What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:55 PM   #81
DJ Alex
Granular Poster
DJ Alex will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: What's the best production tip(s) you've learned/discovered so far?

That you don't need a musical history to make music
But you do need dedication

Advertisements

DJ Alex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #82
ViciousREC
Regular Freak
ViciousREC is just really niceViciousREC is just really niceViciousREC is just really niceViciousREC is just really nice
California
MC Status: 360

"If it sounds good, it is good."
ViciousREC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #83
ResoVoid
Learning The Ropes
ResoVoid will become famous soon enough

Sometimes a note less is a note more.
I learned that from Varien in one of his song breakdowns (I think Lilith) and it really gives the whole song space to breathe
ResoVoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #84
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

If you're getting frustrated with something walking away from the computer to do something else, for even five minutes, makes a huge difference. You come back with a fresh perspective and rested ears. Always good to step away from the same loop you've been listening to for the last hour.

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to strkssinthes
Yzarc (29-08-2014)
Old 29-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #85
Yzarc
Savage Mad Cunt
Yzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MCYzarc is a savage MC
MC Status: 30760

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkssinthes View Post
If you're getting frustrated with something walking away from the computer to do something else, for even five minutes, makes a huge difference. You come back with a fresh perspective and rested ears. Always good to step away from the same loop you've been listening to for the last hour.
There is science behind this. The particular network of neurons in the brain that represent the song you're working on burn out from being over stimulated by the same sensory input.

Give them recharge time. It's like magic when you return to a song the next day and it seems to have regained the magic again where before, it was becoming dull.

Last edited by Yzarc; 29-08-2014 at 04:02 PM..

------------------
** UTTERLY FECKIN' BRILLIANT TUNE **
https://soundcloud.com/windfallen/kernow

coming soon on my label ....I wish
Yzarc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 05:37 PM   #86
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

On the opposite side, try and remove distractions when intending on working on a track. The internet really takes my time away from me so easily.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Optimal Prime
Nystagmus (29-08-2014)
Old 29-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #87
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts

Spend several days to make your own libraries of sound loops and riffs and one-shots. Label them well and keep them sorted in folders. Have fun making them, and don't hold back. Then, when you get to work on your tunes on a different day, you'll have great source of material to fill in the gaps of each tune so each one can be amazing!

I have finally started reading about some famous artists who do this also, and it's making sense. It also helps defeat creative blockage.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Kvlt O))) (02-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #88
Optimal Prime
Ghostly
Optimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimal Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Greater Manchester
MC Status: 6710

This one is an area I've only recently been thinking more about, as I tend to work on a track each time I'm doing something, rather than making sounds and ideas for future use. I find it hard not to get down onto something new, but it can be much easier when you have a lot of your own material ready in samples to put together. If you spend too much time doing this while making a track, you can very easily burn out the idea you are working on and sometimes the quickest way is to use loops from other sample cd's, therefore to be more original and more creative, separate the music composing from the samples and sounds side like mentioned above.

------------------
Newest Track: Powercyan - Disciples of the Night (Optimal Prime 'Future DnB Remix')

Optimal Prime is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #89
voortrekkers
Minor Glitch
voortrekkers is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Always always highpass instruments to leave space for the bassdrum and the bassline. And also make automations to the high pass, casuse sometimes during breakdowns a synthline will sound better with some low end.
voortrekkers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #90
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikkiSho View Post
A good melody is about the relationship between the pitches/notes. The relationship - and therefore the melody - can be improved by manipulating elements like pitch/harmony, timing/arrangement, emphasis/velocity, adsr shape... I dont know if making a melody is "easier" once you've chosen the particular sound/timbre, but changing the timbre or instrument can certainly change the dynamic/mood/emotion.
I agree completely on choosing the proper sound. It works that way for me anyway. The sound/timbre for me carries special emotion and feeling that I need to get into a mindset to make a specific melody. For example I do not write dubstep basses on a piano. The note length, velocity etc all depends on the timbre.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #91
TamagoNoise7
Analog Lurker
TamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud ofTamagoNoise7 has much to be proud of
Canton, OH
MC Status: 1060

