this as ambient electronic although your percussion is a little more upbeat closer to a house beat.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Methuselah
Analog Lurker
Methuselah is a jewel in the roughMethuselah is a jewel in the roughMethuselah is a jewel in the roughMethuselah is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 314

I'm also going to have to vouch for the whole 'dont worry about it' thing. People will listen to track of mine and ask me what genre it is, and I just answer with 'I honestly don't even know'. Because I don't. And it doesn't really detract from the ability to enjoy the song so it never manages to get under my skin.

Plus you feel hella cool when you tell people you 'have no idea', then they listen to it... And then tell you 'yup, that sounds about right'. #2cool4categorization
Methuselah is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510

Here's two things you might consider: ((((1)))) Classify your songs as composite genres; e.g. "Ambient Electro-Dubstep", "Dark Progressive Trance", "Chiptune House", etc.((((2)))) Just make up new genres. Think of accurate words that describe your music style. For example, I like to make a lot of melodic stuff and mix it will all sorts of weird styles -- so I've called things stuff like "Color-changing Houseparty Headbash Breakbeats", er you get my drift. I used to get hung up on "um, what genre is this shit I just made?.... and I'd go ask my friends for their thoughts or post it in the Listening Booth to see what people would say, but in the end, none of it mattered and you can always call your stuff just "Electronic" and nobody will complain.

Advertisements

arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote