[Happy DnB] MonkeyToast - Happy Times Sad Times
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 25-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
MonkeyToast
Minor Glitch
MonkeyToast is currently spamming hard
Ístersund
MC Status: 10
Icon3 [Happy DnB] MonkeyToast - Happy Times Sad Times

I've quite recently gotten into electronic music and I'm trying out all different kinds of genres to get started. So this is what happened when I tried out DnB:

So please tell me what you think! I appreciate any type of feedback as I'm dying to improve with this kind of music ^^

Advertisements

MonkeyToast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Happy DnB] MonkeyToast - Happy Times Sad Times.
Old 25-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
pkreegi
Microknight
pkreegi will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Re: [Happy DnB] MonkeyToast - Happy Times Sad Times

Having never done dnb, i still think that this genre cannot go with house kick. What i mean is, that the kick is a bit too punchy. But ey, what the hell i know about this
pkreegi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
MonkeyToast
Minor Glitch
Ístersund

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkreegi View Post
Having never done dnb, i still think that this genre cannot go with house kick. What i mean is, that the kick is a bit too punchy. But ey, what the hell i know about this
I'll still have a look into it! Even if it's a personal opinion it's definitely worth looking into
So thanks!
Old 27-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #4
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

The lead synth kind of ughd me. The mood and idea were there, but I agree about the kick. Its good for a early drum n bass song.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
MonkeyToast
Minor Glitch
Ístersund

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
The lead synth kind of ughd me. The mood and idea were there, but I agree about the kick. Its good for a early drum n bass song.
Oh, haven't heard anything negative about the lead before, and I personally enjoy it quite a lot. ^^ Could you explain how it ughd you?

Yeah.. I need to work on my drums overall. Haven't paid too much attention to that before now. Which is kinda dumb as it fills such a big role for your music.

And thanks for listening and the feedback!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
charlton1
Microknight
charlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlton1 is a glorious beacon of light
Peterborough
MC Status: 510

Hi, i'm a big old skool DnB fan and i can be quite a harsh critic so please don't take it personally, we put our tracks online for feedback

I honestly think its a really good first attempt at DnB but i'm not even sure if i would class it as DnB, i mean the tempo and basic 2 step drums are there but it doesn't have anything else.

I find the drums to have no "Roll" and whilst the piano is nice its just too much cheese for me mate and the main synth also has cheddar in it.

Tip on the drums.. layer and layer your drums. if all you have is a kick, snare and hats you probably don't have enough. look at getting some old skool funk samples then resequence and layer them in. It takes a lot of time to get used to DnB drum programming. i personally find guys like Fanu to be outstanding so maybe take a listen to him. Drum programming is a skill on its own and takes a lot of time to get any good at.

I personally don't like the style because its way to happy happy and it just doesn't gel with me.

all the best
c
charlton1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #7
MonkeyToast
Minor Glitch
Ístersund

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlton1 View Post
Hi, i'm a big old skool DnB fan and i can be quite a harsh critic so please don't take it personally, we put our tracks online for feedback

I honestly think its a really good first attempt at DnB but i'm not even sure if i would class it as DnB, i mean the tempo and basic 2 step drums are there but it doesn't have anything else.

I find the drums to have no "Roll" and whilst the piano is nice its just too much cheese for me mate and the main synth also has cheddar in it.

Tip on the drums.. layer and layer your drums. if all you have is a kick, snare and hats you probably don't have enough. look at getting some old skool funk samples then resequence and layer them in. It takes a lot of time to get used to DnB drum programming. i personally find guys like Fanu to be outstanding so maybe take a listen to him. Drum programming is a skill on its own and takes a lot of time to get any good at.

I personally don't like the style because its way to happy happy and it just doesn't gel with me.

all the best
c
Hey, I'm always eager to see in which ways I can improve, so no worries mate. I'll even say thank you ^^

And I get what you're saying, I did try to take inspiration from DnB but ended up doing something a bit different.

Oh, and I'll definitely look into your tips for the drums as that's the part I'm struggling the most with. Even though I've been playing music for a while now (mostly non-electronic stuff) I know almost nothing about drums.

My first take on electronic music was chiptunes, so that's probably where the "awful" cheerfulness comes from, I still tend to take quite a lot of inspiration from it as I personally enjoy happy sounds.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your thoughts and advice on how to improve! It'll definitely be of help

Advertisements