Being more organized when i first start a track instead of just kinda jumping in and throwing fx all over the place and making a mess that has to be organized and fixed later on. I've been trying to go back to old tracks from years ago and holy shit it's a nightmare trying to fix everything. I never had anyone to teach me anything I spent years just figuring shit out on my own. Over the years i gradually started picking up new things, I took the time to research and learn as much as i could and started to really take pride in my work. Understanding headroom, FX chains and how to EQ properly were big ones for me. My sound began to improve drastically after learning those things. But yea i feel being organized and having a sort of system i think is the key to having a more enjoyable and productive session.
TamagoNoise7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TamagoNoise7
Yzarc (12-09-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #92
quantumcode
Minor Glitch
quantumcode has a spectacular aura aboutquantumcode has a spectacular aura about
Calgary
MC Status: 160

Cutting frequencies > boosting frequencies.

For me, whenever I boost frequencies, the mix always doesn't sound right. My main problem is dealing with the highs frequencies. I actually used to boost high frequencies since the mids were taking over. I found a significant improvement when I cut the frequencies that just sounded like noise and made the mix messier.

------------------
quantumcode is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #93
Abfahrt Yeah!
Minor Glitch
Abfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura aboutAbfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura aboutAbfahrt Yeah! has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Learn everything about chord progressions.

Unfortunately, my knowledges at that are still painfully neglible
Abfahrt Yeah! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #94
esneson969
Learning The Ropes
esneson969 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Put your volume level around 65% when mixing
esneson969 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #95
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Automate as much as you can. The most subtle automations all add up to give your track movement and life. It can be something as small as automating the dry wet of a phaser from 0 to 20% at certain parts of a melody like a sustained note on a lead synth. Or like automating different legato and portmanteau settings at different points in the melody. The possibilities are endless. Also make use of controllers. That is, assigning a whole bunch of parameters to one knob and then automating that knob (like macros in massive). I know this can be easily done in FL and Ableton, not sure about other DAWs but you most likely can (would be whack if you can't).
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CallAndResponse
Yzarc (13-09-2014)
Old 14-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #96
BMBVYG
Minor Glitch
BMBVYG will become famous soon enough
Seattle Wa

One of the best things i was taught was to record with my level low enough as to where when i mix and master in the end my sound isnt clipping. i know this sounds obvious but i used to record close to the mic or on bass id crank it hight then when i mixed down i was losing some "umph" out my bass and my vocals were garbage
BMBVYG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #97
Roary Brown
Learning The Ropes
Roary Brown will become famous soon enough
Wellington
Some good stuff in here.

I find having pen and paper on hand to take notes on your mix is quite underrated. Especially when listening the next day with fresh airs.

I was also told once to have respect for compression and not get carried away with it unnecessarily. This helped a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voortrekkers View Post
Always always highpass instruments to leave space for the bassdrum and the bassline.
Such a simple thing yet so important!

Last edited by lolirl; 15-09-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Roary Brown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 02:41 PM   #98
tr0pusfear
Learning The Ropes
tr0pusfear will become famous soon enough

Probably EQing things which also helped me realize that everything has its place on the frequency spectrum.

Last edited by tr0pusfear; 21-09-2014 at 06:30 PM..
tr0pusfear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to tr0pusfear
Yzarc (21-09-2014)
Old 21-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #99
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

That everything is a balance or restoration of balance. It's not about how many fancy layers you have compartmentalized into their own buses, it's how you use your resources and skills to bring a song to life. Some recipes call for different amounts of ingredients, but at the end of the day it needs to taste pretty balanced. And it doesn't always need high-fructose corn syrup or salt, depending on what it is.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Yzarc (21-09-2014)
Old 23-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #100
ArkXive
Granular Poster
ArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of lightArkXive is a glorious beacon of light
Philly
MC Status: 460

Study music theory and composition and practice it on a physical instrument. Listen to all different kinds of music! A well rounded sense of harmony and timbre will make the arrangement, sound choice, and writing process much easier since you won't be fiddling around to get the sound you're looking for for hours.

Advertisements

ArkXive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote